What's new

Star Trek Price Drop (1 Viewer)

John*D

Second Unit
BestBuy.com has season 1 of TNG for $69.99 and season 4 for ~$90 and the rest are $108. I didn't check DS9.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

In other words, they seem to be re-pricing the oldest (in terms of DVD release) stuff first. I wouldn't expect the original series to get a price drop anytime soon unless they discover the new pricing makes them a lot of money.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I think it's a matter of pricing the first few seasons to get new buyers hooked, then hopefully getting them to buy the later seasons at a premium price. TOS can't do that because they don't have enough seasons.

Seems to me they are following what Fox is going to do with X-Files... without the repackage.

Maybe they figured since X-Files was finally officially coming down (I know Amazon has had pretty decent prices on it for a while, but B&M prices were still over $100 a season)), now is the time for better priced Trek as well.

Doesn't make sense to me to lower the first few and never lower the others... I think they will just do it in waves.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Those quoted prices are quite incorrect. When Best Buy has a price listed on their site, if it's not on sale Best Buy will have the item listed as "Our Price." If it's on sale it will say "Our Price" with the indicator "On Sale" with a checkmark indicator next to it underneath the "ADD TO CART" button tab.

I walked into the local Best Buy and they DO NOT have the sale going on through their retail stores. The prices all range from either $99.99 to $107.99. Their website lists their sets at the following prices:

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1: 69.99 (Permanent Price Drop)
Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 2: 107.99 (On Sale)
Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 3: 107.99 (On Sale)
Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 4: 91.99 (On Sale)
Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 5: 107.99 (On Sale)
Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 6: 107.99 (On Sale)
Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 7: 107.99 (On Sale)

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Season Season 1: $85.59 (On Sale)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Season Season 2: $85.59 (On Sale)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Season Season 3: $85.59 (On Sale)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Season Season 4: $85.59 (On Sale)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Season Season 5: $85.59 (On Sale)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Season Season 6: $85.59 (On Sale)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Season Season 7: $85.59 (On Sale)

Star Trek: Voyager Season 1: $85.59 (On Sale)
Star Trek: Voyager Season 2: $85.59 (On Sale)
Star Trek: Voyager Season 3: $85.59 (On Sale)
Star Trek: Voyager Season 4: $85.59 (On Sale)
Star Trek: Voyager Season 5: $79.99 (On Sale)
Star Trek: Voyager Season 6: $79.99 (On Sale)
Star Trek: Voyager Season 7: $79.99 (On Sale)

Star Trek: Enterprise Season 1: $85.59 (On Sale)
Star Trek: Enterprise Season 2: $85.59 (On Sale)
Star Trek: Enterprise Season 3: $85.59 (On Sale)
Star Trek: Enterprise Season 4: $85.59 (On Sale)

These are the prices that are currently listed on the Best Buy website. Only the first season of TNG has siffered a permenent price drop.

JamesED

Second Unit
Awesome, I've been waiting for a good price drop before I consider investing in these. $100 a pop was just way too much for my budget (still in college).

I won't be able to dig up this much money until summer, but by then there should be good deals for 7 season sets. ($250ish I'm hoping)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Those prices are just temporary though. Expect them to jump back oup to $100 or more. Paramount isn't going to drop the prices on their cash cow ... can we say MOOOOOOOO?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious about why TOS seems like it's immune to price-dropping among the "Star Trek" series. Anyone have a theory? As it looks now, I'll have to wait for DD's 20% off summer sale before getting this one.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Anybody notice DDD has season 1 thru 3 listed as being re-released Jan. 31, 2006 and DVDEmpire have season 1 listed as being re-released Jan. 31, 2006 and season 2 and 3 instock at the old price?

Maybe there's something different about seasons 1 thru 3 prompting a lower price. I said maybe.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, you guys. It seems that the Best Buy prices on the Star Trek TV Series were a temporary thing. The TNG prices jumped back up to $134.99, and all of the other shows jumped back up to $107.99. The only sets that are on sale are the Star Trek Enterprise sets and only the "First Three Seasons of Enterprise" are on sale this week from Best Buy at $44.95 plus Reward Zone members get a bonus 15,000 points for the purchase of any one of these sets.

Christopher D

Second Unit
My guess is that Best Buy had a lot of excess stock of these and worked with Paramount to unload them. I've seen reports on other boards of people getting the Best Buy bonus discs from price-dropped sets ordered at other retailers. Makes a lot of sense if you consider that Best Buy never really had great prices on these sets and doesn't want a lot of dead inventory hanging around.

At the same time, Paramount gets some valuable market data on how consumers react to the lower price points.

I took advantage of this to get Enterprise seasons 2 and 3 today to complete the mega-set. Either cause for celebration or verification of full membership in the geek club - not sure which.

MattHR

Screenwriter

Christopher, a true geek would already own them, having obtained them on their release dates, with little regard to the price. So your full membership in the geek club has been denied. :)

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I noticed that too. But I went ahead and ordered season one of TNG from DDD and it shipped anyways. I don't know why they have those pre-release dates listed, but don't feel you have to wait to cash in on this deal, because I already received my set. (I opted for overnight delivery and got it basically the next day, so I ended up paying a bit more. But what can I say, when I want something I want something. :D )

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Really tempting...like many people, I haven't been able to afford all the seasons of Enterprise. But knowing that high def versions will be coming in awhile makes me wonder if this would be a waste to buy them now.

Too bad this sale doesn't include season four of Enterprise. That's the one I want the most - the best season! (IMO)

Britton

Screenwriter

Ditto, but I went ahead and picked up Season 3 yesterday. I never watched it, but the fact it has a season long story arc was enough to intrigue me. It didn't hurt that RZ members get a ton of points for buying, and I had $100 worth of RZ certificates to burn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks