What's new

Beginner system upgrade / guidance request (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
My AVR the RX-A1030 seems to only have 1 universal crossover point, but i can set the FLR/C/SLR/RLR between Large and Small independently from each other.Thing is i'm not really seeing a logical options here other than have everything at Small and the crossover high enough for the 333's... because if I set the 777's to Large, I think the LFE channel will not have anything going on when I'm just listening to 2-channel music. Right?

There should be a "Plus" setting, or something similar, in the subwoofers setup menu. This will send the bass to the subwoofer as well as the fronts when the fronts are set to Large. This only works with a digital connection when listening in Pure Direct. With an analog connection in Pure Direct the subwoofer will be silent.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
I haven't tried Pure Direct yet - just left it on Straight for all the sources...

I don't need to listen in 2.0, but I'm not sure how to make this sound the best it can...

If 'extra bass' is enabled, wouldn't the front speaker's bass and the subwoofer's bass kind of fight each other?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Or compliment each other...depending on room acoustics and personal preference.

My subwoofers are placed behind my seating positions so it works O.K. for me.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
schan1269 said:
There is no wrong sound mode. Straight is what I meant, Onkyo calls it Direct...some call it straight.
Listening to music from my PC (over a sound card-generated Dolby Digital signal which allegedly is 5.1), if I leave all the YPAO automatic settings alone, IE all speakers set to Large, it seems that the front 3 speakers are always heavily used, the side surrounds are moderately used depending on the song, and the rear surrounds are used but a bit quiet comparatively.

I do not think the subwoofer gets anything like this, but I will double check tonight.

AVR shows 7.1 signal though so I'm not 100% sure what the sound card is creating or how it is processing a 2.0 stream into more channels so maybe that is where I should look next?

My goal right now would be to let the 777's have a more or less full-range signal (or at least more mid-bass-inclusive than the rear surround 333's), 333's to have the de facto 80Hz crossover point, and the subwoofer always having something to do but I'm not entirely sure it's possible with my RX-A1030.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If the front main are "large", the sub won't get anything unless...

There is .1 content
Or "LFE + Main" is chosen

And creating .1 without the main set small will be hit and miss on content w/o .1.

And, computer based music is notorious for lackluster bass...

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
I hope it's ok to dig my thread up but I have another question.

Finally ready to finish the right side wall of the room (by finish I mean take the old 1/2" drywall off, put some insulation in and 3/4" drywall up... possibly an insulated door also).

Would you guys agree that I should do the sub-crawl for final sub placement, and rerun YPAO after that wall is finished rather than before? I have some time today and was split on finding the best position for the sub VS getting the wall done or mostly done first. I'm just worried that the room acoustics may change enough from redoing the wall that any "configuration" I do beforehand would need to be redone anyway.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
schan1269 said:
I would sub crawl and run YPAO. YPAO is not a replacement for proper placement.
Thanks - yes I understand that part... I'm just wondering if redoing the entire right wall of my theater room might affect the acoustics enough to warrant waiting to find the final sub position and re-running YPAO until after the wall is finished?

Right now it has no insulation, 1/2" drywall and a former giant (12' x 5') window opening covered by 3/4" plywood. I am going to tear the drywall off, take that hideous plywood off, install some fiberglass insulation, and put new 3/4" drywall sheets up.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
schan1269 said:
I would wait till you are done, unless you just want to do it twice.

Are you hanging acoustic sheet rock?
Not sure where to get it - I have checked Lowe's and Home Depot here. They didn't seem to carry any... that's why I figured regular 3/4" would be the next best thing?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Lowe's sells QuietRock 500

The bigger Lowe's stock it.

1 layer of QuietRock 500 is equal(sound proof wise) to 8 layers of 1/2 standard drywall.

If you want even further...

QuietRock 545(555?) is THX certified for theater containment.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
schan1269 said:
Lowe's sells QuietRock 500

The bigger Lowe's stock it.
I'll check a few more locations and see - even at $50 a pop I only need 3 or 4 sheets so no biggie.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Yeah I am getting antsy to finish this for good... still need to remove 2 windows on the front wall and find a "through-wall" A/C unit to have installed above the heating unit that was already here.

Whoever built this addon onto the back of the original house structure went a little window crazy. The whole space is about 34' long and 12' wide... they had a pair of 3' x 4' windows on the 'front' wall, 4 of them on the outside wall, and a little 2-wide 10" x 10" glass block thing in the middle of the back wall.

I had the contractor use up about 10 feet in the back to build my bedroom, ditched that glass block thing, and 1 of the side wall windows but it's kind of a nightmare trying to deal with so many sources of unwanted light, noise, and heat/cool loss...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Aahhh...

Perils of home ownership.

I actually prefer SoundBreak XP. But, that is $108/sheet and must be purchased in complete stacks(stacks are just shy of 30 sheets).

But, when I gut the 2nd house this summer(needs insulation and there is only one 3-prong outlet in the entire house) it is getting SBXP throughout. Should take 2.5 stacks.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
schan1269 said:
Aahhh...

Perils of home ownership.

I actually prefer SoundBreak XP. But, that is $108/sheet and must be purchased in complete stacks(stacks are just shy of 30 sheets).

But, when I gut the 2nd house this summer(needs insulation and there is only one 3-prong outlet in the entire house) it is getting SBXP throughout. Should take 2.5 stacks.
Sam you inspired a thought I had last night while unable to fall asleep.

As mentioned, my room still has 4 large windows. Do you think it's possible to sort of 'frame in' the windows without removing them so that in the future they could be relatively easily accessed by cutting the drywall, removing the 2x4's from inside their frames and just refinishing the window sills?

I was thinking this might be a great solution because it will reduce the outside noise and sunlight I am fighting, but still allow the room to be reverted into an overheated death box if so desired in the future.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Sam! long story short... finally on the last leg of finishing this room (yes a year later - how time flies!) and it seems that I do actually have room for the rear surrounds to be 777 towers as well. Do you think I should swap the wall-mounted 333's for matching towers so all 7 speakers are the same?

I'm very happy with their overall sound, but due to unforeseen change of plans (I ended up taking a better paying job and going to school full time instead of dropping to part time work), I have a lot more money coming in than anticipated and am considering a few tweaks to the setup.

I have been debating a few theater related things, and I have another question I'll post a thread for since it's unrelated:
A) replace the rear NS-333 wall-mounted bookshelves with another pair of NS-777 towers (not sure this would really impact anything - but hey why not?)
B) replace the AVR with a 2015/2016 model with ATMOS support since i decided I don't care about s-video inputs anymore (just need at least 1 analogue component input w/ upconversion to HDMI)

B1) Of course the new AVR would mandate buying some in-ceiling speakers to make use of ATMOS - but I am not sure how best to match my setup.

C) pick up a 2nd HSU VTF-15H MK2 to ensure that my house falls down sooner or later

What do you think?

Hope all has been well and I'm glad to see the forum kicking along :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcleon
Recent bookmarks