1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by dpippel, Dec 19, 2019.

1. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    [​IMG]
    Title: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Tagline: Every generation has a legend

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: J.J. Abrams

Cast: Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Anthony Daniels, Naomi Ackie, Domhnall Gleeson, Richard E. Grant, Lupita Nyong'o, Keri Russell, Joonas Suotamo, Kelly Marie Tran, Ian McDiarmid, Billy Dee Williams, Harrison Ford, Dominic Monaghan, Billie Lourd, Greg Grunberg, Amanda Lawrence, Dave Chapman, Brian Herring, Richard Bremmer, Nasser Memarzia, Simon Paisley Day, Hayden Christensen, Ewan McGregor, Alec Guinness, Liam Neeson, Samuel L. Jackson, Frank Oz, Andy Serkis, Ashley Eckstein, Olivia d'Abo, Jennifer Hale, James Earl Jones, Freddie Prinze Jr., John Williams, Denis Lawson, Warwick Davis, Shirley Henderson, Mandeep Dhillon, J.J. Abrams, Josef Altin, Nigel Godrich, Dhani Harrison, Jodie Comer, Billy Howle, Angelique Perrin, Nick Kellington

Release Date:

Runtime: 141

Plot: The next installment in the franchise and the conclusion of the “Star Wars“ sequel trilogy as well as the “Skywalker Saga.”

Spoilers be found here!!!

2. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    A little over 6 hours till I see it. I’ve pretty much avoided all spoilers and reviews. Can’t wait.

dpippel likes this.
  3. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    I envy you guys. It's not on my schedule until next week, and my wife isn't interested so I'll be seeing it, um, solo. ;)

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

And you guys are going into a spoiler thread? You guys are crazy or brave! :)

SamT, Tino and dpippel like this.
  5. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    Oh, I'm done coming in here for now. You won't see me until next week sometime. Happy Holidays, all! I hope you enjoy the hell out of the movie! :)

TravisR and Tino like this.
  6. Message #6 of 697 Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    This is amazingly hilarious to me. You open a spoiler thread and all people who have not seen the movie come here? Seriously? Then if we post a spoiler here I bet you are all going to get upset! :lol:

I personally think that having 2 threads are going to be confusing. I think if someone has not seen the movie after a week, 2 weeks should stop visiting a thread that is dedicated to that movie.

Coressel likes this.
  7. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    Baby Yoda is indeed in this movie.
    He is of course older in this and he is Yoda's son. He and Palpatine have an epic lightsaber duel at the end. Really loved that part. And of course he is cute as hell.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I’ve seen it! Getting ready for my second showing. First impression, it’s okay so I’m not entirely happy with it. It’s a bit of a mess. More to come after my second viewing as I further process this movie.

Tino likes this.
  9. JimmyO

JimmyO Berserker
    Supporter

Jim
    oops wrong forum

10. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    I enjoyed this movie quite a lot for the most part.

Rey being Palpatine's grand daughter isn't a theory I heard too often.

I went up to go to the bathroom when I thought was a good spot but then I got to the door and Harrison Ford was suddenly speaking. I turned around and watched the rest of the scene.

Does anyone have any clue why Ben died? I would have understood if he saved Rey and then immediately died himself, but he saved Rey and then looked fine for a couple of minute and then suddenly died.

I was thinking that this film handled fan service less (ma)clunky than TFA did, and then Chewie was suddenly handed the medal that he didn't get in ANH.

I had no idea why the movie was called The Rise of Skywalker until literally the last 30 seconds of the movie.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Now only the last 30 seconds, but that all the Skywalkers have risen including Ben. Oops got to go for my second viewing.

12. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I liked it. It's not nearly as bad as the buzz would have you believe. Zero Mandalorian interactions tho, that rumor was a red herring.

I liked the Lando cockblock / girl steal move tho, that was awesome,

13. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    I smiled when Harrison Ford showed up. During the red carpet event, I said Harrison Ford showed up and put it in a spoiler tag here. People made "fun" of it and said they invite everyone but who's laughing now? :D I knew it. Had a a hunch. It was very strange. They showed him for few seconds on the stream but he never stopped for an interview and he looked like he is in a hurry avoiding being interviewed.

14. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    I would count the force healing which wasn't seen before this week but now has appeared twice as a connection to the Mandalorian.

Brian L and Tommy R like this.
  15. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    I also lost few minutes due to a bathroom break. Who was that girl finally? On the contrary at the end I got the impression that they want to say that is Lando's daughter. The dialog was like, Lando had visited where she was born.

16. Message #16 of 697 Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    WillG

WillG Lead Actor

i was surprised but not at the same time. Not surprised because I figured JJ couldn’t resist a Han cameo, but figured Ford would not have been interested.

there was more context appropriate footage of fisher than I would have expected (or scenes were written around what they had) it seemed you could kind of tell she was composited in and kind of obvious where a body/voice double needed to be used.

I expected course correction on Rey’s linage but the pulled the “certain point of view” trick.

one other sort of technical thing that bothered me a bit. If the first Death Star was the size of a small moon, big enough that skimming the surface of it gives a flat perspective and 2nd Death Star was even bigger, than from the point of view of that characters the be able to view the wreckage the way they did, they should have been at least a hundred thousand miles away from it.

17. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    Makes me wonder if that wasn't one of the reasons to release The Mandalorian Ch. 7 yesterday (and to include that scene in it). The new Force powers are getting a little out of hand, being able to not only Force-project oneself over distance but now apparently they can remotely duel and teleport objects too. The midichlorians must be evolving. :)

18. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Just got back from seeing it. Neither as bad as I feared nor as good as I hoped. My neck/shoulder injury was really acting up tonight, and that doubtless affected my enjoyment.

I've read a few reviews that stated that this movie was one giant fuck you to Rian Johnson and The Last Jedi. I just don't see that at all. In fact, I think the bold and unconventional choices Johnson made with The Last Jedi made this a better movie. Abrams is a better optimizer than he is an innovator, and I loved how he took the Force conversations between Rey and Kylo Ren from The Last Jedi and ran with them.

Rey has a pretty satisfying arc over the three movies, from abandoned scavenger to last of the Jedi. The relationship between her and the artist formerly known as Kylo Ren has a satisfying payoff.

I don't think the movie earned bringing Emperor Palpatine back. I'm not sure if he was supposed to be a clone or just Palpatine's reanimated corpse, but it felt unnecessary and it robbed the ending of Return of the Jedi of some of its significance. I would have preferred it if he had a more thematic or metaphorical presence in the film, rather than a literal one.

I don't like how commonplace this movie has made planet-destroying weapons. If you can bolt a planet-destroying weapon to the bottom of a Star Destroyer, it won't be long before there isn't any planets left.

I thought the whole secret Sith fleet wasn't necessary. One, it's never explained how Palpatine marshaled the vast resources to build such a fleet, or sustain it until the time had come for the Final Order. Two, the Resistance got decimated in The Last Jedi; at the start of this movie they only numbered in the dozens. The First Order's existing Navy would have, for all intents and purposes, been just as seemingly insurmountable a threat.

Leia's role in the movie isn't nearly as good or effective as it would have been had Carrie Fisher survived to film new material. But given what little they had to work with, it's borderline miraculous how well integrated she is into the movie -- and how consequential she is to the events that transpire. The combination of building new conversations out of what she'd shot for cut scenes, careful use of body doubles, and a couple tastefully done uses of CG recreation went a long way.

Lando also felt kind of extraneous here. I got the sense that he was here because Leia couldn't be in the way they wanted her to be, and they felt the need to have a beloved original trilogy character to anchor things in a supporting role.

We got a lot of new supporting characters as well, and I think the movie could have dumped a lot of them. I didn't think Poe or Finn were particularly well served by the movie. The Last Jedi set Poe up to follow in Leia's footsteps as a great leader of the Resistence, but the movie didn't give him many opportunities to apply the lessons that that movie taught him. Finn being Force-sensitive didn't feel earned, or in keeping with what the previous two movies showed us.

The fake out with Chewbacca's death also felt like a cheat. It was never satisfactorily explained how it happened, given that they saw Chewbacca board the ship with their own eyes. And if you're going to pull a move like that, you need to play out the consequences rather than just use it for a cheap surprise.

The problem with that is that the other thread would be nothing but spoilers tags during the grace period. For a movie destined to generate this much discussion, I'm glad we don't have to wait. In the glory days of message boards, when the HTF Movies forum had a lot more discussion than it has now, we had separate threads for quite a few movies.

That's my take as well. If they had taken the third of the movie that was necessary and stripped out all of the other crap, I think it could have been a truly great movie. It's just way too overstuffed.

The first third or so, in particular, is so relentlessly paced that none of the moments have the breathing room to land. A lot of gobbledygook we don't have any emotional investment in is through at us in very quick succession.

Me neither, and if she had to have a connection to a powerful Force user from the original trilogy, he was certainly the most interesting choice.

When you get to the end of a nine-movie saga, legacy is going to be a prominent theme: Lots has happened, decisions made that echo down generations. How each person grapples with that legacy is an interesting thing to explore at the end.

What made that scene work was the way Han's dialog echoed his dialog in his death scene in The Force Awakens. It's not Han back from the dead; it really is Ben Solo's memory of him. The only thing that's changed is how son the reacts to the father's words.

I think it's similar to Luke at the end of The Last Jedi; he was already so drained, and the energy required for what he did was so great that he couldn't survive it.

Whatever the movie's flaws, it ended well.

The age gap between them was so great that I didn't get that read on the scene at all. But given Lando's history, you're almost certainly right.

Force healing is a tricky thing. Before the prequels, it was a pretty common Force power in ancillary media. But if it was a common Jedi power, it doesn't make sense that Anakin thought he needed to turn to the Dark Side to save Padmé.

It also risks making the Jedi too invincible, since virtually any injury is survivable if there's a Jedi nearby to heal you.

joshEH and benbess like this.
  19. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    I agree with you on this, I didn't find this movie disrespectful to Rian Johnson at all. I think J.J. found better reasons to reverse course than Rian had when he changed them from what J.J. intended to begin with. Although I don't believe that J.J. intended Rey to be a Palpatine, since the whole Emperor storyline seemed to come out of nowhere because Snoke was dead and J.J. needed a bad guy.

Joe Wong likes this.
  20. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    I really liked it. Yeah, some of it could have been better (I agree the first third felt rushed).
    But there was a whole lot to love.

i teared up when they returned to Tattoine.

I liked that Chewie got the medal (probably Han’s) that he should have got in ‘77

Wedge!!!

Snoke’s heritage

The matched battle in the sea

Han (although I wonder if that scene was originally planned as a Leia/Ben conversation)

Rey overcoming Palpatine literally (and then figuratively at the end)

MacGregor/Oz/Neeson/Jackson/Hamill/others voices

joshEH, Coressel and TravisR like this.