What's new

So Bad They're Fun movies we still want on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I admit it, I'm a collector of terrible movies as well as great ones. They often offer equal entertainment value. Most of these are guilty pleasures from my childhood days of watching Chiller Theater and similar programs while in my cellar before a 13" black and white t.v. I buy them as I can afford them when they come out on Blu: MISSILE TO THE MOON, EEGAH, HORROR OF PARTY BEACH, MANOS THE HANDS OF FATE, THE THING THAT WOULDN'T DIE, and FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER, which is apparently coming, etc. But there are many more movies from those days that have not yet appeared on Blu in this country. Here are the ones I can think of offhand:

THE GIANT CLAW
SHE DEMONS
THE SHE CREATURE
ATTACK OF THE 50-FOOT WOMAN
NOT OF THIS EARTH (a fairly good movie, actually)
FIEND WITHOUT A FACE (I really like this)
ATOMIC SUBMARINE
CAT GIRL

and, of course, the hoarded Wade Williams titles:

CAT WOMEN OF THE MOON
ROBOT MONSTER

Many more, they're just not showing themselves in memory right now...

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
WEREWOLF is actually not a terrible movie. FRANKENSTEIN sucks, and I would include that in my want list for terrible films on Blu. But...Susan Hart and all...
Teenage Werewolf is better than Teenage Frankenstein, but you have to admit Teenage Frankenstein has some very gruesome scenes in it and that makeup early in the movie on Gary Conway is absolutely horrifying.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Anyone else get plain sick and tired of Whit Bissell showing up on about every third movie during that period?
Well I'm sure directors thought they were in good hands ...
1609680729351.png

... with no Tribble at all from Mr. Bissell :D!

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
People like Whit and William Schallert (both in the picture above from STAR TREK) worked a lot because they "brought it". Producers, directors and casting directors knew they were pros and could play just about anything. I would also add Willis Bouchey and Jonathan Hale to that list.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I don't remember it well enough to know if it's as bad as its reputation, - probably not - but Goodbye Norma Jean would be very welcome.

Another goodbye film I'd like to have is Hello Goodbye which is a seriously awful movie. It's directed by Jean Negulesco whose work I usually enjoy but this film has a bad screenplay, an embarrassingly inappropriate performance from Michael Crawford and an inexperienced leading lady who does however provide the film's one item of genuine excellence. It's an old and tired joke but in this case it's true and valid: the film has two superb elements . . . and they belong to Genevieve Gilles.

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If we're going forward out of the 1950s, then I want Myra Breckenridge. But now that DIsney controls the rights, I suspect it's a hopeless case.

Not necessarily. Some of the cast members worked for Disney subsequently. Andy Devine went on to voice Friar Tuck in Robin Hood, Jim Backus played the Mayor of Passamaquoddy in Pete's Dragon, and John Huston narrated The Black Cauldron. I doubt the Walt-era holdovers paid much mind to an X-rated movie that flopped while they could still make money with an unapologetically G-rated cartoon like The Aristocats that same year, but they also seemed to have less of an issue with transsexualism and cross-dressing than with open homosexuality: Wendy Carlos (née Walter) composed the Tron score while they were embroiled in a lawsuit over two gay men who wanted to dance together at Disneyland but couldn't. At least when Walt was alive they could use the Production Code to justify their actions.

If MB got a DVD from Rupert Murdoch-era Fox, then that's still more than Song of the South, where Bobby Driscoll gets teased over a lace shirt collar, got from Eisner-and-Iger-era Mouse. Even Fox Movie Channel managed to get ahold of a widescreen master in the 1990s to show with the snarky introduction that basically said "it was shocking then, now it's more like The Ricki Lake Show."

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Not necessarily. Some of the cast members worked for Disney subsequently. Andy Devine went on to voice Friar Tuck in Robin Hood, Jim Backus played the Mayor of Passamaquoddy in Pete's Dragon, and John Huston narrated The Black Cauldron. I doubt the Walt-era holdovers paid much mind to an X-rated movie that flopped while they could still make money with an unapologetically G-rated cartoon like The Aristocats that same year, but they also seemed to have less of an issue with transsexualism and cross-dressing than with open homosexuality: Wendy Carlos (née Walter) composed the Tron score while they were embroiled in a lawsuit over two gay men who wanted to dance together at Disneyland but couldn't. At least when Walt was alive they could use the Production Code to justify their actions.

If MB got a DVD from Rupert Murdoch-era Fox, then that's still more than Song of the South, where Bobby Driscoll gets teased over a lace shirt collar, got from Eisner-and-Iger-era Mouse. Even Fox Movie Channel managed to get ahold of a widescreen master in the 1990s to show with the snarky introduction that basically said "it was shocking then, now it's more like The Ricki Lake Show."

I'm hoping Criterion has it :D!

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I find it hilarious that Disney has X-rated movies in their library, like BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. I don't see MYRA BRECKENRIDGE as a Criterion title. Maybe Kino Lorber.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I find it hilarious that Disney has X-rated movies in their library, like BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. I don't see MYRA BRECKENRIDGE as a Criterion title. Maybe Kino Lorber.
Wasn't it established that the Mouse ate Myra?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks