What's new

SVS compared to others? Opinions (1 Viewer)

BobL

Agent
Tom I'm going to direct this post to you as I feel you have been honest answering other users on this forum and I'm sure you would reply anyway. I would appreciate everyone's opinion.
I am considering an SVS subwoofer system. I am currently in the design process of our new home. My design seems to change frequently but generally I am looking at a room of 3500-4000 cu ft. It might be bigger if I go with cathedral ceilings. Here are some of my thoughts and other subwoofers I am looking into. My use is about 60% HT and 40% music but I value music quality heavily and do listem to some pieces with

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Tom I'm going to direct this post to you as I feel you have been honest answering other users on this forum and I'm sure you would reply anyway. I would appreciate everyone's opinion.I am considering an SVS subwoofer system. I am currently in the design process of our new home. My design seems to change frequently but generally I am looking at a room of 3500-4000 cu ft. It might be bigger if I go with cathedral ceilings. Here are some of my thoughts and other subwoofers I am looking into. My use is about 60% HT and 40% music but I value music quality heavily and do listem to some pieces with >>Single Revel B15>>Subs Already tested and didn't like (IMHO) for various reasons.
Single M & K 5000 THX MKII
Single Velodyne FSR 18
Single Velodyne HGS-18
Bag End Infrasub-18
Sunfire True Sub signature

BobL

Agent
Wow! You responded very quickly, Tom. Thank you for responding.
Reference levels for DVD? Occasionaly, depends on movie/ music.
Velodyne Subs? I get to listen to the HGS-18 frequently as my friend has one. It has great LF output and can really rumble a room. Great for HT and organ music. It just didn't sound as clean/ tight as some of the others at >~30-40hz. Also, the notable hum is slightly bothersome but not a major factor since I can only hear it on exceptionally quiet pieces.
My current favorite is the Revel. I'll be listening to the Genelec and Paradigm soon. The Martin Logan dealer doesn't have one yet but I didn't know if anyone has seen or heard it at a show.
I haven't listened to any SVS yet. But, the reviews are fantastic. When the house is near completion. I'll probably buy the dual CS Ultra and whatever is my other top choice. Try them both and return the one I didn't choose.
I like the idea of going with a higher end parametric EQ.
Thanks again for your input.
Bob

J

John Morris

Bob: I too have been impressed with the Revel subwoofer... as well as the Aerial subwoofer. BUT I own a SVS ULtra subwoofer.
I'd recommend the dual Ultras.....
plus a Crown K1, or K2....
plus either a single Symetrix 551E or Rane PE-17 (not PE-15, too noisy) if running subs in mono, or two of either if running stereo, or dual, non mono.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!
[Edited last by John Morris on September 22, 2001 at 01:21 AM]

ling_w

Second Unit
You would have to take into consideration the type of speaker you have and its dispersion pattern, since integration between your existing speakers with front firing, bottom firing, dipole, bipole subs is not just placing it in the corner and doing a 75dB match.
One thing the Revel does have is a highly flexible electronic crossover section, with variable freq/slope, plus it would be of audiophile quality, which is very important if you are doing filtering of any type. Of course, this would not be relevant if you are running it off the LFE. I don't know if you are in the camp which believes 1KW of power for $299 is just as good as any others.
One other sub that offers alot of musical performance are the Rel subs, especially since they have a dual connection mode for HT and music. This way, you are not stuck on some mfg's LFE crossover freq when using it for music. But their music mode is via bass augmentation. So it will add bass extension to your speakers, but not really headroom. Most music are not cranking out 110dB@20hz, so it should not be of concern, but on the ones that are, it should be easy to run it in HT mode.
I did hear the Revel though, in a 5 ch, 5 sub setup playing much of Telarc's 5ch recording, including their new 1812 overture. Quite impressive, although it was dialed a bit too high, but it was rarely noticable since they crossed it at 40hz - 48dB/oct.
[Edited last by ling_w on September 24, 2001 at 09:28 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks