What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That's an interesting point about childhood and teen years, Tommy. I'm sure a few of us have sour memories, but for me the OT, and it's message and storytelling, actually helped me get through some pretty tough times. That kind of emotional resonance really isn't present in the PT, or LoTR (or many of the other "hot properties" recently like GoT). I'd think some of the more successful films within the MCU is probably the closest in terms of tone and optimism (even in the face of evil) that would strike a chord with kids today similarly to what the OT did for me and my generation.

That said, I still stand by my assertion that kids today are being hit with consumable media from way too many different sources to ever have a franchise have the same effect the OT did back in the day.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I've literally seen the Marvel movies once and will probably never see them ever again so they basically mean very little to me but I do think that'll be the one that's most cited as the favorite of the "kids today" in a couple decades. That being said, most 80's kids will say they love Star Wars and Indiana Jones or The Goonies or Jaws or Tron or etc., etc., so there's always room for a second place. :)

As an avid comic book reader I look to the films much the same way as the comics that inspired them. After I read a saga, or series of comic books (Civil War, Death of Superman etc,) I will never re-read it again. Only a very select few do I feel the need to revisit.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That said, I still stand by my assertion that kids today are being hit with consumable media from way too many different sources to ever have a franchise have the same effect the OT did back in the day.
Absolutely. It think it's good that there's now so many avenues for artists and the audience but it's kinda sad that there isn't a shared experience for people today and in the future like there was for the generation of people who grew up with Star Wars or The Beatles or whatever old pop culture high point you choose.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And TLJ in the sequel trilogy was a real divide for many people. Some really love it(me), some really hate it (everyone else);)

People who think TLJ is a terrible film are the minority on this site. Also most likely in the wider population too, since most people are casual movie watchers and do not have strong opinions on the quality of a film. Most of them think it is just entertainment.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Not only that, but even the experience of how we watch these things has changed so drastically that we’re not having that same kind of shared experience.

I remember when I was a kid and a teenager (80s/90s), a hit movie would be there all summer. I didn’t get to see Jurassic Park right away but because it played all summer long, not being able to see it for the first two weeks didn’t mean that I didn’t get to see it like it would most likely mean today. And there are so many different delivery points for the same content now that it’s no longer the simple equations of “see it on big screen in theater = good” vs “wait year for VHS version on tiny TV = bad”.

It’s crazy to think that in the same amount of time that passed between when Jurassic Park opened in theaters to when I saw it in theaters is probably the same amount of time it took for Avengers to open, break box office records, come out on physical media and then be available virtually for free on subscription streaming. That cycle now takes 3-4 months. The equivalent in the 90s would have been theaters to video to premium cable to basic cable to broadcast TV, and that cycle took 3-4 years.

We don’t stop long enough for any one thing to get that kind of moment anymore.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The only part of that I believe is the part where Disney wouldn't have wanted a longer cut because it would have reduced the number of showings and box office potential.

Plus, people are already complaining about the "fan service" and they are supposedly planning a cut that would contain even more of it?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Not only that, but even the experience of how we watch these things has changed so drastically that we’re not having that same kind of shared experience.

I remember when I was a kid and a teenager (80s/90s), a hit movie would be there all summer. I didn’t get to see Jurassic Park right away but because it played all summer long, not being able to see it for the first two weeks didn’t mean that I didn’t get to see it like it would most likely mean today. And there are so many different delivery points for the same content now that it’s no longer the simple equations of “see it on big screen in theater = good” vs “wait year for VHS version on tiny TV = bad”.

It’s crazy to think that in the same amount of time that passed between when Jurassic Park opened in theaters to when I saw it in theaters is probably the same amount of time it took for Avengers to open, break box office records, come out on physical media and then be available virtually for free on subscription streaming. That cycle now takes 3-4 months. The equivalent in the 90s would have been theaters to video to premium cable to basic cable to broadcast TV, and that cycle took 3-4 years.

We don’t stop long enough for any one thing to get that kind of moment anymore.

You don't actually have to see a hit movie in the 1st 2 weeks or miss it, of course, but it's clear that the timetable is radically different than it was 25 years ago.

According to BOM, "Jurassic Park" was still in some theaters through April 1994! Not many, but it was out there.

IIRC, "JP" hit home video in fall 1994. Obviously that nearly 18-month wait for video wouldn't happen nowadays...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Running times rarely have an effect on boxoffice as evidenced by many 3+ hour films. If it’s good people will go see it at some point. Longer films also seem to have longer theatrical lives. Giving people time to see it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Even if it IS a shameless cash grab, I'd still be interested in seeing the film with 50 minutes of new footage in it. If this comes to pass, hopefully BOTH cuts will be included on the eventual disc release, AND in the Skywalker Saga uber-box.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't see it that way with 50 additional minutes.

Fair. No one ever said we had to agree.

No other SW film for 42 years has had an extended version in the theater or video (AFAIK). I'm not counting the Special Edition's because they're a different beast.

So my question is: why this one? Is it just because there's so much extra footage lying around? Is it because they don't want the saga finale to not be the highest grossing of the three new films? I also understand we're talking about unsubstantiated rumor and one story right now which may never happen.

In any event, if this happens, I will see it. I'll likely get side eye from people who know my feelings on the movie itself, but that's fine. I even saw Clone Wars in the theater, so... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks