What's new

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I don't remember it well enough to know if it's as bad as its reputation, - probably not - but Goodbye Norma Jean would be very welcome.

Another goodbye film I'd like to have is Hello Goodbye which is a seriously awful movie. It's directed by Jean Negulesco whose work I usually enjoy but this film has a bad screenplay, an embarrassingly inappropriate performance from Michael Crawford and an inexperienced leading lady who does however provide the film's one item of genuine excellence. It's an old and tired joke but in this case it's true and valid: the film has two superb elements . . . and they belong to Genevieve Gilles.

I would love to see a BD of Hello Goodbye. Genevieve Giles was gorgeous in this film. Probably not the best reason to see a film but to borrow a scene from Seinfeld...

- Walter.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
At the end of the day, Disney is a corporation beholden to shareholders, and if a case can be made for MB generating a profit as a physical release [or under the more likely scenario, releasing the title to streaming on Hulu], they will act accordingly. It's an insanely awful movie, enjoyable in spurts, but clearly has a fanbase.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I find it hilarious that Disney has X-rated movies in their library, like BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. I don't see MYRA BRECKENRIDGE as a Criterion title. Maybe Kino Lorber.

The same Kino Lorber who unleashed Song of Norway (and also passed on Flower Drum Song? Yeah, I can see that happening if they can also get ahold of any number of mediocre Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures entries from the 1990s (and a selection of choice titles such as both cuts of Nixon).

Wasn't it established that the Mouse ate Myra?

Based on this, I thought it was Donald Duck!

CRW

Grip
Real Name
Chris
Cobra. Where the height of character development is Stallone cutting a pizza with a pair of scissors. Every 80’s action cliche packed into 90 minutes. (And there’s a two hour version out there, somewhere.)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The Corrupt Ones (1967) with Robert Stack, Elke Sommer, Nancy Kwan. (Available in Europe as a DVD, but never in the U.S. not even as a DVD. Dragonslayer (1981) Matthew Robbins, Peter MacNicol on Blu-ray.

What did you find so-bad-it's-good about DRAGONSLAYER? Personally, I think the two young leads are far too contemporary, and MacNicol is actually abrasive, but Ralph Richardson and Peter Eyre and Chloe Salaman and John Hallam were all quite excellent. The effects still hold up, but in 1981 they were quite amazing. Alex North's atonal score is memorable.

AlanP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BAP
Myrabreckposter.jpg

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
I like bad movies that I used to watch on HBO over and over in the 80s. Kino has put out a lot of those, but I still need:

Midnight Madness
The Pirate Movie

Both probably unlikely because they're both owned by Disney. But I wonder if maybe one of these Disney will stoop to license out titles like they used to Anchor Bay. "Pirate Movie" is a Fox release, and I'll point out as we do repeatedly here, that they're not exploiting the Fox catalog that they paid billions for. I don't see endless Fox movies appearing on their streaming platforms. They might as well make money with some of these movies, somehow.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Cobra. Where the height of character development is Stallone cutting a pizza with a pair of scissors. Every 80’s action cliche packed into 90 minutes. (And there’s a two hour version out there, somewhere.)

"Cobra" came out on Blu 2 years ago:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
"Cobra" came out on Blu 2 years ago:

The SE came out 2 years ago, but the first blu-ray was released 10 years ago.

Kent K H

Auditioning
People like Whit and William Schallert (both in the picture above from STAR TREK) worked a lot because they "brought it". Producers, directors and casting directors knew they were pros and could play just about anything. I would also add Willis Bouchey and Jonathan Hale to that list.
For proof, just pop in Edward Ulmer’s Man from Planet X, where Schallert nearly dooms the Earth while twirling his mustache.

I’m glad to have gotten some of my wish list titles from Scream this year. I wouldn’t put Fiend without a Face in my list of “bad” movies. I think it’s genuinely good. But I did finally break down and buy the Criterion DVD.
Some things on my list that haven’t been mentioned include The Atomic Submarine, The Trollenberg Terror (aka The Crawling Eye), The Ghost of Dragstip Hollow, the Three Stooges films and some of the Lucha Libre films like Santo vs the Vampire Women and Wrestling Women vs the Doctor of Doom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvin christ