What's new
World Wide Stereo

1.1 or 3.1 with multi-room/zone capability? (1 Viewer)

dpvwia

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I'm looking for a multi-room/zone amplifier to send 2 channel audio to 2-3 zones, while upgrading to a surround system (and HD video) in my TV room. The TV room is small, 11'x11', and we're not big videophiles. My wife is an architect, so system appearance is important - there's no way we want 5 or 7 speakers in the room. I was hoping to go with a virtual surround system with 1-3 speakers plus a sub. But none of the systems I've found seem to have multi-zone capability. I can put a 2nd amp in the basement (as well as a speaker switch if necessary) just below the room, so even line level output is OK. 2nd option is a normal multizone A/V amplifier with some sort of speaker system that takes all 5/7-input - sounds silly, but I'm surprised it doesn't exist.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Dave

728x90

pat00139

Agent
Real Name
Pat Pilon
First: you'll never find an HTiB with a player with multi-room capability, and there are no virtual sound systems with multi-room. Some systems, like some Onkyo HTiBs come with a receiver only and speakers. However, the speakers are sometimes pretty good, they're usually pretty boxy and not what you're looking for.

What I recommend is buying a recevier with multi-zones. Now, most of these will have the main room (5-7.1) and two other zones (2 speakers each); however, only zone 2 is powered, while zone 3 needs an external amplfier. That's the case with my Onkyo TX-SR805, but others have different settings. Finding a 3-zone receiver that has 3-zone amplification is going to be a little hard, but like you said, you're thinking of getting a 2-channel amp, so that's not much of a problem. So, I recommend getting a receiver and seperate stereo amplifier. That should give you the 3 zones you want with the required amplification. Something like the Onkyo 805 or the Denon 3808 would be basic choices that would allow you 7.1 plus 2 other zones. High models like the Onkyo 905, Denond 4308 would give you a bit more, as well.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

As for speakers, you don't need to compromise. Definitive Speakers makes their Pro Cinema series speakers, and they're very small - about the size of a pop can, and have terrific sound quality. You can buy them seperately or as a 5.1 set, so it's very easy to build on the system you already have. They hide away very easily, so a 7.1 system is easy to manage. DefTech also has their Mythos line of speakers, which can be wall-mounted around your TV, and look very sleek.

Another choice is the Mirage Nanosats 5.1 sets. They're also very small and are usually rated very highly in home theatre magazines. I've never had any personal experiences with Mirage, but I've always heard really good things.

There you go. Hope it helps.

dpvwia

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
OK, that's about where I thought we'd end up. We already have a nice 2 channel amp that we can use in conjuction with a new surround sound receiver - and I was already leaning towards the Onkyo 805 (plus, my wife likes how it looks in silver!). I'll check out the speaker systems you mentioned.

Thanks a lot,

Dave

pat00139

Agent
Real Name
Pat Pilon
To add a bit of information, I heard a little while ago that Klipsch bought out Mirage, and so it might be a bit tricky for some stores to order the nanosat sets if they don't already have it in stock. The DefTech sets would be easier to find, for sure.

As for the Onkyo, the 805 looks really nice. I prefer it to the 605 and 705 becuase of the front panel that hides all the buttons. It just looks much sleeker.

If your wife like the way it would look in silver, you might also want to check out the Harman Kardon AVR354. It looks really sexy and should be more or less in the same price range as the 805. It also sounds really nice and you'd probably also be very satisfied with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks