What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Sub enclosures (1 Viewer)

i looking for a custom 10" ported box that will fit in my gm 95 sierra ext cab. does anyone know where to find one. also, is ported better than bandpass or sealed boxes?

--also, are profile amps any good?

thanks

Niraj Patel

Agent
Ported being better is entirely dependent on the listener. For cars, I like sealed and for HT I like ported. Bandpass is just disgusting to me (so much boom and roll...). Bandpass boxes are usually used for lower power applications to make it seem like there is mroe power being driven than there actually is (at the cost of clarity and accuracy).

Profile amps are no good. Profile, Legacy, Pyle, Pryamid, Audiobahn, etc are brands to stay away from. Their amps are very inefficeint are draw large amounts of current.

As far as a custom enclosure goes... The best bet would be to goto a local shop and ask them how much it would be to mold you one.

Thanks for the advice. If profile is no good, what multi-amp do you think is best to power two front speakers, then bridge the rear to power the sub. i would like to have about 200 RMS or even more to the sub, but i dont want to spend over $200 - $250. any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up the Sony XM-460GTX online for $140. Specs:

600W max power
60W x 4 into 4 ohm, 20 - 20kHz, @ 0.08% THD
75W x 4 into 2 ohm, 20 - 20 kHz, @ 0.1% THD
60W x 2 + 150W x 1 into 4 ohm, 20Hz - 20kHz, @ 0.1% THD

Very nicely made.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I'm not sure what you mean exactly by custom box, but if you're looking for a prefab one that is made spefically for your vehicle, I think this may be the ticket(though it might be for standard cab only)
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N
It's a bit pricey but will look clean and stock which may be worth the premium price. They have other stuff there too(I saw an MTX enclosure that already had a woofer in it that would fit your truck). Plug in your behicle info and take a look around to get some ideas.

Chris*Lombardo

Auditioning
build your own box. Very easy, much cheaper, and most likely a better build quality. 3/4 mdf wood. Wood glue it together and screw (screws defeat the use for clamps). Make sure to predrill the holes. About 1 screw for every 1.5 - 2 inches. Carpet or laminate. You're good to go.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
David I just bought the Rockford Fosgate 551X multi-channel amp and it seems to fit your needs perfectly.

70 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
140 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
275 watts RMS x 2 in bridged mode at 4 ohms
2-, 3-, or 4-channel output
4-ohm stable in bridged mode
Tri-Way capable

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

I bought it for $220 shipped new on Ebay using the Buy It Now option. The amp did come new in a sealed box and it sounds great connected to my Focal components.

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
get the Hifonics ZX8000, its a five channel amp. Got it for 234$ shipped off ebay. Better than RF or Sony and Pyle blows. Its 50x4 plus 200x1. Incredible amp. You'll need a good 4ch if you want to run it in trimode. I had the SOny 460 and it sucked. Bench tested it and got 47-52RMS per channel and in 3ch mode only got 140s for the 3ch. Very disappointing. SOld that thing within 1 month. As far amps best, depends on many factors. Price, RMS needs, and sub/speakers. Price we'll go for under 300$. RMS needs and speakers we'll say you need atleast 250RMS for the sub and 50 for the speakers. the RF is good but lacks just like Sony does. And even with the RMS is says(which RF did overrate their stuff at a 14.4v instead of 12v, they may have changed that) thats not alot of power going to a sub. Most subs take about 300RMS. Might be better and cost roughly the same for you to get two 2ch amp instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks