What's new

Best RPG's for PS2/PS1? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Looking for some good entertaining RPG's for my new PS2. I know it can play PS1 games too so I'm keeping my eyes open for some good games. I'll eventually get the FF series but was wondering what other games are great. How's Dragon Warrior 7, Chrono Cross, etc.? Other suggestions?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Chrono Cross is one of the BEST RPGs for PSX. Definitely get it.

Also, get Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete. They're both VERY good RPGs.

Vagrant Story is sort of an RPG-ish game (has experience points, hit points, etc. but isn't played in traditional RPG style) and is also really good.

Brave Fencer Musashi is more of an action/adventure/platformer/RPG but is still pretty fun.

Damien

Supporting Actor
of course get ffx, baulders gate 2 may be fun
any vandal hearts game will be good.
ff chronicles/anthology
suikodens, and breath of fires
Xenogears and Front Mission 3 are my two favorites

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
(all PS1)
Legend of Dragoon
Xenogears
Both Lunars
Final Fantasy 4 through 9 are available on PS1
Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross
Valkyrie Profile

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
You really can't go wrong with any of Squares RPGS, I own all of em and love them all!
Xenogears is a true gem of a game, but doesn't suit everyone. Also this can be harder to find. Square published a bunch more copies a few years ago so hopefully you can still find it.
Final Fantasy Tactics is a very addictive game, if you like it check out the Ogre Battle series, again a very rare game but also excellent.
Bauldur's Gate for PS2 is fun, but not much of an RPG (you can play a sorc wearing full plate... VERY note D&D rules), if you like hack and slash its fun, and even more fun if you play it with someone else.
Vagrant Story is one of the few PS1 games that will actually truly benefit from the enhancement mode of your PS2, and it's replay value is immense.
Valkyrie Profile has the advantage of different difficulty which can and does affect the actually game.
To get the most enjoyment out of Crono Cross you should play Crono Trigger 1st, you don't have to to understand the game but some characters / themes have carried over. Crono Trigger is my all time favorite game from the SNES era.
Of everything definitely get all the Final Fantasy games, they are all very polished games that will keep you busy for many many hours which will turn into days. :) I would suggest starting as far back in the series as you can go, and then beat them in order. This will give you a sense of the development of the series in general. And it's fun to see reoccurring themes in the characters.
Hopefully this info is helpful, have fun with your PS2!
Brian

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Is chrono trigger available on PS1? The SNES CT is kind of expensive on ebay anyway. I have a SNES though so I can pick it up in I need to.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I have both the SNES version of CT and the PS1 version.
The PS1 has much more features and just cool stuff. The ONLY advantage the SNES cart has is the instant load times, no waiting for the battles :)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to dissent a little from the popular opinion here, but some thoughts on some of the big crop of Ps1 RPGs

Xenogears-This game had some potietial, but it's hidden behind a shallow and boring combat system. The story looked interesting, but the fights were just boring.

Chrono Cross-Again, there's potietial, but there are just too many characters. I'd much rather see 5 well developed characters than 50 that are just there for volume.

FF Tactics-One of the best out there. More of a strategy game than an RPG, this one is all about the combat. Good story to go along with it, but if I remember correctly you have to keep up with it, since there's a lot happening, and lots of characters.

FF 7-9-Are all good in their own respects.

But my strongest recommendation at this point has to be:

Dragon Warrior VII-This game is simply awesome. I'm 80 hours into it, and just started the second disc. I have no idea how and where this thing will end and I'm loving it.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Xenogears-This game had some potietial, but it's hidden behind a shallow and boring combat system
The combat system may not be as deep as some, some people hate it some don't mind it. It really grew on me when I got later into the game. There is a point in the game that makes the combat so much more fun, but I don't want to spoil it :)
Brian

Nathan A

Second Unit
well, i'll just touch on some no one's said...

Alundra (the first one)- kinda like Zelda- addictive, challenging, and some of the puzzles will make you mad. it's an action RPG where the fighting is like zelda. i never had time to play all the way through it, but i never got stuck and it was a lot of fun when i could play.

Wild Arms- aside from suikoden, this was the first good PS1 RPG. the dungeons played kinda like zelda, but the fights and towns were pure RPG. i did beat this one (40-45 hours i think) and it was a blast.

Grandia- i only had time to get about 10 hours into it, but it was a lot of fun, too. it has a pretty unique battle system where your party members can...well, combo with each other (i think this is what Valkyrie Profile is kind of like, but i haven't even had time to play Valyrie P. yet so i'm not sure).

of all of them these are my favorites (in no order):

Final Fantasy Tactics
Vandal Hearts
Final Fantasy 8 (haven't had time to play 9 yet, i think 8's better than 7)
Wild Arms
and Beyond the Beyond (ha! kidding. this was one of the first PS1 rpg's and it's horrible. i mean horrible. if you can find it for $1.50 or less than it's worth picking up just to see how horrible it is)

As for the PS2, the only RPG i've bothered buying is Final Fantasy X. it's really good; highly recommended.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I forgot all about Wild Arms, there's even a sequal for it, but I never got to try that one. And Beyond the Beyond isn't THAT bad when you consider it's the first PS1 RPG... gives it some collectors value :)

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
If you've not played Grandia II on the DC, then you might want to play it on the PS2. I've heard the DC version is more polished - I endjoyed it alot. Not as good as Skies of Arcadia, but a good one.

Nathan A

Second Unit
i completely forgot about RPG Maker!

with this one you can make an RPG as good as you want it to....err, as good as you can make it be. but again, i haven't had time to fiddle around with it. but from what i've heard it gives you a lot of freedom to make virtually whatever you want in your RPG.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'd recommend holding out on RPG Maker since RPG Maker 2 is coming out (at some point) for PS2 in America.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks