What's new

Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Last edited:

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Video here of Stewart making the announcement. Series will take place 20 years after Nemesis. Is he is the head of Starfleet or back home running his winery? Only time will tell.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Video here of Stewart making the announcement. Series will take place 20 years after Nemesis. Is he is the head of Starfleet or back home running his winery? Only time will tell.

The two are not mutually exclusive (even in this Century) :cool:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This new show with Stewart never would have happened if STD wasn't so bad.

Maybe the less-than-stellar reception to Discovery and the plummeting box office for JJTrek is showing that the TOS well is finally running dry.

At least this nostalgia fix will take us forward. Maybe they'll even use it to sprinkle some Picard dust on a new crew for a new series at the dawn of the 25th century.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I have my issues with ST: D -- after an opening 3 or 4 episodes that really blew me away, it fell short of even "The Orville" for me -- but I don't think this announcement has anything to do with ST: D.

CBS All Access has a content issue. Compared to Netflix, or Amazon Prime, or Hulu, or Disney's upcoming streaming platform, it just doesn't have enough compelling original content to justify its subscription price. Star Trek is the biggest intellectual property that CBS has at its disposal. I wouldn't be surprised to them ramp up to a similar place as the Marvel/Netflix collaboration, where there are 4 to 5 Star Trek series dropping new episodes each year, with seasons around 10-13 episodes each.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not saying another Star Trek show would not have come out if Discovery had been good. I'm saying Patrick Stewart was tapped because STD failed to win over most hardcore ST fans.

If they'd just set Discovery about 50 years after Voyager, where it would have made infinitely more sense, I wonder if would have helped.

Hell, they still could've pulled in someone like Stewart in that timeframe, given the fact that Picard would be about 125 in that time and would finally be old enough to look Patrick Stewart's current age.

But the damn nostalgia fix... and everything we've seen about season 2 indicates that it's going to be Star Trek: The Original Series season 0, just serving to piss off people (like me) who had said "well, this was okay, maybe it'll get better as it gets its feet under it" until It's a Spock like you've never seen! Captain Pike is the new captain! 'Member this? 'Member?

Ugh.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Hogwash. Star Trek generated subscribers for CBS All Access, was critically lauded, and the mandate is to exploit the popularity of this IP for the streamling service. It is because of ST:D’s success that this new JLP show is coming to fruition.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well another show I'll not see for a long time if ever because of this thing being exclusive.
Also I understand that CBS-AA doesnt offer full 5.1 audio.
So that doesn't help if true.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Hogwash. Star Trek generated subscribers for CBS All Access, was critically lauded, and the mandate is to exploit the popularity of this IP for the streamling service. It is because of ST:D’s success that this new JLP show is coming to fruition.
I am happy to disagree on this. There would have been more ST shows regardless. But casting Stewart is a direct result of the failure of STD to engage enough subscribers.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm not saying another Star Trek show would not have come out if Discovery had been good. I'm saying Patrick Stewart was tapped because STD failed to win over most hardcore ST fans.
I think CBS would have been happy to get Patrick Stewart back as Picard regardless of the circumstances, if they could afford him. He's the most iconic face of the franchise for more than one age group that they're trying to hook as subscribers.

Also I understand that CBS-AA doesnt offer full 5.1 audio.
So that doesn't help if true.
While CBS All Access is 2.0 audio, another major strike against the service, presumably a 5.1 mix will be created for international sales. "Star Trek: Discovery" is 2.0 on CBS All Access but 5.1 on Netflix for all of the international territories.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for putting up the video link Lou. I knew it was only a matter of a very short time before someone would put a video of the announcement on YouTube. :). Great times we live in where we can see the big stuff happening at a convention without going there.

I think a lot of people will be really disappointed with the new series. It’s not going to be what is expected or what we are used to seeing. Picard is older and it’s 20 years from Nemesis. I’m not sure they will go the wine vineyard route, but we will see. :)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I am happy to disagree on this. There would have been more ST shows regardless. But casting Stewart is a direct result of the failure of STD to engage enough subscribers.
I don’t want to derail this thread, but you want to say Discovery is a failure. It is not. That All access has subscriber challenges has everything to do with poor offerings overall and cost-to-value ratio, not because Discovery isn’t good enough. Patrick Stewart’s casting in a new ST show (set in the future, post the TNG we’ve seen, thank god) is a very smart move and is a smart move to augment the solid Trek offering (Discovery is, by the limited accounts we have, a popular offering on Netflix).

I am excited to see what they come up with to explore Picard in his later years. I am enormously excited to see this show!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks