What's new

SVS owners.. how long did it take to irritate the wife? (1 Viewer)

michael_mo

Stunt Coordinator
I got my sub friday night.
Played around with connections...
Put in LOTR 1
5:35 into the prologue scene my wife comes downstairs and yells at me that the pictures are shaking on the wall.....
And, the scary part, I didnt even have it too loud. Had two sleeping kids, so i didnt even "test" the sub yet!

Thank you SVS !!!:D :D :emoji_thumbsup:

MikeTrotter

Agent
Don't have a wife.But I PO the neighbors 10 minutes after hooking sub up.And I was calibrating it when the knock on the door happened.:D

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I don't have a SVS but I do have a DIY from RAD and when ever I want to show it off I throw in The Matrix lobby shoot out scene. I really don't push it that hard but I told my friend as soon as I played it I said 8 seconds. He said what are you talking about? I said till my wife comes in here sayin do you think you have it loud enough? I was just about right. She loves HT stuff but not while she is on the phone or talking to her friend in the kitchen.

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
i dont have a wife.. i have a mother :D

when i get the old "do you think you have it loud enough?!" i just give a very polite "hmm you're right, i suppose not *Cranks it*"

same applies for my guitar amp..

mmmm50 all tube watts of headache ;)

Joel~Solid

Agent
For me...... about 10 minutes for the first day. She was nice then. Now probably about 30 seconds at Ref level. :D

Joel

So basically I watch action movies when she is out of the house.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Guess I am one of the fortunate souls who has a significant other who revels in good and solid sound as much as I. We listen to our system loud and I fully expect to shake anything that isn't tied down. My SVS has given us a world of pleasure and jaw dropping looks when we turn things on for friends and she brags to others about our system more than I do.
My 7 year old is the one who often sticks his head out of his room and hollers turn it down. He has his own small HT system and seems we drown him out!

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Lets see, the first night I had it I had a couple of noise complaints in the dorm and the first night I had it at home, over christmas break I showed it off to my dad and my mom was up in 3 seconds

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
ive luckily had no noise complaints so far. it rumbles my neighbors room pretty quickly, and i was told this year we have an suite of EMTs above us this year, so they may end up complaining at some point. hopefully they will be adults about it and just come talk to me rather than calling campus police.

JerryCulp

Stunt Coordinator
My wife likes bass, but it took only seconds to SCARE her!
My room is above the garage and before calibrating I fired it up to what seemed like a good level and floor felt like it rippled! She was sure the game room would fall into the garage! :)

She got over that quickly and even let me order a PB2+ to replace the 20-39PCi. What a great gal she is!

Robert Lovejoy

Stunt Coordinator
I too am fortunate in having a wife who loves our 20-39PC+.
We had an ordinary box sub before the SVS which imparted an artificial heaviness to the bass. With the SVS the bass is far more natural - uncolored if you will. The bass is simply just there, as it was recorded, so she loves it because it's less boomy.

But she loves it when loud deep bass is recorded and the thing shakes the house too!

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
Don't own a SVS but I do own a HSU VTF-3 that I just got up and running friday. About 40 minutes ago while watching "We Were Soldiers Once" I shook a couple of dishes loose in the cupboard and one of her favorite pieces of glassware off of the microwave. Even though the WAF factor initially was high it has now waned trememdously.

While setting the trim on my Sherbourn PT-7000 I isolated and cranked the bass and was able to shake the walls and floor trememdously.

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
I also have a very understanding wife!

She is buying me both a SECOND SVS, plus an ISD for my older SVS for my birthday

:):):):)

Will order it today or tomorrow, and I already cant wait to get it!

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
If my wife is actually in the room, I would be lucky if I can get it past -25db. She has actually gotton worse and more disaproving of my gear as the days go on. When I give a demo for someone, she leaves the house!!

About the only time I really get to crank the system is Saturday mornings when she is out at garage sales for eBay fodder.

Ahhhh, gotta love the SVS B4+. Drives the wife outta the house, and the complaining along with her. hehehe.

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
I am waiting for my parents is start losing their hearing, as they get older, the sub will be tuned louder and louder..

John Doran

Screenwriter
my wife was ok with it until about 6 months ago when our first baby was born.

now i have to wait until she's out of the house.

actually, it's an apartment, and what i can say is that i either have very understanding neighbours, deaf neighbours, or no neighbours at all, because when i do take the old B4+ out for a casual spin at reference, i haven't received one complaint. zero. zilch.

maybe they think the balrog lives in my apartment..... :D

Bob Brick

Grip
To James Doran:
So you're using the sub in an apartment!!!!

I can tell you your neighbors aren't deaf, because even the deaf will feel all those low frequencies. My guess is that they're all out together at a meeting trying to figure out how to evict you. After all, they're paying rent for peaceful shelter, which you must be shattering with your HT soundtrack. Better use headphones before they show up at your door with torches and pitchforks.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
My fiance complained on the second demo scene after I hooked my 20-39pci up. She said it was just too loud. We watched Tears of the Sun last night and to my surprise she actually said it sounded good!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks