What's new

Theatrical Out of Darkness (2024)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Title: Out of Darkness (2024)

Tagline: The dawn of man. The birth of fear.

Genre: Horror, Thriller

Director: Andrew Cumming

Cast: Kit Young, Chuku Modu, Iola Evans, Luna Mwezi, Safia Oakley-Green, Arno Luening

Release: 2024-02-09

Runtime: 87

Plot: In the Old Stone Age, a disparate gang of early humans band together in search of a new land. But when they suspect a malevolent, mystical, being is hunting them down, the clan are forced to confront a danger they never envisaged.

I want to champion Out of Darkness for a number of reasons: it was shot on location, it's entirely subtitled, it's an "original" concept. But, man, I just can't.

A sub-90 minute movie, I won't say it drags...but there's no adrenaline in it, no intensity. Is that an editing problem or was that somehow baked into the script? This group of people land in a new world 45,000 years ago and are prey for a "monster." There's some interpersonal relationship drama which tries to make the six humans more than cannon fodder, but it doesn't really work. The movie is too short to really develop any of it.

And as the ending rolls around, a number impossible possibilities ran through my mind, all of which I would have laughed at, but all of which seem more believable than what we get.

It's a dark movie by design, lit by fire or the sky. Makes sense in context of the story; it also makes most of the movie hard to see. I can't imagine trying to watch this in a room with any amount of light.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks