What's new

Genre question: RPG's? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
What gameplay characteristics classify a game as an RPG?

I understand about the non-video game RPG's like D&D, but I sort of thought all video games were at least quasi-RPG in nature, given that you are assuming a character and taking that character through multiple levels etc.

I'm new to next-gen console gaming (the last console I owned was a Sega Genesis)and the first next-generation PC game I've ever played was Max Payne, so that should tell you enough about my perspective: NEWBIE.;) I'm trying to get an idea of what else is out there and what I might be into besides 3rd person shooters.

Other questions about RPG's:

Do they contain Action/Combat?

Do they utilize Stealth/Strategy?

The reason I ask these questions is that so far, I really dig these aspects of current games like MGS2 and DMC etc.

What are some examples of the best RPG's for PS1/PS2 that include some of the above traits?

Thanks for helping a Console gaming newbie.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Usually, (I lurk at GameFAQs Message boards,) this kind of topic ends with a flame war/shouting match between fans of PC RPGs and Console RPGs with an occasional enjoyer of both popping in with a snide comment or two.

I guess I would say that there are two major types of RPGs as the term is commonly used:

PC RPGs - which offers the player endless or a high level of customization of their character/party, with large explorable world and sometimes a story.

Console RPGs - which offers the player a chance to play through as a fixed character in a fixed story. Usually, the production values and good storylines make this a fun, along with a new type of battle system for each game. The origin of this type of game was Dragonquest or Dragon Warrior on the NES, followed by Final Fantasy.

As you noted, Pencil and Paper RPGs of course are the granddaddy of most RPG systems, and are still very valid if you have people to play with.

Contrary to popular belief, there has been evolution in the Console RPG genre. Try the Playstation One's Vagrant Story for a more PC like feel to a game with a great story and a very very customizable weapon system. Or Star Ocean 2: Second Story where your actions result in multiple endings.

Since I seriously started gaming in the Playstation era, my little list will give you some good PSX or PSOne RPGs that offer very different experiences. Others here will give you RPGs for other platforms... I hope.

Playstation 1 RPGs
1. Final Fantasy 7 - Good Graphics, interesting story and very flexible battle system make this a wonderful game to start console RPGs.

2. Grandia - No random battles - all enemies are visible, and the wonderful simple story will captivate you. A port form teh Sega Saturn

3. Lunar: Silver Star Story - a classic that was on the Saturn. Features Good voice acting, anime fmvs, and a good simple battle system.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The main difference between console and PC RPGs is that console ones usually focus more on graphics, visuals (like FMVs), and storyline, while PC games focus more on open-endedness and gameplay.

Gary King

Second Unit
Do they utilize Stealth/Strategy?
Sometimes, although many can be beaten just by pressing the X button. Stealth is uncommon, since most console RPGs separate the enemies from the rest of the game world. In most, you randomly encounter enemies, and there is no way to change the probability based on how you play.

RPG-style games that I'd recommend are:

Vagrant Story (cinematic story and atmosphere, mostly real-time combat, lots of customization strategy). This gets my vote as the best Playstation game created -- it combines a lot of elements from different genres (RPG, action, stealth, platform, puzzle) very well.

Deus Ex (first person shooter/RPG hybrid). PS2 version is supposed to be adequate, although the PC version is much better... one of the finest games ever made. More emphasis on action and stealth than any other game in this list, and the game world will react to how you choose to play.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (turn-based console). It's got an off-beat battle system for console RPGs (more strategy involved than most), and the characters and story are pretty cool. It does have random battles, but the battles are a bit more interactive than what you get in most console RPGs.

Final Fantasy Tactics (console strategy RPG). This is easily the best game with the Final Fantasy title, and it's much heavier on the strategy elements than any other RPG on the PS1 (except for Tactics Ogre). It's turn-based, but the combat involves quite a bit more than the X button. My #2 Playstation game (and the only RPG where I have a saved game with the game clock maxed at 99:59).

Tactics Ogre (strategy RPG). Made by the same team that designed Final Fantasy Tactics for Square. The games are the same save for primarily cosmetic differences.

Legend of Mana (action RPG). Quirky non-linear gameplay encompassing an anthology (60+) of short stories about very quirky characters. Fighting is in real-time (more like an action game).

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (action + RPG elements). Primarily an action game, with a level progression system so that your character becomes more powerful as the game progresses. My #4 Playstation game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Something about combat in RPGs...

What a lot of people don't know is that console RPG combat is not "I hit you, you hit me" or turn-based, but is based on your stats, usually a speed stat. In Final Fantasy games, whoever has the fastest speed gets to attack first. Sometimes, your speed will be fast enough that you can attack twice or something. In Final Fantasy X, they made a graphic to show the order in which the people in the battle would attack, but the reasoning behind who could attack and when is the same as it has always been.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks