What's new

Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart (1 Viewer)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Big difference is TNG didn't kill Picard, making it easy to be brought back. They killed Kirk, rightly or wrongly, and I doubt TPTB are going to invalidate that much Trek history.

That didn't prevent an aging Kirk (Shatner) and an aging Gorn from going after each other in a commercial …

The real obstacle to bringing back the original cast is that several have died. Fifty years will do that to you. :(

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
That didn't prevent an aging Kirk (Shatner) and an aging Gorn from going after each other in a commercial …

The real obstacle to bringing back the original cast is that several have died. Fifty years will do that to you. :(
I never knew about that commercial. Googled it. Funny stuff.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Could not agree more! Someone get in touch with Ira Steven Behr ASAP!

Anyone who wants to see a Netflix DS9 project OR DS9 in HD should really support the DS9 documentary coming later this year. Behr has said the studio is looking at fan response to gauge interest in remastering the show. I'm sure Netflix would too.

https://ds9documentary.com/

I will say again: The Patrick Stewart Star Trek project has me looking forward to Star Trek in a way I haven't since DS9 ended. The possibilities are very appealing.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
3TmCf4Q.jpg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Gates McFadden is tweeting a lot this weekend, as she is in Ticonderoga, NY, visiting the Original Series sets that have been built there. (Lots of cool pictures of her in the captain's chair, Kirk's room, etc.) Anyway, someone suggested they'd like to see her and Marina Sirtis in the new Picard show, and McFadden simply said "Wouldn't that be FUN?"

https://twitter.com/gates_mcfadden/status/1033341514393501698

Also, this week it was announced that Bruce Boxleitner of Babylon 5 fame would replace Brent Spiner as the Vice President on TV's Supergirl. Spiner cited "family obligations" for having to drop out. When someone tweeted that he would be in the new show, Spiner said he couldn't say anything until he was granted immunity.

https://twitter.com/BrentSpiner/status/1033040831060439040

Of course, all this could be much ado about nothing. But I'd be surprised if the other major TNG players don't show up at some point in the Picard program, especially considering how tight the cast has been since the days of the show. If it was 20 years ago and they were making a Shatner-centric show, then yes, I could see the others not necessarily being involved. But Stewart and the others have been great friends for a long time and it makes sense.

As I lament the way Disney is treating its Guardians franchise (a favorite of mine), I very much look forward to the Patrick Stewart renewal of Star Trek.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Data will be in the show, you can count on it. If he looks a little older, it will be explained away somehow(age overhaul to be closer to his friends in appearance?) but he will be back somehow, someway....as will the others. I can't wait to see captain Riker, and his ship(Titan?)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
So I saw the news about this series and the rumor of a khan series as well?

The later should be interesting. I watched a lot of next generation of course when it was originally on. I also saw on the next generation movies and like them for the most part. However I find myself becoming more of a deep space nine and voyager fan. For some reason I am not able to get back into next generation even with the fantastic digital mastering that was completed on a series of years ago. I also have to say how disappointed I am That CBS chose To put discovery on an exclusive platform. For some reason all of my interest in new Star Trek shows for some reason has been diminished.
I have course to watch the original series frequently as well.
I think the cbs all access has kind of killed my interest in new Star Trek. I’m not sure why I feel this way but there it is.

Maybe my feelings will change eventually.

I do hope the next Star Trek film is made.
I’m also exited that something cool may happen next year for the 40th anniversary of the motion picture.

I’m currently watching ds9 with my wife. She hasn’t seen them before. This is probably my 3rd or 4th time through them.

All that to be said maybe my interest has diminished due to my undesired to pay for cbs all access when in the past Star Trek tv series were always free to watch and accessible.
There’s tons of viewing choices and limited time as well.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
But I'd be surprised if the other major TNG players don't show up at some point in the Picard program, especially considering how tight the cast has been since the days of the show. If it was 20 years ago and they were making a Shatner-centric show, then yes, I could see the others not necessarily being involved. But Stewart and the others have been great friends for a long time and it makes sense.
I would imagine they'll appear as often as close friends who are former colleagues appear in our real lives.

That being said, I don't want a nostalgia fest. Let Picard have moved forward, and let the crew of the Enterprise have moved forward as well.

So I saw the news about this series and the rumor of a khan series as well?
If they do a Khan series, I'd love them to eschew the space travel concept all together and tell the story of the Augments and the Eugenics Wars of the 1990s. I'd be really interested in a near-period piece that's also an alternate history series. Especially if they got creative and had the Augments controlling the planet using real world figures of the nineties as intermediaries.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I just don't know what to think about all of this because CBS keeps announcing a new Star Trek series every few weeks or so. I just don't see a TNG related series as the same series that we got in the 80's. Remember, CBS is legally prevented from using designs from the original Star Trek shows and I just have doubts about all of these new Star Trek shows that CBS keeps touting to the fans, trying to get them all excited.

I recall CBS advertising Discovery as being set in the 'prime" universe, when in reality, it actually wasn't.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I just don't know what to think about all of this because CBS keeps announcing a new Star Trek series every few weeks or so.

They do? I've only heard two announcements in three years. Do you have links?

Remember, CBS is legally prevented from using designs from the original Star Trek shows and I just have doubts about all of these new Star Trek shows that CBS keeps touting to the fans, trying to get them all excited.

Actually, Paramount had limits on what it could bring into movies from the TV shows, and CBS had limits on what it could bring into TV from movies.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
They do? I've only heard two announcements in three years. Do you have links?

My admittedly unresearched list shows the ongoing Discovery, the limited series Short Treks and then the Picard series. If there's more, I missed the information. Short Treks even has a rough premiere timeline (December 2018, again IIRC) while the Picard series doesn't.

I am looking forward to November 13 when Discovery S1 hits Blu-ray. I'm going to have a few friends over and we'll probably binge the series over two weekends.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Stewart posted the first photo from the writer's room today:
patrickstewart-picardseries-writersroom.png

• Nobody knows Jean-Luc Picard better than Patrick Stewart.
  • Michael Chabon is a pretty big get; he won the Pulitzer.
  • James Duff created "The Closer" and "Major Crimes" for TNT, and served as showrunner on both series from 2005 straight through to earlier this year.
  • Kirsten Beyer has spent most of her career writing novelizations and spinoff novels for established franchises, but she wrote the eight episode of "Discovery" Season 1.
  • This is Diandra Pendleton-Thompson's first staff gig as a writer. She was the writer's assistant for the upcoming third season of "Stranger Things".
  • Akiva Goldsman is the source of my deepest doubts about this project.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Of course they’re Star Trek.

I completely understand they’re not to everyone’s taste and that’s fine. Discovery, for instance, isn’t often to my taste.

But they’re still Star Trek.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks