What's new

So Bad They're Fun movies we still want on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Then CRW's post makes even less sense. CRW wants to own the Blu-ray and doesn't know it's been out for a decade? :unsure:
That's always been one of my pet peeves. I'm amazed at how many posts there are asking 'why isn't x on blu-ray' when even the most cursory google search will reveal that the disc has been available for ages.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That's always been one of my pet peeves. I'm amazed at how many posts there are asking 'why isn't x on blu-ray' when even the most cursory google search will reveal that the disc has been available for ages.

I agree. It's also strange that someone wants to own a movie enough to post about it... but apparently isn't interested enough to peek on Amazon.

Also: why isn't "The Godfather" on Blu-ray? :lol:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I like bad movies that I used to watch on HBO over and over in the 80s. Kino has put out a lot of those, but I still need:

Midnight Madness
The Pirate Movie

Both probably unlikely because they're both owned by Disney. But I wonder if maybe one of these Disney will stoop to license out titles like they used to Anchor Bay. "Pirate Movie" is a Fox release, and I'll point out as we do repeatedly here, that they're not exploiting the Fox catalog that they paid billions for. I don't see endless Fox movies appearing on their streaming platforms. They might as well make money with some of these movies, somehow.

Midnight Madness has an HD transfer that has made its way to iTunes but not Disney+ or the movie club. It was one of the titles for the Anchor Bay licensing deal that also included the likes of two different cuts of The Happiest Millionaire, The Devil and Max Devlin, The Watcher in the Woods (albeit not restored to the complete original cut), and a bunch of other pre-1984 live-action movies, but with the same 4x3 analog composite transfer you probably saw on HBO (assuming it's the one that got the blink-and-you'll-miss-it VHS and Beta release circa 1985). When Disney finally reclaimed the film and re-released it — finally admitting to its Disneyhood after 24 long years of denial — they used the same old transfer there, too, with a silent Buena Vista International TV logo tacked on at the end!* Michael J. Fox came back to Disney multiple times after his later Family Ties and Back to the Future fame made it a "we knew him when" title. The Disney Studio Story spoke more highly of it than Leonard Maltin.

*The only time I've seen any logo attached to it.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Thankfully some of the WW films have been released onto BD. And with Robot Monster coming soon from 3DArchives/Classic Flix the doors seem to be opening for all of us that love these cheesy fun movies, that really deserve a break and be restored and added to the family of movies we watched on late night TV.
Here are some of my favorites in need of a Blu ray restoration:

Attachments

• imag005-2.jpg
    imag005-2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 81RmeRXC+EL._SL1500_.jpg
    81RmeRXC+EL._SL1500_.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 12
  • imag015-2.jpg
    imag015-2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 11
  • imag009.jpg
    imag009.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 12
  • imag026 copy.jpg
    imag026 copy.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 12
  • imag025.jpg
    imag025.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 12
  • imag028.jpg
    imag028.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 11
  • imag035.jpg
    imag035.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 14
  • imag031.jpg
    imag031.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 16
  • imag041 copy.jpg
    imag041 copy.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 14
  • imag043.jpg
    imag043.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 14
  • imag032.jpg
    imag032.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 12

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The Mysterians - MGM/RKO US dub and cut. Colorful Toho spacemen fun from that great 50s era. As kids, we loved it.
Along with Tohos classic Frankeinstein Conquers the Word/The Gargantuans - I've seen bootlegged BD but nothing from Toho!! The BD from Toho may or may not have english sutitles...

Attachments

• 200.jpg
    200.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 12
  • The-War-Of-The-Gargantuas-Toho-Special-Effects.jpg
    The-War-Of-The-Gargantuas-Toho-Special-Effects.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 9622_front.jpg
    9622_front.jpg
    700.6 KB · Views: 11

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Never see the appeal of collecting and watching terrible movies. One watch of Battlefield Earth and Battle Beyond the Stars was enough for me.

As I see it, if I bother to spend money on it or re-watch it then there had to be something that I thought was good about it. The two examples I gave fall into neither of those categories.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thankfully some of the WW films have been released onto BD. And with Robot Monster coming soon from 3DArchives/Classic Flix the doors seem to be opening for all of us that love these cheesy fun movies, that really deserve a break and be restored and added to the family of movies we watched on late night TV.

That’s a good list - some of these I’d personally even give credit for being more than just cheesy movies. Something like Rocketship X-M I’d give credit to being a reasonably serious attempt at making a quality space fiction film at a time when such ideas were rare. It definitely shows it’s age but I think it was made in earnest. (Though I do like Destination Moon better.)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Don't forget "The Hideous Sun Demon".

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
That’s a good list - some of these I’d personally even give credit for being more than just cheesy movies. Something like Rocketship X-M I’d give credit to being a reasonably serious attempt at making a quality space fiction film at a time when such ideas were rare. It definitely shows it’s age but I think it was made in earnest. (Though I do like Destination Moon better.)
There are various levels of cheese, but all fall into the catagoy of ignored orphens, needing the attention and love to bring them back into the light of day!! Get them restored and onto BDs.

Last edited:

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
As I just watched World Without End on a beautiful Warner Archive disc the other day, I'm happy to see this thread resurrected like a monster in one of the movies it discusses. Thankfully in the last couple of years, we've seen some of these get called up to HD, including a number of the ones I mentioned. Anytime there's an announcement from WA, I check to see if any 50s sci-fi is on it. So far, the Giant Behemoth is about the only one I've regretted, haha.

Still waiting on that Cat Women on the Moon 3-D release, but if Robot Monster can get a restoration, anything is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks