What's new

Submarine movies (1 Viewer)

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Besides U571, The hunt for Red October, Crimson Tide, and Das Boot, what are some other cool submarine movies on DVD? Subs have always fascinated me since early childhood.
Marc

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Here are a few that I can think of that might be of interest.

Run Silent, Run Deep
K-19 - The Widowmaker
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
Operation Petticoat

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Probably not exactly what you want, but as far as cartoon/comedies:

Disney's Atlantis isn't exactly a "Sub Movie", but there was some cool 3D shots of the sub they used.

Also, I just finished watching The Incredible Mr. Limpet which involved Americans looking for German subs during WWII

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Run Silent Run Deep is the primary one that's out on DVD. The good one that's missing is The Enemy Below which was supposed to be out this year.

Hey, isn't Titanic a submarine movie? They just had problems surfacing......

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
On the Beach (Nuclear war wipes out just about every resident of the Northern Hemisphere but the crew of a submarine)
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (cheesy Irwin Allen Sci-Fi submarine film)
Fantastic Voyage (Microscopic submarine travels through a human body)
Ghosts of the Abyss (James Cameron IMAX 3D documentary on submarine explorations of the Titanic wreckage)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Just another vote for Below. Hardly had any exposure for its theatrical run, and few folks know about it on video. Definitely worth checking out.

Chris Joyner

Stunt Coordinator
Well fellas, I was a Naval submariner for 6 years, and so my opinion is more towards the "that could never happen!" approach. But I got to admit that "Below" is a great submarine movie, and "Das Boot" and "Hunt for Red October" are the most realistic sub movies that I have seen, as far as cub life is concerned.

Chris Joyner

Stunt Coordinator
oops.....I meant sub life not "cub" life (I started thinking about U-571, not realistic at all but really enjoyable).

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I would advise you not to get Silent Running. As an American, you probably wouldn't liek it.

And if you're much an Anglophile, I wouldn't recommend U-571 either as it pretty much writes the British out of one of their most impressive feats in WW2.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Gray Lady Down is IMO the most underrated 70s disaster flick but unfortunately Goodtimes ruined it on DVD with a pan/scan release. Doesn't look if Universal will reclaim it anytime soon.

I was fortunate to get a letterboxed version aired on TCM a few years back but unfortunately while letterboxed it was an "airline edited" version with all snippets of profanity cut out (even a few "Thank Gods" which is real silly!)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
If realism is what you are looking for in a submarine movie, then I recommend Down Periscope with Kelsey Grammer.

Alistair_M

Second Unit
Hi Marc - you have already listed the decent submarine movies - Das Boot, Crimson Tide and Hunt for red october.

Apart from films have you tried any subsim pc games - I find several to be very good - Silent Hunter 1 & 2 and Sub Command. The best ones are very atmospheric.

Info here:

http://www.subsim.com/

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Here is one from Lion's Gate:

It is simply called "Submarines" and is described as follows:

"During a routine training exercise, the American submarine Manta collides with a Russian craft, and Captain William Arlington faces a court-martial upon his return to the U.S. But the trip home is about to be cut short. A band of terrorists, under the control of the charismatic media-conscious Koba, have hijacked another Russian sub. Now, Arlinton must fight for his life to prevent the terrorists from reaching American waters."

UPC# 824255051293

You may also want to have a look at National Geographic for 'realistic' sub movies, as an antedote for pathetic movies such as U-571, which is probably the worst of all sub movies ever - even if the DVD is a good one.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Chris, 'dittos' to a fellow bubblehead. I was on a boomer back in the early 80's. I really liked Crimson Tide, as well. Seemed realistic enough to me, especially the manning battle stations and setting conditions, etc. That is one moive that desparately needs an improved transfer, a Special Edition with Anamorphic Enhancement!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks