What's new

I think I hate my new Klipsch speakers (1 Viewer)

jmmdm2

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I purchased a Klipsch 7.1 system from Worst Buy about two weeks ago.

The first movie I watched in 7.1 was awesome, then I decided to use the front towers to listen to my CD's from my SQ car audio days.

I can only describe the experience as looking at a hole in the soundstage. I understand my HT room isn't finished yet and I most likely have reflection issues in that room.

Every time I sit down to listen to music, I find myself playing with the settings or moving the speakers to somehow fix the sound. I found the correct angle for the Klipsch towers (I think) since I can now see the image in front of me as it should be. The problem is all voices and instruments sound like they're on top of each other. There's no width to the stage. The tweeters of course are super bright and the low end seems like a Bose nightmare with frequecy cancellation.

I was in a huge rush to get my hands on something THAT DAY. The crew at Worst Buy had the speakers hooked up out of phase when I demo'd them. I must have been listening to them for an hour like that before finally asking the tech if I could switch the phase. I was so happy that I noticed it and they sounded so much better after I fixed the problem, I bought them.

Klipsch Icon VF-36 with matching center and surrounds with a Synergy 12 that sounds like mud.

The Worst Buy I purchased from didn't have the Magnolia section so yesterday I went to another Worst Buy to audition some Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands... WOW! The sound stage is so deep. The warmth compared to the Klipsch is outstanding.

I'm sure everyone knows what a quality speaker sounds like so I don't have to describe it in detail. My current thoughts are to return the entire Klipsch nightmare, which ran me about 1800 total and go with another brand.

I love the Vienna's but another 1200 on top of my refund only gets me two towers. 3k is not an issue for sound quality but I was also looking at the SVS towers that seem to be a big hit here. I wonder if anyone has compared SVS and Vienna. I looked at the SVS systems and for 2600, I can get just about all I have now but I'll have to hold off on the sub. That's fine for now.

I opened up the can of worms and now I'd prefer to have quality sound over the boom for movies, the sub can wait.

Since SVS will allow in home trial, I will most likely give them a try.

I've read a lot about personel opinions here and we all have different tastes but anyone should be able to tell me if the SVS has that deep, wide soundstage I'm looking for.

I just need a little push to get those Klipsch Icons back to Worst Buy.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
You really seem to have a problem with Best Buy.

I have heard a lot of Klipsch which sound excellent, although I'm not a fan of horn tweeters.

Are you listening to music in 2 channel stereo as it was intended to be heard, or are you trying to listen in 5.1 or 7.1?

jmmdm2

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Yes

Using them in 2 ch direct with and without a sub at times

I would never attempt to judge stage in surround mode with a stereo recording.

My klipsch icons are fairly entry level speakers while the viennas are much more refined.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks