Need Help! Xbox or PS2?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Franklin, May 26, 2002.

1. Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin Stunt Coordinator

I have played the Xbox and I have some PS1 games that I still like to play, that is why Im considering the PS2. Im not much of a hardcore gamer like I use to be, the only games I really like to play is rpg's and I know that the Xbox doesnt have many right now. With the recent price drop I wanted to get either or but I want to get the best for my money and just wanted to know what you guys think about the two systems before I went out and bought one. Thanks

2. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

If you really like to play RPGs and you have some PS1 games you still play you should definitely get the PS2. No question. Just take a look at the upcoming releases and you'll find that the PS2 is RPG heaven.

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Yeah, seriously get the PS2. Its got lots of great PSX RPGs and some future (or even current) PS2 ones.

4. Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info, I was also wondering about the difference in hardware like the PS2 doesnt have a harddrive but the Xbox does and things like that should that matter or just get the memory cards?

5. John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick Stunt Coordinator

PS2 all the way. You won't be disappointed. XBox still has to prove itself and judging from E3 it was the 3rd most popular system. Round out everything with a GameCube.

John

6. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

It isn't clear what you are looking for here.

Yes, if RPG's are the most important factor, then the PS2 is probably your best bet.

If you are looking for the best HARDWARE, no question the Xbox is it.

7. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

8. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

Not to digress, but is it true that you can rip your own b.g. music onto the XBox for certain games but that it won't read CDRs?
    This is pretty geeky, but that was pretty much the biggest draw for me. Not to put on so-called 'pirated' material, but to write my own songs about how my friends are knuckleheads (and will most likely lose to me), burn them and put them on during Project Gotham or something.
    Juvenile yes, but silly fun regardless. If it's for copyright issues then that sucks, since as usual it's the musicians who get screwed. I actually WANT to put my music on the damned thing and it looks like I cant. Does the unit have any composite inputs? I don't care about sound quality as much as the cool factor of needling my friends with Tenacious D style songs about how badly they play!
    Granted, I'm still going to buy one, but it won't give me the same level of maniacal glee. I guess I'll just have to enjoy the games or something... darn. [​IMG]

9. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

yep, you can burn music onto an CR-RW and download it to the x-box hard drive. I've yet to do it but I know it's possible. I never really understood why this was a big deal, if I want to listen to music while playing a game then why go thru the trouble of a download, I'll just go directly to the CD player and choose a track.

10. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Sam, you can copy music from cd to the HD and then select them to play in games that support this feature. The XBox won't read most cd-r's but it does read cd-rw's. It may vary from brand to brand though.

EDIT: Carl beat me to it. I have burned cdrw's and copied them to the HD.

11. Sam Hatch

Rock on!

Either way, as long as I can use a CD-RW as a source for music then I'm in music geek heaven! I'll just have to do some testing to find a brand that works.

Thanks Carl! edit: and James too!

12. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

13. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

15. Sam Hatch

Don't worry Morgan -- I already own a PS2! [​IMG]
    But you'll have to trust me on this one, for a guy who has well over 1,000 CDs and writes music as well, it certainly is THAT cool. I never had intentions of replacing the music in RPGs or first person shooters, but as Chris mentioned it lends itself perfectly to racing or Tony Hawk style games. I logged so many hours on ProSkater2 that my brain eventually started filtering out the songs because I had heard them too many times. The ability to change them up every now and then will be fun, not to mention using songs that I truly dig. The original songs are mainly there to add to the adrenaline rush of playing the game -- now I can sustain that rush!
    And that's just for prerecorded stuff that I have in my library. To be able to add anything that I personally create on a CD-RW is pretty much priceless. I do understand that from a gaming standpoint it's not that important, but it's one of those perks that I immediately knew I would have a ball with - for both serious and juvenile uses. Besides, it allows me to focus more on my gaming -- if I'm playing with friends I can record all of my trash-talking ahead of time and let the console do my dirty work for me. [​IMG]
    So actually it ends up that the games that DO use the feature so far are exactly the ones I was hoping would. Cool beans!
    As for the composite cable question, I was just throwing that out as an absolute last resort -- if the console wouldn't read CD's or CD-RWs I was hoping I could feed my music into it through a set of composite RCA jacks if it had such an input. But thanks to these helpful fellers I know that I can go the CD-RW route after all.
    Thanks again guys! And sorry to have hijacked the thread with the CD rip topic. I had been meaning to start a post about it for some time and figured I should ask before I forgot again.

16. Duane_T

Duane_T Stunt Coordinator

Check out some of the previews on the web for Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and Project Ego for XBox. Both look like they should be some good RPGs.

17. David Scott

David Scott Stunt Coordinator

I finally broke down and bought an x-box yesterday (couldn't resist the price). My roommate has a Ps2 so I figured I'd get an x-box and we'd be set. My early impression is...wow! We stayed up all night playing Halo, and from the look of games to come I have a feeling the Ps2 is going to take a exit from the living room and into his room. We both agreed we had more fun playing Halo than any shooter game yet to be released for the Ps2. If you have a good Home Theater system x-box is the way to go, although some Ps2 games sound pretty good too.