What's new

Star Trek Price Drop (1 Viewer)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I'm thinking he's referring to the Deep Discount DVD bi-annual 20% off sale, the next one of which should come around this summer.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Wow!

It's about time! Like many here I've already aquired all the Star Trek I want. But this is *great news* for the many thousands of casual Star Trek fans out there!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I would buy some of Voyager if they dropped the price but until Paramount wakes up and realizes that what they are charging is not even close to being competitive than forget it.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
I really hope this holds until the DDD 20% off sale. I'd like to complete my DS9 collection as I only got the first two seasons. However I got em for $40 a piece off of eBay used... and yes they are the legit R1 releases. :D

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
glad to see the drop, but until it goes below $40/season (tng is all I care about) I still wont be picking up this series

george fr

Auditioning
If you can play region 2 dvd's and know someone in England,you should go to play.comwhere you can buy every season of Star Trek from Original Series to Enterprise for approximately $70 each.Then of course you have to pay postage from England to US.I bought a Cyberhome 300 DVD player for about $40 and it plays region 2 discs lovely.You should also look for Babylon 5 season sets for about $42.With the amount of money you save from buying all 7 seasons of TNG and DS9,you could travel there and collect it personally.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Who-hoo! Thanks for the heads up.

Does anyone know if they still sell those little multi-colored "space-ships" with the seasons and is that another season?

Ryanb

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Deep Discount DVD? Amazon.com? While I'm not debating the authenticity of those sites, how many of us here shop at the brick and mortar stores of Target, Best Buy, Circuit City and other discount retailers?

Not one of these retailers are registering price drops on these sets. SInce I haven't seen any official announcement from TV Shows on DVD, Paramount or Star Trek.com I'm not holding my breath that this is going to be a widespread thing. With Warner Brothers, Universal, Sony/MGM all having their sales while promoting their DVD lines I'm thinking that this is Paramount's thing in order to try and snag more profits on their Star Trek DVD sets.

What they need to do is announce a permament price drop on all of their sets and get more in line with what other TV SHows on DVD sets are selling at. Currently, I've been passing over on the Star Trek DVD sets mainly because of the price tags attached to their sets and when an average DVD set is selling at an average of $45 Paramount isn't moving their sets as fast as they should be.

All in all, I think this is only a temporary thing which will go the way of the wind soon enough. Paramount isn't going to want to lose that premium profit on their DVD sets for too long.

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby
Finally! This is great news. Those first three TNG seasons are very tempting. If they'd extend this to Voyager, I'd buy a set for sure.

I wonder if this will affect the prices on eBay after a while. $50-$60 is about what I paid for some of the Voyager sets I got on there. If those prices were to split in half as well... :)

Alex Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
at deepdiscount the complete 7 season sets of each is being lowered to 314.59 which is about 45 a season

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
I'm afraid you are incorrect, at least as far as my Canadian retailers are concerned. Bestbuy.ca and Futureshop.ca both have the first three seasons of TNG and DS9 lowered to $78.99 CDN, while the rest remain at their usual price. There is no mention whatsoever of this being a temporary sale, so I'm inclined to believe that this price drop is permanent and will soon filter down through the other seasons. Which is great because I want to buy every single Star Trek season there is, but not at the prices they're at. Paramount must think that because someone likes Star Trek they have an unlimited supply of money or something...

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
Still too high, IMO. I guess I'm just older and wiser and poorer, because I once paid $200 for a limited edition (1,000 copies) of the 25th Anniversary movie set on VHS (the one in the red box with the certificate signed by Shatner). These days, I'm just not gonna plunk down $50/season.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
50 bucks a season is more reasonable (not completly, mind you - but getting there). Pity that I only have one more set to purchase until the series is dead to me - the animated series. Everything made after Star Trek VI I wont touch with a 10 meter cattle prod.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Quote"Not one of these retailers are registering price drops on these sets. SInce I haven't seen any official announcement from TV Shows on DVD, Paramount or Star Trek.com I'm not holding my breath that this is going to be a widespread thing. With Warner Brothers, Universal, Sony/MGM all having their sales while promoting their DVD lines I'm thinking that this is Paramount's thing in order to try and snag more profits on their Star Trek DVD sets."

I was in Tower Records in Lincoln Center in New York City today. I saw ST Next Generation sets. Seasons 1,2, and 3 had stickers with a regular selling price of $69.99 .
Seasons 4,5,6, and 7 had stickers with 139.99 as the regular price. There were no signs advertising the new lower prices. They were just in the TV Section of the DVD section mixed together.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
CircuitCity.com is showing $69.99 on DS9 Seasons 1-3 and TNG Seasons 1-3 as of right now so this indeed looks to be a more perminate drop. Perhaps Paramount has realized that they can't charge a PREMIUM price for them and still expect huge sales.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Or maybe they're unloading stock before prepping to release Blu-Ray or HD-DVD versions on only one or two discs per season and start the leeching cycle all over again. :D

I believe the Star Trek series (aside from the original and "Enterprise") can't get "real" hi-def transfers (or at least wouldn't gain anything from them) since I believe they were all mastered on video for effects work or something like that. So the only real benefit of the new formats will be the series taking up less shelf space - which, honestly is a rather attractive proposition considering the huge amount of space the two of these series that I want would entail in the DVD format.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I personally *sarcasm on* can't wait *sarcasm off* for that to start happening with every single one of the shows I have on disc. It will free up some room, sure, but it's going to be the biggest B**** in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks