Suggestions for a 2nd Zone Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChuckE, Aug 7, 2003.

1. ChuckE

ChuckE Extra

I need to purchase an amp for my second zone. I will be running 1-2 pairs of speakers in the house and 3 pairs outside. Will probably need 10+ channels. I have Sonance in-walls and Sonance Mariners outside. I would appreciate any input.
    Thanks.
    Chuck

2. ChuckE

ChuckE Extra

Come on people. How about some suggestions? I have 5.1 set up in my family room with some Vandersteen speakers all around. I need an amp for my second zone. Someone suggested getting a 2 channel amp and a speaker selector box versus getting say an 8 - 12 channel amp with only 40 or so watts per channel. If I get a stereo amp with say 200+ watts per channel, I understand that it will need to be able to take a 4 ohm load. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Chuck

3. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

How about the Harman Kardon PA 4000? If I'm not mistaken, I think you can power up to 4 pairs of speakers at 45 watts per channel, or 1 pair at 100 watts PLUS 2 pairs at 45 watts, or simply 2 pair at 100 watts per channel. Plus, you can use 2 different sources simultaneously on it
    There's also an older Adcom amp, I think 2535 was the model #, that could power up to 2 pairs at 60 watts per channel.