What's new

Spies Like Us---Pan and Scan Only!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
FINAL ANALYSIS IS ANOTHER TITLE THAT NEEDS REVISITING BY WB, I'M STILL HANGING ONTO MY WS LASER UNTIL THEN.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I just watched Spies Like Us for the first time in years. Great movie, but I am so surprised that Warner hasn't jumped at the chance to update this classic. Not only is it P&S, but it looks awful. There were scratches all over the print.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Spies Like Us & Nothing But Trouble on a double bill?? Is there some kind of master list at Warner about double-packing movies? I had a VHS last century that had those two pictures on it (bought it for Spies, hated the other). Aren't there dozens of other (and better) flicks that either movie could have been packed with?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Mark Oates said:
Spies Like Us & Nothing But Trouble on a double bill?? Is there some kind of master list at Warner about double-packing movies? I had a VHS last century that had those two pictures on it (bought it for Spies, hated the other). Aren't there dozens of other (and better) flicks that either movie could have been packed with?
Yes. Nothing But Trouble is ridiculously bad, but if I run across it on TV, I do find it hard to look away. On the other hand, I really like Spies Like Us and it deserves an OAR release.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Ron Reda said:
I just watched Spies Like Us for the first time in years. Great movie, but I am so surprised that Warner hasn't jumped at the chance to update this classic. Not only is it P&S, but it looks awful.
Full-frame ISN'T the same as P&S. SPIES LIKE US isn't like BEN-HUR in terms of how it was shot. The whole theatrical frame IS there, along with an unnecessary inch or two you could easily mask off if it bothered you too much. BEN-HUR, on the other hand, is a classic example of "Pan and Scan".
That said you're right, the print is in rough shape, and those of us with 16:9 sets could use a properly formatted version to take advantage of the widescreen framing :)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Mike_Richardson said:
Full-frame ISN'T the same as P&S. SPIES LIKE US isn't like BEN-HUR in terms of how it was shot. The whole theatrical frame IS there, along with an unnecessary inch or two you could easily mask off if it bothered you too much. BEN-HUR, on the other hand, is a classic example of "Pan and Scan".
That said you're right, the print is in rough shape, and those of us with 16:9 sets could use a properly formatted version to take advantage of the widescreen framing :)
Mike,
I stand corrected...I mis-typed it as P&S. My bad!
When I see "A Few Good Men" on TV it reminds me of one of the WORST examples of P&S. Ugh...

Brad M

Second Unit
Okay, here we are at the end of June and those of us wanting a new version of Spies Like Us are more than aware of the last two chats with WB that say this title is on the way. Anyone heard a single thing at all this year? Should we expect to hear news soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks