1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Subwoofer & Cement Floors

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Domonic A, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Domonic Ableidinger
    What can I do to improve the bass responce in my basement home theater.

I just brought the sub down yesterday to check for rattles before I put up the drywall and it was kind of bla. I do not have the luxury of building a 3 or 6" sub floor. Would laying down 1/2" plywood of some sort help? I don't think that will do it but I am just looking for some thoughts.

Tahnk You,
    Domonic A.

2. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Domonic, in order to get the bass response I think you're going after, you'd have to "float" a subfloor over some sort of mat (rubber) material. Otherwise just putting 1/2" plywood on top of concrete, though giving you some added bass response, will not act like a floating floor in the same regard.

3. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Domonic Ableidinger
    Erik,

I assume you are talking about some of the 2' x 2' interlink mats used for work areas, and this would cover the entire cement floor? Then the sub would be suspended, never heard of that? The room is quite large, about 13 x 30 with seating at about 15'. I am planning on two subs in the front of the room. Mybe the one sub for now is not close to a true representation of what it will be like with 2 subs.

Thanks for your feedback.

Domonic A.

4. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Acoustimat or other manufacturers make mats for acoustical purposes, but essentially you want to "float" the floor so that it is decoupled from the concrete floor...essentially making it harder for sound to travel and disappear within the concrete (in very simple terms). LFE waves would then "ride" within the floated plywood floor, giving you the bass response you're going for.

I guess you could try those mats you spoke of, but you want something as thin as possible it sounds.

One other VERY important factor...since your walls are not drywalled, you WILL NOT experience bass in that room...since LFE is escaping and trying to fill your entire basement area, rather than your theater room proper.