What's new

Spies Like Us---Pan and Scan Only!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I know this title was released about 3 years ago, but dammnit we need a petiton to get this film released in its OAR. Warner really dropped the ball on this one!!!!!
{sarcasm off}
With this whole Pan and Scan issue with Warner does anyone else think it is kind of strange everyone is making an uproar over two family titles but nary a person is saying a word about earlier Warner releases such as Spies Like Us, Vacation, Frantic etc.
As a matter of fact I don't remember anyone starting petitons when these titles came out in P&S, nor any of the MGM titles, nor any of the CTS titles, nor any of the Paramount titles that have been released in the same manner.
Why the sudden bashing of Warner right now, when the same amount of bashing could have been laid on them before not to mention every other studio I mentioned.
I have come to this conclusion on the matter: This forum likes to always have a current whipping boy to reference to in posts, criticisms, and comparisons. Is this good or bad? I am not really sure, but if it does yield results, I can't complain too much other than the fact constant criticism in non-related posts does get a bit tiredsome.
J
------------------
Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl!

Brett Cameron

Stunt Coordinator
Add titles such as My Blue Heaven, Doc Hollywood, and Ace Ventura etc. which are Warner dvds that need to be released in widescreen.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
When Spies Like Us was released there was still some uncertainty about what the new format's market would be. Quite a few pan and scan/fullscreen titles were released by the few studios in on the ground floor as many assumed those entering the market would be coming from VHS and expect P&S.
When it became clear that DVD's early adopters wanted the film to be presented in its theatrical aspect ratio at the very least, Warner began to release widescreen titles quite regularly (and were one of the biggest supporters of anamorphic enhancement, along with Columbia TriStar).
Now that widescreen has become the defacto standard on DVD, it's somewhat annoying that Warner have decided to take a step backwards and produce only pan and scan versions of their newer titles when it's clearly possible for them to produce shiny new widescreen releases.
Any studio that releases a title in pan and scan only is likely to feel the heat from enthusiasts, and Warner Brothers certainly aren't being unfairly targeted in this respect.
However, you're quite right that the forum likes to have a whipping boy. In recent memory MGM, Universal, Paramount and Fox have received this sort of treatment.
Adam

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I gave them a free pass on this one as they claimed at the time that there is no widescreen print to work from on this title.
I bought it, my only P&S title I believe.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I believe that those are all Open Matte anyway, rather than P&S. So you have extra material ruining the framing, but at least you don't have that god awful sliding and cutting of the shot.
And it was back when such things could be shoved out the door. Remember Caddyshack had the same thing happen, which is why everyone rejoiced when the W/S version came out. The framing is a tad different on the sides as well, but it's still basically just a matted version of what was already out.
I want the OAR too, but a studio trying to slip it in now (especially to the point of obviously hiding the fact) is not the same as it was to release such stuff in 97 and early 98 especially.
Animal House is another that comes to mind as an early rerelease as widescreen.
As for me, I have Fletch, Vacation, Happy Gilmore among others that are Full Frame. I can't wait to swap them for OAR versions, but for now they are in my collection as REALLY DURABLE VHS. :)
In 97 you could believe a studio being unsure about how to handle DVD releases. Nowadays there is no reason to misunderstand the importance of OAR with DVD.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Other titles that I would pick up if done OAR:
Fearless
Clean and Sober
Running on Empty
Innocent Blood
Man With Two Brains, The
Candidate, The
Star 80
Postman Always Rings Twice, The

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
This forum likes to always have a current whipping boy to reference to in posts, criticisms, and comparisons.
Justin,
Are you volunteering for the position?
wink.gif
laugh.gif

MGM has mostly been the forum whipping boy, but WB (MGM must send them a Christmas card this year
tongue.gif
) has moved into the current spot with Wonka methinks. I do think that the "new format" argument mentioned earlier has some merit. However, it probly should be noted that I picked up one of the titles mentioned (Innocent Blood), got it home and discovered it was not OAR, yet did not return ship it back simply because I had paid so little for it ($9.99 methinks) and it would've been a pain to return it. I guess if you're gonna offer a MAR version at least keep it cheap.
wink.gif

I think that the furor has to be from that fact that Wonka was on alot of people's to buy list (mine included) and was supposed to be OAR/full frame. When it was found to be full frame only is when the fit hit the shan.
------------------
Dear WB : Release Wonka in Widescreen!
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
As for me, I have Fletch, Vacation, Happy Gilmore among others that are Full Frame. I can't wait to swap them for OAR versions, but for now they are in my collection as REALLY DURABLE VHS.
Uh, Seth, Fletch is a Universal title, and the existing DVD is anamorphic widescreen.
M.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
In general, if a film is a budget line title that is not marketed as a special edition and was never reported to be in widescreen , noone starts a petition. If it is a major new release and/or billed as a special edition, people get more rankled.
The three things that send people over the edge tend to be releasing a recent theatrical success P&S only (Cats & Dogs), hearing that it was in widescreen from a reliable source (e.g. disc producer) and then it is not (Wonka) or knowing that a widescreen transfer exists that was not used (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang).
There is no petition I am aware of for widescreen releases of the recent Pokemon theatrical features.
I don't necessarily believe that the approach outlined above makes sense. It is merely my observation. Personally, I would love to have widescreen copies of The Witches and The Man with Two Brains.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Another interesting thing is that some titles have widescreen releases in other regions
Vacation is OAR in region 4...
Death Becomes Her 16:9
Fierce Creatures 16:9
Driving Miss Daisy
all OAR in region 4 (I have a friend that moved to Australia)
So i wont take not having a master as an excuse
It seems that we here in America are the main country that can't be trusted with widescreen - around the world they are trusted to learn about it.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Chariots of Fire is a movie that definitely should be re-visited. This movie was the Acadmey Award winner for best picture in 1982 and should get the respect it deserves.
I am not sure if this or any other movie will be re-released in OAR, but at least we have been heard and, hopefully, WB and other studios will not take the OAR enthusisasts for granted in the future.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Tell Warner Bros. on October 2! I have most of Chevy Chase's DVDs, some of them even autographed by Mr. Chase, but I would give almost anything to replace them with widescreen. I'll go for the R2 on Vacation, but National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (of course as well as the first one) is just crying for a Special Edition! That movie is awfully popular. Each year around December it's one of the biggest VHS sellers. NBC has shown it several times - the last time they did, it was in the Nielsen Top 10 for that week.
Chevy Chase fans sure have been ripped off when it comes to DVD. Spies Like Us, Funny Farm, Caddyshack II (I'll admit, this is one of the last titles that should be released, but please, Warner, one day....), Nothing But Trouble, and the four Vacations. Thank God for Fletch and Caddyshack!
You betcha I know what I'll be asking Warner Bros on October 2 :)

Yeh, that would be great. Spies like us, Fearless, and the Vacation movies (namely the original and Xmas vacation) in widescreen would be excellent.
------------------
Dai miei incubi e nei miei sogni -
Un' Esistenza Rovinata...

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I would say no. As I am fairly certain these double features are simply ports of existing transfers onto a double-sided disc or some such.

However, a HTF chat with Warner Bros. is coming up rather soon, so if someone plans on attending it it would be a good time to ask where an OAR version is already!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I got the R4 Innocent Blood, OAR annie WS, looks GREAT and is a longer cut than the american release! More shots in the sex scene! Woo hoo!

It is PAL though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks