Kevin Ray
I am an RPG nut but I haven't really gotten a lot of PS2 RPG's aside from:
Wizardry
Kings Field
Final Fantasy X
Heroes of Might & Magic: Dragonbone Staff
Eternal Ring
Shin Magami Tensei: Nocturne

I was hoping for some other RPG suggestions for the PS2...I know..I know, "get an X-Box", I don't really see many on the X-Box that I like enough to warrant a purchase BUT Morrowind has caught my eye.

I have to admit that I am not into the whole cutesy anime thing but any suggestions for your favorites or "must have's" would be appreciated.

James T

Screenwriter
Indigo Prophecy is a great RPG. It's the first game in a long time where I've actually cared about the chioces I made because of the impact it had on different characters.

I forgot to mention that I never played the games you've listed, but Indigo Prophecy is not your stats type RPG. It's more like a branched out adventure, sorta like those old school books you used to read when you we young.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
If you like strategy RPGs (think Final Fantasy Tactics), I can highly recommend the Nippon Ichi series of RPGs for the PS2. You could easily spent 70+ hours on each of these things. They have "dated" graphics but some people are charmed by the sprite-based, isometric-view gameplay. It's old-school -- these are hardcore stat-RPGs for the fanatic, not entry-level action RPGs. Definitely for people who like levelling up characters and seeing fun, mature, irreverent storylines with great characters.

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (the best and funniest, unfortunately also the most difficult to find)
Makai Kingdom (the most recent, the best graphics)
Phantom Brave (technically the earliest, and certainly not the best, but cheaper, and with a more serious storyline)

There is also a Nippon Ichi game for the PSX called La Pucelle, but I haven't seen it around in a while. If good graphics are your thing, you might be disappointed at how little the graphics have actually changed since the old days.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Thanks for the responses guys.....just two though...I guess RPG doesn't have as large a following as I assumed it did.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

RPGs do have avid followings; they may not be on this forum though. Seeing as there are many genres and subcategories of RPGs, offering suggestions can be tough. Speaking for myself, I find action RPGs (such as Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance) engaging, but turn-based ones protracted and tedious (some, not all).

I'm not sure what you're looking for in an RPG, but RPGs are one of the gaming genres that shine on the PS2. Steve has offered some solid recommendations; here are some of mine (* denotes title in my library):

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance *
Champions Of Norrath: Realms Of EverQuest *
Culdcept (board game with RPG elements)
Dark Cloud 2
La Pucelle: Tactics
Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time
Suikoden III *
The Bard's Tale *
Wild ARMs 3 *
Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht *
X-Men Legends *

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.