What's new

New Home Theater Setup... (1 Viewer)

Bosalus

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Hellos,

I just ordered a Samsung 55" LCD HDTV LN55B640 from Best Buy because my old Advent 36" HDTV finally gave out. Also picking up PS3 for games and Blu-Ray Discs. Will be connecting my HD Cable box via HDMI and my Wii via Component A/V. Probably will also hook up my current Sony DVD player to keep little kiddos off the PS3 and have it last longer.

I'm almost set on the receiver which will probably be a Pioneer 840w 7.1 VSX-1019AH-K (504.98). I like it for the 4 HDMI's and the Analog Video Upconvert and the list of decoding. Don't really care about the iPod connection, Sirius satellite options, or the multi zone/room features at the moment, but they might be useful down the road so not worried about those being wasted completely.

My old Pioneer receiver has been great for me for what I needed for over 5 years now but it lacks the HDMI. It was a HTIB with 5.1 so going with individual components now is a step up for me this way and I'd also like to get something that better compliments the TV thats coming.

My usage for my system is equally split between movies/tv/games/music.

What I'm having a hard time deciding on are the speakers for the new receiver.

I guess I'm stuck between 3 packages/bundles. Wondering if any of these 3 will be problematic for compatability and/or sound quality. I do understand that I get what I pay for, but I can't go all out and grab the high end stuff - I'm not at that point right now.

1st Speaker Group:
- Sony 10" 100w Powered Subwoofer SAW2500 (99.99)
- Sony 8" 3-Way Floorstanding Speaker Pair SSF5000 (159.98)
- Sony Dual 5-1/4" 2-Way Center Channel Speaker SSCN5000 (99.99)
- Sony 5-1/4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair SSB1000 (51.98 x2)
(I know these are basic entry level speakers for individual parts and some might scoff at them, but it's a place to start heh. The wattages also match up pretty close to the receiver output.)

2nd Speaker Group:
- Polk 10" 200w Powered Subwoofer PSW110 (249.99)
- Polk Dual 5-1/4" 2-Way Floor Speaker TSI300 (204.99 x2)
- Polk 5-1/4" Center Channel Speaker CS10 (179.99)
- Polk 5-1/4" Bookshelf Speaker Pair TSI100 (203.98 x2)
(The 100w sub didn't get good reviews so I'd probably grab the next one up. Worried that the front 3 speakers are not matched properly and that the wattages don't match up to the receiver @ 120w x7, the bookshelf's @ 100w, the center @ 125w, the floor's @ 150w, & the sub @ 200w)

3rd Speaker Group:
- Speaker Company TST1 5.1 Home Theater Package - 2x TST1 Floor, 2x TSB Bookshelf, TC2 Center, & T250 Sub (789.89)
- Speaker Company TSB Bookshelf Pair (129.97)
(A little hesitant about this group because I'm not familiar with the brand and don't see some kind of guarantee/warranty/protection plan like at Best Buy. The pricing is very nice, but I'm not able to get a feel for the speakers. They also have this bi-amp connection on the back that I'm not familiar with. And there are some differences in the wattages with them as well. The floor speakers also throw to the side so I'm wondering how they will work between the TV stand and the audio piers).

Well, anyways, any comments, suggestions, advice, etc. are really appreciated while I try to winnow down to a final choice/selection.

Thanks,
Scott

*edit* sorry - meant to post this under speakers section.
Edited by Bosalus - 8/5/2009 at 06:52 am GMT

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
That's kind of big spread in price with the Sonys in there ...

- wattage is irrelevant. That's a "max power" spec, how much the drivers can handle, but you'll reach a point where your ears won't be able to handle it way before that.

- if you are going to crossover at 80 hz or the like, there's not really an advantage in going floorstanding mains, especially with a receiver like the Pioneer with a global setting (some receivers can cross the mains lower). You are cutting off their low range output, it'd be better IMO to just get bookshelves for those as well, plus stands, and invest the money saved into a beefier subwoofer instead. (eD, SVS, Hsu are popular).

- depending on how you are going to mount your set, what sort of options underneath you have, it might be best to just go identical bookshelves all the way around, including center, vertical bookshelf under the set.

-tsc has free shipping both ways and a 30 day trial, so there's not much risk in trying them IMO. You could do something like order a pair, get a pair of the Polks, listen to some music/movies in stereo, make a decision, return one and complete the set.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Welcome to the forum Scott.

I moved it to your intended section. (Hope you will find it! )

Cees

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Scott,

I'll add this package since it is close to the same price as your option 3:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

Also, I'm not familiar with the Pioneer receivers, but if it is as Stephen says, a global crossover, I suggest you look at a Denon or Onkyo in the same price range. For $500 you can get the Onkyo 576 or maybe the 607.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
I'll second Stephen on the skipping the floor standers and getting the bookshelves and a better sub. So if the budget is $800 or less, I'd add to your list the following to check out:

Energy speakers form Audioavisor.com $325 for 2 pair c100 bookshelves and cc50 center3 Pair Model 6 from CSW currently $300
5 alpha c1's for $500 from Saturdayaudio.com

or any number of other 5.0 speaker sets for $500 or less. Then add a sub for $300-$450. SVS, HSU, Elemental Designs all good internet direct subs. Avoid big electronics companies' subs in general (Sony, Yamaha, etc.) If you've got to go budget, check Dayton subs at partexpress.com.

One last option is to wait on the sub until you can afford the one you really want/need which ups your speaker budget for the other 5 significantly. For example for $750 you can get 2 pair of the PSB image B15's and matching center and for another $50 you can make the front pair the larger B25's (from saturdayaudio again). I do think these are a superior speaker to what you are going to get if you include a sub in your budget. Anyway you slice it, you will be making compromises but this is true at almost any budget...

good luck

Bosalus

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Hellos again,

Thank you for the advice and suggestions.

As for the room layout/speaker location; it's an apartment living room (first floor) that is 12' wide from face of sofa wall to face of tv wall, approximately 16' long and 9' high ceiling. The side speakers wil be on a 30"h side tables at either end of the sofa, the rear speakers will on a shelf above the sofa back about 48" above the floor, the fronts I'd like to keep out of the piers/bookcases and on stands next to the piers or in between the piers and tv stand, the center will be on a shelf about 48" off the floor as well (the tv is roughly 33"h on a 15"h low tv stand), and the sub will be off to the left end of the sofa in the corner. Not much I can do about the center speaker location except put it on the shelf right above the TV at about 48" above the floor because the TV stand is so low.

After looking over the suggestions I think I'm leaning towards the following:

Receiver

Denon - AVR-789 (7.1 x 90watts + 3 HDMI) (489.90 @ pcrush.com)
- or -
Denon - AVR-889 (7.1 x 100watts + 4 HDMI) (539.00 @ 1stopcamera.com)
(These have better rating for analog video upscaling over the Onkyo for my Wii which was mentioned as one of the few sources to utilize it in a few reviews on cnet.com. Would I notice the small difference in wattage?)

Speakers

Speaker Company - TSBLT-HT 5.1 Bookshelf HT Speaker Package (2x TSBL 6.5" Front Bookshelfs, TC2 Center, 2x TSB 5.25" Surround Bookshelfs, T250 Subwoofer) (569.91)
- plus -
Speaker Company - 2x TSB 5.25" Surround Bookshelfs (129.97)

- or -

Speaker Company - TSBT3-HT 5.1 Bookshelf HT Speaker Package (4x TSB 5.25" Front/Surround Bookshelfs, TC2 Center, T300 Subwoofer) (599.88)
- plus -
Speaker Company - 2x TSB 5.25" Surround Bookshelfs (129.97)

(The first combo has a little nicer front speakers with a smaller sub, while the second combo has same front and surrounds with a bigger subwoofer. Thinking that the 250w sub would be a little more practical for an apartment but not really sure. The backs of the speakers look like they use dual-banana plugs to connect the wires and the back of the receivers so that will be a bit more convenient. Curious though how the subwoofer connects to the receiver as I can't see the jack labeled for it - just a single RCA type wire/plug? Need to pick up a longer one to run the sub to the opposite corner of room.)

Would these combinations be compatible/appropriate for either Denon Receiver I listed? Also wondering what kind of stand to use for the front speakers as I don't want to stow them away inside the piers on a shelf and have the sides of the piers affect the sound.

Anyways, I really appreciate the input, advice, suggestions, etc. to help me finish off my new system.

Thanks,Scott

*edit* just saw the newer Denon Receiver models and will probably get either one of these now:

Denon - AVR-790 630w 7.1 Channel 4x HDMI (499.99 @ bestbuy.com)
- or -
Denon - AVR-890 735w 7.1 Channel 5x HDMI (799.99 @ bestbuy.com)

(I don't really need the 5th HDMI, but the extra wattage is nice but maybe too much for an apartment?)

Edited by Bosalus - 8/6/2009 at 08:27 am GMT

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Don't choose a receiver just based on the few extra watts. You won't notice the difference until you nearly double the wattage. Even then, we only talking about a few decibels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks