DRIcore question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dan_J_H., Jan 6, 2005.

1. Dan_J_H.

Dan_J_H. Stunt Coordinator

Will the bass from the subwoofer cause the plastic cleats on the underside of the panels to vibrate against the cement floor? I already purchased 90 2x2 foot dricore panels and have not yet installed them. I plan to put carpet and padding down later. My room size is 12.5'X 24.0'X 7.5'. I would also like to hear comments (good or bad) from anyone who has Dricore in their HT. I still have time to return the panels if I want to.

Dan

2. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

I have not used Dricore in a HT environment. However, I am using it in my basement woodworking shop, so maybe I can provide some useful info. If you take the time to shim the panels correctly using the Dricore shims, you should not have any issues with the panels floating above the cement floor. Hence, there shouldn't be anything to vibrate. That being said, unless your cement floor is exceptionally flat, it will take a looooong time to get the panels shimmed properly. Even after all that, I still had a couple of spots where I could feel the floor bounce slightly when I walked. To fix that I simply drilled some tapcons into the floor at those points to hold it tight. Just put some silicone caulk on the tapcon to maintain the moisture barrier. Once you get all the furniture, equipment, etc piled on the floor I really don't think it'll be an issue. If you are really concerned you could put a tapcon in the middle of every couple of panels to hold things tight. Hopefully some others can chime in.

-Dave

3. Andrew Stoakley

Andrew Stoakley Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Stoakley
    Hi Dan,
    Nope.
    Rock solid.
    I love my Dri-Core floor for a number of reasons: 1) Floor temperature increase by 3 degrees Celsius. 2) Nice smooth bass response as opposed to dead thudding of concrete. 3) No dampness in basement anymore - nippling system allows moisture to evaporate, instead of soaking into underlay, carpet padding, etc.

Couple of things to consider when installing. Get yourself a table saw. Made things way easier to cut with perfect lines. Make sure you do allow the gap around the perimeter for expansion and finally buy lots and lots of the leveling squares!! Remember, you can always return them [​IMG]

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
    Andrew

4. Mike D.

Mike D. Stunt Coordinator

Not to thread hijack, but I have a dri-core question too!

I was thinking about leaving about a 1/2 inch gap between the dri-core floor and the walls. Reason? To reduce base vibrations to the walls. I am thinking I'll just anchor (is that what tapcon is??) some of the outer 2x2 panels to the floor.

Does this sound like a good idea? I REALLY need to keep the upstairs from rattling as much as possible, a constant complaint from my wife in our old house, and in this new house we just built, the most optimal place for the HT is right below the formal dining room (with china cabinetry, etc...)!

5. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

If you build the walls first then lay down the Dricore, they recommend you leave a 1/4" gap between the panels and walls. This is maintained by using shims every few feet. So going by the suggested install procedure, there is very little contact between the panels and the walls.

-Dave

6. Andrew Stoakley

Andrew Stoakley Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Stoakley
    Just remember to remove the shims after the floor is completely installed!! I forgot one and it was a total pain in the ass to remove it after the boards had expanded during the summer. Oh well [​IMG]

I know some people have used Tapcons to drill the panels to their floors, but at the Toronto Home Show last year I spoke to the Dri-Core folks and they strongly suggest to not drill through their panels to secure it to any structure. In their words it's a 'floating floor, meant to float - not semi-float' or something like that. Anyway, they told me not to secure it to anything.

Cheers,
    Andrew