What's new

Submarine movies (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Chris, 'dittos' to a fellow bubblehead. I was on a boomer back in the early 80's. I really liked Crimson Tide, as well. Seemed realistic enough to me, especially the manning battle stations and setting conditions, etc. That is one moive that desparately needs an improved transfer, a Special Edition with Anamorphic Enhancement!
I think some Navy folks have a tendency to roll their eyes at the mutiny/chain of command "issues" that are central to the plot. That being said, I like it a lot and believe it to be Tony Scott's best film.

Regards,

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I bet some do, but I can see a realistic catch-22 in their situation. And it played out as LCDR Hunter thought it might. Everything about the truncated "termination" message seemed genuine, right up until the time the wire was cut by the screw. Yet you have the mandate that you don't deviate from an authentic order unless it's countermanded by another authentic order. But what if you were getting a countermand and that message doesn't make it through. I could see that a senior officer might not be willing to blindly go through with a launch. Just MHO.

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
Take a look at "Sharks And Little Fishes" from Belle & Blade. It's a 1957 German movie that follows 3 WWII German Naval Cadets and their service on a minesweeper and a U-Boat. Good action scenes and a good cast with some familiar faces. "Down Periscope" was filmed aboard the USS Pampanito currently docked in San Francisco. Another good service comedy, in the same league as "Operation Petticoat." "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea" is mindless sci-fi fun. Just watch for the phallic symbolism in the scene with Barbara Eden and the fire extinguisher.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
To ressurect this very cool thread, Amazon's listing Gray Lady Down for May 25 release - is this the same P&S disc or is this finally a good release?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Earlier reports are that this is at long last a widescreen release from Universal, which makes this my #1 eagerly awaited title for the next two months!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Sweet, if true. Going through this thread again, I was inspired and just placed an order for a trio of submarine films I've been putting off getting: Below, The Hunt for Red October, and U-571. Once we confirm Gray Lady Down is widescreen and anamorphic, I'll scoop that up as well. Sadly it seems some of the titles mentioned in this thread are available in non-anamorphic widescreen, like On the Beach or Run Silent, Run Deep. By the way, K-19 is another pretty good submarine film, I'm not sure if it was mentioned here. I saw it once in theaters; might pick up the disc soon.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Destination Tokyo, made in '42 or '43 and starring Cary Grant and John Garfield is due out on 6/1/04. This is probably not the most authentic sub movie ever made by any means but is an excellent example of the sort of high budget morale booster war film Hollwood produced during WWII. The cast is filled out with the usual top notch group of Warner Bros. character actors and has excellent production values. It's a must have for fans of classic war movies.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I'd still like to see Torpedo Run, starring Glenn Ford and Ernest Borgnine, released on DVD. It's not that realistic, I guess, but has a good WWII story involving the captain's dilemma over downing a notorious Japanese battleship that's using a POW ship as a shield.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
It's been a while, but as I recall, The Bedford Incident is a pretty good cold war sub flick (with Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier), but I don't think it's on DVD.

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
"K-19 the Widowmaker" is a good one.

Stay away from "U-571", it's pratically propaganda.

"20,000 Leagues Under The Sea"(1954) is a fun one, especially the squid battle. Do you know squid like that have thousands of "teeth"? They may be more dangerous then great whites if you get too close.

Mysterious Island isn't quite as good. Herbert Lom isn't James Mason.

I wonder if Georges Melies 1907 version of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea still exists?If it does, it ought to be on dvd.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Just a heads up regarding Crimson Tide. A special edition of this was originally scheduled for release in May, but for unknown reasons Disney postponed it. So far, no legal entanglements have been reported or even speculated on, so I would expect it to get released shortly.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but the 1957 The Enemy Below is a fantastic film, featuring a cat and mouse battle between a destroyer and a German submarine. Fox is releasing it for the first time on DVD on May 25th as part of their "Fox War Classics" series.

I'd also recommend On the Beach with Gregory Peck.

On the humorous side of things, I would recommend both Operation Petticoat and The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming. TRACTRAC is especially humorous, but OP is certainly more submarine oriented.

There are some terrific submarine films that have yet to find their way onto DVD. Like Hell Below, and Morning Departure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks