What's new

SVS PB1-Plus or PB2-Plus (1 Viewer)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Yes, please recalibrate your system to RL (Avia 85 dB at MV 0.0 ) and then post your MV setting at your loudest preferred playback level. Also post some SPL bass peaks on c-weighted fast on some bassy DVD scenes.

The PB1+ and the PB2+ will sound nearly identical up to the clean limits of the PB1+. If you will never need the awesome capabilities of the PB2+, then put your greenbacks into the furniture grade finish and the PEQ.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
I have nearly the same size room and features as you, right down to the large 3 section window.

Trust me when I tell you the PB1+ will be more than enough sub for you....I own one and am very satisfied with it. I too considered the PB2+ but the wood made the difference for me and I am very happy with my decision.

I can't imagine the bass and listening levels some of these guys must endure on here. The PB1+ will rock your world and you will have a woodgrain finish that will make the wife happier.

They are BIG BIG BIG, so be warned. The pictures don't give you a very good idea of how large these puppies really are, so make sure you want a sub that large.

I honestly can't imagine needing more bass, unless I wanted to turn my house into a dance studio. As it stands now I'd be willing to bet I have better sound and more bass at volumes than most of the clubs I've been to recently.

TonyWright

Second Unit
Stephen,

Would you happen to have any pictures of your sub in it's environment so I can get a better idea of it's size?

Ed,

I wasn't able to get my reference level information last night. I hope to be able to get it today. I'll post it as soon as I have completed the test. Sorry for the delay.

Tony

TonyWright

Second Unit
Ok here is my reference level information. I set all of my speakers to flat. Then I used the Avia DVD to calibrate them all to 85dB. I used a master volume of -10 because the 00 volume setting had all of my speakers over 85dB. So, with -10MV the following adjustments were needed to achieve 85dB per channel:

Front Left: 6dB hot
Center: 7dB hot
Front Right: 5dB hot
Right Surround: 5dB hot
Left Surround: 3dB hot

After setting those levels, I started watching Star Wars Episode II to try to determine my comfortable listening levels. I found that I would tend to listen at -15 to -20 from reference.

With my reference level of -10MV I watched a portion of Episode II at -25MV. Most of my SPL peaks were in the mid 90's. Some were at 97dB. I also had a few over 100dB, one in particluar that hit 104dB

At this point I am guessing that the PB1+ might even be considered overkill for my listening habits. I'll still shoot for that sub though.

Any thoughts?

Tony

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Pretty much right where I pegged you. A single Plus driver will be perfect for those listening levels.

While you could sneak by with the ISD woofer, you won't find the wood finish and PEQ with that driver. And you always want a bit of headroom built into the sub to avoid compression and keep THD really low. At those levels the Plus driver will only be working moderately hard, and will have at least 7-8 dB of headroom - just the ticket for dynamic and clean bass.

TonyWright

Second Unit
Ed,

Thanks very much for all the help. I really appreciate it. Hopefully soon I will be able to place my order and get things set in my little theater.

Stephen (a few posts up) was kind enough to send me some pics of his PB1+. The furniture grade finish looks amazing and I think the American-Antique will be perfect for my room.

I think my wife may be coming around. So hopefully it will happen soon. I'll post here as details arise and when I take delivery I'll post my impressions.

Thanks again.

Tony

TonyWright

Second Unit
BTW Stephen,

I used to live in Canton. Back when I was just a kid, my dad worked for GM in Livonia and my mom was in school at U of M Dearborn. I can't quite remember how long but I think we were there for approximately 5 years. We lived on a road called Coronation Ct. off of a road called Cherry Hill I believe. I had some good friends that lived in Farmington Hills. Is that still a really nice area? It's been quite some time since I have been back to the motor city.

Just thought that it was interesting that you were from Canton.

Tony

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Yes, its still a nice area. I'm familiar with Cherry Hill, but not the street you lived on. Nice place to live. Even though your Father worked for the "enemy"!

Scott_Tu

Auditioning
I'm a happy PB2 Ultra owner (American Antique) who also lived in Canton, now Rochester MI. Small world!

TonyWright

Second Unit
Scott,

Would you happen to have any pictures of the American Antique finish? I would really like to see what it looks like on the sub rather than just seeing the little square color swatch on the SVS website.

No worries if you don't have any pictures of it. Just thought I'd ask.

Tony

TonyWright

Second Unit
Good news on the Sub front!

I had 2 obstacles blocking me from placing my SVS order. The first was a bill I had to pay for my monitor. I got the bill today and paid it off. The next is a bill for my receiver. I have very little left to pay on it.

This means that technically I should be able to place my order very soon. The wife is pretty touchy about her check book I guess. I had to play ball here. :)

Anyway, hopefully I'll get that order placed soon.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks