What's new

SVS B4 Plus Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Simon Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Ok now I have some questions I'd like to ask to you Tommy.I'm a bit confused as to what controls the Bass crossover frequency. If you just buy the B4+ with Crown k1 amp how do you set the crossover? I own the Rotel 1098 pre-amp and that has a sub setup for the crossover but I'm told thats not the way to go about it. Do I need to get the Marchand SVS interface to set the crossover? Also just how deep does this sub go compared to what you have owned or heard before. My test dvd is Lord of the rings fellowship chapter with the Balrog. Have you tried that scene yet and whats it like.Hope you can help me with these questions. Thanks mate

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
If you just buy the B4+ with Crown k1 amp how do you set the crossover?
The crossover will be set by the pre-amp(Rotel 1098). It probably has several to choose from...80HZ being the most common. I think what you are driving at is the "subsonic filter" which is built into most "self powered" subs. Since the B-4+ is passive you need a way to control the frequencies that are below the "tuning point" that you have choosen through "port blocking." When bass that's significantly below these points hits the sub, it can overload the drivers (however, unlikely with the B4). The SVS Amp Interface by Marchand Electronics will do just that at a reasonable cost. It offers a three position subsonic filter with optimal 24db per octave roll-offs (15Hz, 20Hz and 25Hz subsonic points, optimized for all SVS's).

One other thing....have you considered the K2 amp. As long as your going for broke...the K2 is the optimal power plant for that beast!

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Definitely use the Rotel 1098 for bass management.

It will do all the BM in the digital domain and set the high/low pass filter frequency and slopes and send the Crown/SVS an already filtered signal.

The SVS01 Marchand Bass Box will give you the ability to adjust the phase and also subsonic filtering capability. These are both nice features, but not essential to getting the sub up and running. The Rotel and the Crown is all you need initially.

For HT, I recommend an 80 Hz crossover at the Rotel. The standard bass management filter rates are 12 dB/octave for the high pass and 24 dB/octave for the low pass. The Rotel might even be able to alter the high pass filter rate to better match the type of mains you are running. I know the B&K products can do this.......not sure about the Rotel.

Regards,

Ed

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys for answering that...at work and just checked in...Yes, I use the mc-8 for all the crossover work...As far as LOTR scenes...I posted it before, but I can tell you that at 3-4 hot (all speakers set to 75) I hit about 10-12 under ref and my house feels like something is going to give:) It truely is an amazing piece...one I won't be upgrading for a long long time:) I'll answer more when I return home! tom:)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Tommy:

The link to your pictures isn't working. You may want to change the link that you have listed in your profile.

Simon:

You have to post some pictures of your beast when you get it.

Parker

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Parker, remove the first of two http in his link. It works fine after that.

Last edited by a moderator:

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I am redoing this page..sorry about that...I am having isp problems..grr..it doesn't show any of my equipment etc...but basically, it does show the B4+:) be back in a few...working on fixing this once and for all:) tom

Simon Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you everyone that helps alot. I was sure that I would use the rotel 1098 for the crossover settings but I wasn't sure about the Marchant interface. As to buying the K2 I can't afford it I believe the K1 will be more than enough.I wont hesitate in posting pictures of the sub when it arrives just told Tom form SVS the color but they want to send me a sample stain before they go ahead. I chose a simple mat black finsh as all my other speakers are that color.Thanks again for the help guys.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Awesome, Simon!

The Crown K1 at 1500 watts bridged is perfect for the B4-Plus. Yes, a bit more clean output (maybe 2 dB) can be coaxed out of the B4 with a bridged K2, but you are fast approaching the point of diminishing returns with anything much over 1500 watts continuous.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Tommy:

I fixed the link you used in your profile to your site. You had an extra http://[/url] in there. All is cool now.

Parker

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Thanks Parker! I just took about 10 pics off there because they are outdated...look for my new pics coming as soon as my ISP fixes this mess I'm in (severe packet loss!) Thanks again! tom

Simon Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Tom I think I've looked at your pics more times than I can remember. It simply is an amazing sub and thats just the cosmetics side of things,I haven't even heard it yet:) . Well I've spoken to Tom and Erik at SVS and they have given me a final quote and they will be sending me a sample color stain for me to check which should take about 3 days to arrive. Once thats done it's just a matter of waiting. :frowning: .But I'm sure it will be worth it when it arrives.Looking forward to your new pics.Send them via Wonka Vision so I can have the sub earlier:laugh:

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'm amazed no one even mentioned this but why not check and see if there are any respectable pro-amps from your own land as this may save you a small fortune in currency exchange, shipping, duties, etc...

Just a suggestion...

Simon Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Robert. I've thought about that but the K1 is proven to be a great performer for the B4+ and SVS offers an excellent price for it so it seems the right way to go. I'm on 2 weeks holiday atm and I don't have a sub:frowning: . Just have to wait for this color sample to turn up in the mail then they can go ahead and stain the beast and send it to me. Terence why did you have to post those pictures now it makes me want it more. What a amazing finish those guys know how to make a beautiful Sub.

terence

Supporting Actor
Hey Simmon, at least you can afford to buy one! It's just a pipe dream for me but with out a dream what would we have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks