1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Discussion Thread (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by dpippel, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    No run time is written in stone. There was no reason to cut the movie down to a 2 1/4 hour run time aside from trying to fit as many showings of the movie into a day as possible. That's not an artistic decision; that's financial. Endgame had no problem making money being as long as it was. So why hamstring JJ and the finale of the Skywalker story with a run time which made him apparently delete a lot of very good and usable stuff?

They're not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. They're not doing it because of a social media campaign. If JJ didn't have the clout to get the three hour version in theater's in December, I doubt he has the clout now to get this done in January. So...why? It's money. I don't buy it's artistic in any way.

For the record, I doubt this will happen. If it does, it is Disney and LucasFilm admitting their original product was a rough cut or incomplete, similar to Cats sending a new version out with extra CGI after release. And that's not something Disney ever fesses up to.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It's always been and always will be about money for the studios. As for the run time, I'm a big proponent of less is more so I commend them for trying to get TROS into a leaner run time. That being said, if it works better at a longer run time, great. I imagine that like most extended cuts, this will have some good stuff that should have stayed in and some stuff that should have stayed out.

3. Tommy R

Tommy R Screenwriter

Tommy
    But according to the article the cut to be re-released in theaters will only be a 165-minute “extended cut”, only 23 minutes longer. Then followed by a 185-minute “J.J. Abrams cut” on blu-ray. And THEN the 192-minute cut exclusively on Disney+.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

So if this were to happen (and I am unfamiliar with that site that was linked, so I don't know how accurate that reporting is), a few observations/questions spring to mind:
    • Is this the first J.J. Abrams Director's Cut of a film? This is a question, not hyperbole. I know there are certain directors like Ridley Scott for whom DCs are the norm, but I seem to recall most of Abrams' films that hit home video to be essentially the version released in the theater.
    • Given the rumored amount of extra footage, if true I don't think it's a "cash grab" because that's way too much footage (and requisite thought, effort, and editing put into re-integrating it) so it probably is legitimate storytelling footage. The quality of that storytelling remains to be seen.
    • If the original cut was some 40-50 minutes longer, I wonder if this could be a "Kingdom of Heaven" situation (speaking of Ridley Scott). I'm a big Scott fan, but when I saw KoH in the theaters I thought it was kind of a mess, but I still liked it...enough to buy it on BD when it came out. The BD was a director's cut that was significantly longer (probably around the same 40-50m) but it flowed better. So despite being nearly an hour longer, it felt shorter, and the film played better.
    That said, I'll be interested to see if some more mainstream sites pick up this news.

5. Greg.K

Greg.K Cinematographer

Greg K.
    Ugh. I won't go back to the theater just for that then.

The disc should have the same cut as Disney+ though. This will make me skip the disc to wait for a later one, and I already am paying for Disney+, so...

AshJW likes this.
  6. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Supporting Actor

Or the 181 minute Avengers: Endgame... the highest grossing movie of all time.

The top 3 highest grossing films of all time average out at just under 3 hrs (179 min, to be exact):

Endgame: 181 min
    Titanic: 194 min

And then there's the film which is at the top of (domestic) inflation-adjusted lists, Gone with the Wind, which is just under 4 hours (238 min according to IMDB)...

AshJW likes this.
  7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

I know people that think it foolish to watch any movie in the theater even twice, as it is a waste of money/pathetic. I made the mistake of telling them I saw a movie three times once, and got an eyeroll with a dumb sounding "why would you do that?".

I no longer talk about movies with them.

Tommy R likes this.
  8. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

9. Tommy R

Tommy R Screenwriter

Tommy
    I’ve seen uncountable movies more than once in the theater. And I’ve seen older movies in the theater even when I own them at home. One of the best times I had in the theater in 2019 was seeing Star Trek: The Motion Picture when it was one of the Fathom events. There’s just something different about seeing a movie in a theater and I value the experience. I guess some people just don’t get it.

When I was 6 or 7, Pinocchio was re-released in theaters and I begged my mom to take me, even though we had it on home video. She did take me, but not very many years later, and still to this day occasionally, she would bring it up as a topic of annoyance that I wanted her to take me even though I could have just watched it at home.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    With such people I wouldn't even bother talking about movies with them. Not a knock on them, but why bother as it's obvious they have a different value system when it comes to movies playing in a movie theater.

dpippel and Bryan^H like this.
  11. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Wise move.
    I've seen many movies more than once theatrically, including movies I actually own on disc.
    Seeing the restored The Man Who Fell To Earth theatrically the other year, first time in a theater since I saw it back in 1976, was magical, and I have seen it countless times on VHS, DVD and blu in the meantime.

Bryan^H likes this.
  12. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    That was beautiful, you typed the words right out of my keyboard, thanks.
    Still love the final scene, though.

DaveF likes this.
  13. disctrip

disctrip Second Unit
    Supporter

hank freitas
    Just got back from seeing it. Loved it Enough said.

Tim Glover, TravisR and Tommy R like this.
  14. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    upload_2020-1-7_21-29-3.

Greg.K and Tommy R like this.
  15. Tommy R

Tommy R Screenwriter

Tommy
    :rolling-smiley:

Sam Posten likes this.
  16. disctrip

disctrip Second Unit
    Supporter

hank freitas
    You can see more of her (naked) in "Silent Witness".

17. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    :rolleyes:

18. Ross Gowland

Ross Gowland Stunt Coordinator

Ross Gowland
    Well, you can see her baps but as she’s supposed to be a badly bruised corpse it’s not that erotic.

Must’ve been filmed in a cold room though.

19. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Absolutely. But "ideas" isn't an outline. I'm glad The whole did they/didn't they thing has been cleared up. That debate has been raging for years, and needed to be resolved.
    They didn't work from an outline for the three films. "mystery Box" in motion. It was a success!

20. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Saw it for the second, and likely last time, in the theaters last night with my friend who was finally able to get time off of work to come up and watch it (she and I have watched all of this Trilogy together, but we live about 120 miles apart so timing often doesn't let her watch it on release week). We saw at a local Laser IMAX showing (we didn't go to the TCL Chinese where I saw it on opening weekend). Just a few thoughts on my own personal experience, having now about 3 weeks between the first and second viewing. As a reminder, I thought it to be a fitting wrap-up to the series, and would have rated it about a 7 out of 10 based on my first viewing.
    • I enjoyed it more the second time, and found pacing (and cramming of info) to be less of a problem. Obviously this is because I already had seen it, so I wasn't absorbing things for the first time.
    • My feeling now is that Finn definitely was going to tell Rey he was force sensitive because I was able to catch several instances where he does "have a feeling" about things happening in the movie, which I didn't fully catch before. Plus the delivery in those times where he "has something to tell her" has zero romantic overtones in either the scene, or Finn's delivery of the line.
    • Definitely saw the second Chewie shuttle this time. :laugh:
    • The "shoehorning Leia's remaining old TFA scenes to fit the new storyline" might have been a little more obvious (it was not obvious to me at all on first viewing and I thought it was excellently done). But that also might be because I've read so many complaints about it that maybe my brain was now wired to try and nitpick it. Regardless, it did not degrade the movie experience for me.
    As an aside, I did re-watch TLJ the day before, and yes, while there was a lot of course correction re: Rey's parents, I still didn't find it to be a "repudiation" or "rejection" of TLJ. There is plenty of evidence in TLJ that Rey is strongly enticed to go to the dark side during her intro to, and training in, the force by Luke. So there is groundwork there laid where RoS could justify her being a Palpatine without being accused of "retconning".

Now I am not pollyanna and going to gloss over the films flaws, it definitely has them. But upon second viewing I'm going to increase my score of it to 7.5. So to put it in historical perspective for me:
    • SW: 8
    • tESB: 10
    • RotJ: 6.5
    • TFA: 7
    • TLJ: 8
    • RoS: 7.5
    And now having enjoyed all of the films multiple times, I have reinforced my own personal opinion that tESB is the outlier, along with the pop-cultural impact of the original movie, that have raised expectation levels to near unattainable for the movies to follow. Overall I find that the Final Trilogy to be a worth successor to the Original Trilogy, even if it never hits the heights of tESB because, in my view, none of the other original films do either.