subwoofer location - new HT set-up

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Tom_K, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Tom_K

Tom_K Auditioning

I am looking for some quick advice -- building a basement home theater with infinity alpha 40 towers, 1200 sub, 25e surrounds, 37c center, and alpha 10 rear in 6.1 setup and Yamaha avr-2400. The room is 14 by 22. the rear part of the room will be elevated on carpeted wood sub-floor, but the front will be carpet on cement floor. I hear that it is better to put the sub on a raised wood floor -- would there be a problem with the sub in the rear corner instead of the front corner?

2. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

I would try both. I think that how the room responds to the sub is much more important than what the sub is sitting on. General advice is to put the sub in the front of the room, but for me it created a huge peak at 60 and a huge dip at 40. It sounded terrible. I now have it in the back of the room within 3' of me and it sounds so much better. My frequency response is almost flat. I have my crossover set at 80Hz and can't localize the sub at all.

Greg

3. Tom_K

Tom_K Auditioning

Greg - thanks for the advice. I'll try it in both areas. I have seen on other forums that the best thing to do is sand-fill the area below the sub but keep it on a raised wood floor.

4. John Zfan

John Zfan Auditioning

Tom K -- how do you like the sub?