SVS 16-46CS+ Calibration Question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Shawn C, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

So I've got the HT set up in my new house and I am running through the test tones on my Denon receiver. Anyways, I get everything setup at a nice 80db except for my 16-46CS+.

I can't get the meter to settle down. Even on C weighting and slow response, the needle swings from 78 to 82db. That is around a +4.5db gain setting on the receiver.

I am using an Outlaw M200 monoblock to power the sub. Is this just a room problem I am having or is it normal?

2. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

So does mine (SVS) I use the averaged of the maximum & minimum...so yourself I would choose 80dB (that's if you want to keep it +3dB hot to your other speakers), as the SPL meter is off by 3dB for the test tone at the lower frequencies.

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The behavior of the meter is normal. The rumble tone fluctutates in amplitude (unlike a sine wave which is steady), so the meter needle will fluctuate too.

Switch the meter to the next highest SPL setting, and it will respond even slower.

For example, on the 80 dB setting, 85 dB is the +5 mark on the scale. On the 90 dB setting, 85 dB is the -5 mark on the scale. You will notice the meter is much slower to respond in the region of the scale that is below 0, thus making it easier to get an "average" reading.

4. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Cool. Thanks alot guys.