theater floor - to vibrate / buttkick or not.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by darron Z, Jan 19, 2004.

1. darron Z

darron Z Stunt Coordinator

building theater in the garage, currently a cement floor. option A - to leave cement and carpet over thus creating no vibration transmission from subwoofer, or option B - to make a floating plywood deck , mounted on rubber blocks,and not screwed to walls (to prevent walls and house from shaking- isolate) and to install buttkickers to assist the subs low freq .
    i really dont know what it would be like to hear the boom and not feel it shake me. is it better theatrical experience?

2. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Darron, I designed and built my theater and did not "float the floor" but just put pad and carpet down on my concrete floor. My couch/seats shake VERY EXTREMELY well...but my two SVS subs might have something to do with that too! If you want more "shake" then definitely build a floating floor! [​IMG]

3. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

go with the floating floor. i boxed in an 8 foot section of floor joist and installed a philips 12" woofer in it. no air inlet to the room, just shakes the floor. and the couch. and anything else that happens to be on the floor. very neat sensation when you get a buzz from the floor or couch. gets the adrenaline going! do it!

ag.