What's new

A Fresh New Look for HomeTheaterForum.com (2 Viewers)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll just add that we have no interest in changing anything simply for change sake. Our goal with any changes is the sustainability of the website. We do greatly value input and want to see HTF thriving for decades to come.
Yeah. Ordinary people don't necessarily understand that software has to be updated. And some things have to change in order to keep sites functioning optimally.

There has been a trend of "greying" of visuals (in general, not just here) that I don't care for. The admin of software I use went through a general lowering of contrast that I find silly. It makes it more difficult to use, and increases eye strain. I think this trend has been slowing, though.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have to wonder how relevant forums like this are in an environment where the attention spans of younger people have been conditioned to the point that anything over two minutes long has become a chore to focus on. I mean, how else can you explain tons of people on tiktok willing to watch a movie cut into 200 two minute long parts?

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Yeah. Ordinary people don't necessarily understand that software has to be updated. And some things have to change in order to keep sites functioning optimally.

There has been a trend of "greying" of visuals (in general, not just here) that I don't care for. The admin of software I use went through a general lowering of contrast that I find silly. It makes it more difficult to use, and increases eye strain. I think this trend has been slowing, though.
The overflow by two or three characters on the right hand margin on reviews seems to have been corrected for the most part, but reading white lettering on a blue background (especially in a brightly lit environment) still is a strain on the eyes as opposed to black on white. Adding a toggle to choose between light and dark background may not be possible with the software used, but this is an issue at least to my aging eyes using reading glasses.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I thought it had been fixed, but reading the Land of the Pharoahs review, the right margin characters run off the end of the page by a couple of letters on some of the lines. I refreshed it and it was better, not sure if it’s just a problem on phone access or what.

Colin

Owner
Real Name
Colin
I thought it had been fixed, but reading the Land of the Pharoahs review, the right margin characters run off the end of the page by a couple of letters on some of the lines. I refreshed it and it was better, not sure if it’s just a problem on phone access or what.
Fixed!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I believe Ron Epstein had asked years ago that we go through the home page as that was important to show actual "visitors" to the site, and setting advertising rates and such, which helped maintain the forum. Not sure if that's changed or not important anymore?

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I believe Ron Epstein had asked years ago that we go through the home page as that was important to show actual "visitors" to the site, and setting advertising rates and such, which helped maintain the forum. Not sure if that's changed or not important anymore?
If that is indeed the case, then it’s not much trouble to start there and just go to the forum section afterward. Though that wouldn’t have occurred to us consumers unfamiliar how the system is geared to record visits.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's def the case.

I, too, would like to know if that's still a desired "thing" for the ownership because it will help me figure out if I can return to heading directly into the forums when I log on. If it matters, however, I will be more than happy to keep coming to the splash page and then migrating inward (even though it takes me at least two clicks now to get to my haven of "Watched Threads").

Jonathan

Owner
Real Name
Jonathan
That's def the case.

I, too, would like to know if that's still a desired "thing" for the ownership because it will help me figure out if I can return to heading directly into the forums when I log on. If it matters, however, I will be more than happy to keep coming to the splash page and then migrating inward (even though it takes me at least two clicks now to get to my haven of "Watched Threads").
I appreciate the willingness @Mike Frezon and @uncledougie, however, I don't think this makes much of a difference at this point in time. And I don't want you to have to jump through any unnecessary hoops to get to the parts of the forum you frequent.

midvalleyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I much prefer the original look. Some of the reviews (see attached image) are almost impossible to read on my MacBookPro (on the left) - small white font on dark blue background. I now have to read these reviews on my Samsung Galaxy phone (on the right).
comparison.png

Jonathan

Owner
Real Name
Jonathan
Thanks for calling out the readability. We're not ignoring you; we're actively working on fixes. The questionable ads? Not acceptable. We're addressing it.

Ads were minimized while we were in a provider transition and have only recently been re-added to the site. The end goal? Fewer, more relevant ads. Not more clutter.

We're all in for the long-haul sustainability of HTF, but resources are limited. Change won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

Jonathan

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I have to say, I do not like the newer dark blue home page. I think it looks very unattractive and out of place with the site. I try to avoid it actually. My opinion, for what it's worth, is to redesign it to make it easier on the eyes. I actually preferred the older one. The smaller white fonts in the upper right hand corner of it on the drop downs I feel the same about.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have no problem with the main page. It reads just fine for me, and I honestly don't object to it.

With that in mind, I do have monitors that are better than the average, though not anything outrageous. They are also calibrated with a Spyder, since I use them for photography.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks