What's new

Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The success of this show will be driven by people who enjoyed The Next Generation enough to subscribe to CBS AA. Those people want a straight up continuation of the character they followed for seven years on TV, not some alternate history nonsense. The powers that be need to get this message quickly.

I hope the series respects the fans enough to give us a worthy follow up to a fantastic character. I don't want a poorly written series with "dark" themes for the sake of being dark, and edgy. I don't want a series greenlit as a quick cash grab to lure more viewers to CBS AA.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I hope the series respects the fans enough to give us a worthy follow up to a fantastic character. I don't want a poorly written series with "dark" themes for the sake of being dark, and edgy. I don't want a series greenlit as a quick cash grab to lure more viewers to CBS AA.

I bet that is near top of their list of reasons to give this a shot.

I can't image there are many millennials or similar aged folks clambering to see another (or any) Star Trek. This is geared to the aging Trek crowd at this point and hopefully enough are willing to pay the crazy fee CBS wants to stream stuff.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't think Patrick Stewart would have signed on for just a cash grab. He has better things to do with his time, and whatever they're paying him, it can't possibly be the kind of money that it would take to get him to do something he wasn't interested in doing. I think it's particularly encouraging that Michael Chabon is one of the writers for the Picard show - he's a Pulitzer Prize winning author, and his Short Treks segment was pretty great.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't think Patrick Stewart would have signed on for just a cash grab. He has better things to do with his time, and whatever they're paying him, it can't possibly be the kind of money that it would take to get him to do something he wasn't interested in doing. I think it's particularly encouraging that Michael Chabon is one of the writers for the Picard show - he's a Pulitzer Prize winning author, and his Short Treks segment was pretty great.

I agree. Stewart is all business and no nonsense. I think he will have input into what goes on. I also think it’s too bad that Picard’s brother and nephew were killed in the TNG film series and won’t be part of this.

In the TNG Episode “Family” Picard meets his nephew Rene and is told by him that some day he will be a starship captain. It would have been cool if that had happened for Picard to see

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I agree. Stewart is all business and no nonsense. I think he will have input into what goes on. I also think it’s too bad that Picard’s brother and nephew were killed in the TNG film series and won’t be part of this.

In the TNG Episode “Family” Picard meets his nephew Rene and is told by him that some day he will be a starship captain. It would have been cool if that had happened for Picard to see

I completely agree, but Stewart's story sensibilities haven't always been the greatest. It was he who suggested - and got - the infamous dune buggy scene in Star Trek Nemesis.

Killing off Picard's brother and nephew is one of the greatest mistakes ever made in the franchise. The writers of the first TNG film were a bit too trigger happy. I hate senseless deaths in dramatic fiction; it's easy drama and it's pointless.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't really matter if the series doesn't do anything for me. I have been having a blast reading old TNG comics and I have a lot of Star Trek novels to catch up on.

Plus this is happening so a yearly subscription is what I'm going for
http://trekcore.com/blog/2019/01/idw-heads-back-to-classic-star-trek-with-year-five/
IMG_1161.JPG

I'm still bummed out that I had to quit Discovery right when it was getting good.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I hate senseless deaths in dramatic fiction; it's easy drama and it's pointless.

I'm with you. Deaths make sense in books/shows like A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones where brutality is commonplace and deaths are built into the fabric of the narrative. Even on shows like LOST the occasional death makes sense to reinforce the survival theme. However, many shows kills characters simply to create--as you wrote--easy drama.

At least with Picard's case the deaths of Robert and Rene did sort of feed into the greater theme of the movie: the role of death (predator vs companion) and legacy (family legacy, command legacy, franchise legacy--"generations" all). It's a shame it happened, though--the characters were pretty great despite their limited screen time.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm with you. Deaths make sense in books/shows like A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones where brutality is commonplace and deaths are built into the fabric of the narrative. Even on shows like LOST the occasional death makes sense to reinforce the survival theme. However, many shows kills characters simply to create--as you wrote--easy drama.

At least with Picard's case the deaths of Robert and Rene did sort of feed into the greater theme of the movie: the role of death (predator vs companion) and legacy (family legacy, command legacy, franchise legacy--"generations" all). It's a shame it happened, though--the characters were pretty great despite their limited screen time.

Same thing happened in TWOK too. They killed Scotty's Nephew Peter Preston ..although that one made slightly more sense given the plot of the film

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Picard's nephew embodied hope for the future in a show about hope for the future. To kill him off (as a child!) was a betrayal of the central theme of the franchise. And, really, they died in a fire? In the 24th century? Come on, even if Chateau Picard didn't have a 24th century sprinkler system, surely the Roombas of the future can shoot water or foam at a fire. I just don't buy it. (Yes, I know Picard's brother didn't like technology and didn't have a replicator. That doesn't mean he's stupid enough to keep safety equipment out of his house.)

Writing movies and TV shows, especially science fiction, is not like writing about real life. Killing off a child is effectively killing hope, and plunging your characters (if they're realistic) into a depression that will take years to work through. (Moore and Braga were pretty young when they wrote this, so I'll chalk it up to their naïveté. )

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I really didn’t like that they killed Picard’s brother and nephew. But I suppose it gave Picard his motivation in the film. I haven’t seen Generations in a very long time. But I remember he was crushed by the news. And I hated that Kirk was killed. Dumb move. All three deaths were dumb!

About the Picard series, my guess based on what I heard Stewart say, that we shouldn’t expect to see the same Picard we know so well, is that there’s a possibility it’s either an alternative universe; or a serious life change has occurred. For Stewart to agree to come back, perhaps an extreme different situation was needed to lure him back.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m guessing that he’s no longer captain of the Enterprise. I’m curious to see if he’s still serving in Starfleet in some capacity or if he’s retired at the start of this show.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Picard's nephew embodied hope for the future in a show about hope for the future. To kill him off (as a child!) was a betrayal of the central theme of the franchise. And, really, they died in a fire? In the 24th century? Come on, even if Chateau Picard didn't have a 24th century sprinkler system, surely the Roombas of the future can shoot water or foam at a fire. I just don't buy it. (Yes, I know Picard's brother didn't like technology and didn't have a replicator. That doesn't mean he's stupid enough to keep safety equipment out of his house.)

Oh don't get me wrong: I totally agree with you. All I'm saying is at least they tried to make the deaths dovetail with the central theme of the movie. It's too bad they chose to do so in disregard to a central theme of the franchise. In some shows they literally just kill characters as though the writers thought, "hmmm, not sure how to make this character sad--let's kill someone they love!" I dislike that.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I really didn’t like that they killed Picard’s brother and nephew. But I suppose it gave Picard his motivation in the film. I haven’t seen Generations in a very long time. But I remember he was crushed by the news. And I hated that Kirk was killed. Dumb move. All three deaths were dumb!

About the Picard series, my guess based on what I heard Stewart say, that we shouldn’t expect to see the same Picard we know so well, is that there’s a possibility it’s either an alternative universe; or a serious life change has occurred. For Stewart to agree to come back, perhaps an extreme different situation was needed to lure him back.
Here's where I make my usual argument that Kirk's death-scene was just right because it wasn't grandiose and melodramatic. Whatever Shatner's real-life proclivities, Kirk didn't care about any of that. He was just an officer doing his job, and all that mattered was protecting people.

And I still say the most Kirkian moment in the entire scene is the one that's easiest to overlook, because it's the sheer lack of drama that makes it work so well -- right after being barely saved from the teetering bridge that almost killed him moments before, he unhesitatingly steps right back into danger because he still has lives to save. He doesn't pause, doesn't wrestle with the decision, he just goes ahead and does what needs to be done, with no regard for his own safety.

And there are few things that could ever sum up James T. Kirk as well as that.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I wonder if Picard will be battling Irumodic Syndrome in this, or is he not old enough yet? How far into the future was the “future” time period in “All Good Things...”?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I wonder if Picard will be battling Irumodic Syndrome in this, or is he not old enough yet? How far into the future was the “future” time period in “All Good Things...”?
The future-flashfowards in “All Good Things...” take place circa 2395, so it’s quite close to the timeframe of this new series (which opens in 2399). That said, if the producers don’t want to go down that same road again (Irumodic syndrome), a quick throwaway line of dialogue would solve that problem pretty handily (“Good thing I started taking that experimental preventative brain-medicine years ago after Q showed me the future!”).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
JoshEH, definitely, Kirk was being Kirk in Generations. I’m not disputing that. I just hated the idea he dies on screen.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just read an article about the new Series which leads me to believe Picard will be of the Same Mindset Spock was in Unification.. The " Im not in Starfleet anymore and what I do is No concern of theirs" Narrative

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks