Shouldn't other HT forums promote OAR?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Conklin, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I am putting this in the After Hours Lounge because I don't think it belongs anywhere else as it is not beneficial to the Hobby. It is just a rant and maybe a useless post, but I am somewhat discouraged.
    I belong to this "other" HT forum called *** Home Theater ****(shall remain nameless)[not HTT ,DTF or AVS].
    I posted this:
    "Hey all,
    I wanted to start a thread to educate the new members/members on the importance of OAR(Original Aspect Ratio). First the facts:
    1. Pan and Scan(non OAR Full Frame) chops up and modifies films in order to fit your 4:3 TV.
    2. OAR preserves the original scope ratio presentation of the film.
    3. OAR enthusiasts and film enthusiasts are dedicated to the preservation of OAR on DVD releases.
    4. There are many DVD releases that have been ruined by P&S, because they are not available in the correct OAR, some examples include, all the "Vacation" movies, Spies Like Us, Funny Farm, Doc Hollywood, and many more fine films that deserve OAR releases.
    I don't want to make this a long post, so I would like the Veteran HT, Film, movie enthusiasts to please add your remarks to further educate our members on why OAR is important to the DVD, HT enthusiast".
    A moderator posted this in response:
    "I own a widescreen TV, so naturally I prefer OAR DVDs. However, I can sympathize for anyone with a smaller 4:3 TV. My parents have a 25" 4:3 TV and watching a letterboxed movie from 8 feet away results in a pretty small image size. So pan-and-scan works better for them. Eventually widescreen TVs will dominate the market and everyone will want OAR".[end]
    ================================================== ==
    [rant]It's no wonder there are still P&S only DVD releases available.
    Shouldn't it be a HT forums mission to promote OAR and discourage P&S only DVD releases?
    I basically made it clear I was referring to P&S only DVD releases, I mean I'm pissed off I can't buy any of the Vacation movies and many others on DVD in the OAR![/rant]
    Isn't it fair to say that if a person is going to buy a DVD player, they should also get a TV capable of OAR presentation or at least plan to.And I dont mean spending $1000 on a big TV, in most cases 27" will enable acceptable viewing of OAR.
    VHS is still available to the people who want their screens filled!
    I have a 31" 4:3 TV in my HT room, and am VERY pro OAR, so it's not like I'm pushing my elitist views because I own a widescreen!
    I just think P&S only DVD releases are unacceptable! I am willing to compromise with P&S people, I just want to have a OAR DVD release available to me and other HT enthusiasts! I have no problem with dual releases, 2 sided DVD's, etc.
    Am I wrong?
    Should I bother trying to argue the point or just let it be?
    Or am I being silly? :b

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

3. Sean Conklin

Hi Adil, nice to see you again[​IMG]

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

This is a tricky one, Sean. We get people who sign up here and immediately start complaining about how the site is run or how we're too strict, or how silly we are for being pro-OAR (to the extent of having a mission-statement on the subject). I'm not sure it's wise to go to another site and start suggesting how they 'should' be doing things. It certainly wont work here [​IMG]

5. Sean Conklin

Your right Rob,

Normally I am not a person to rock the boat, but as a Pro OAR person I feel people need to know! I didn't just sign up there and I'm not new there, and would never tell any site how to run their forum. I NEVER complain how a site is run, NEVER!

So I probably won't say anything.

But OAR IS the only right way obviously, so why shouldn't we try to educate? Even if the "moderator" needs to be coaxed.

Maybe I overreacted to his response, and should leave him alone.

But dammit I want my DVD's in OAR! At least I can take comfort knowing we are Pro OAR here!

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

"When in Rome..." [​IMG]
    Looks like that site is a place where you can state your opinion for all to read--but not to point a cybermirror back at their faces. No admin here would ever make a case for P&S "working" for someone in his or her autumn years and who is stuck with a 25-inch 4:3 display. Ergo, you come here for comfort.
    For your own blood pressure's sake, stick with us and HTT. [​IMG]

7. Sean Conklin

Jack, actually I rarely stray from the HTF or HTT, Occasionally I check in at "the forum in question".Even though I've been a member there for a little while I feel out of place there, here at HTF I feel like I'm at home!

I only go there once in a great while, but I do not know why, HTF has everything I need! I do like HTT and Digital Theater forum though, but spend 99% of my time right here!

Like I said, the HTF rules!!

8. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Well, if you talk in absolutes you're bound to get a nasty response. Like most people here, I always prefer a widescreen/anamorphic picture on my projector. However, I completely understand why others wouldn't. I don't think any forum should take it upon itself to only promote a certain technology/philosophy/ideology. Forums are about the free exchange of ideas. Burger King put it best: Have it your way.... [​IMG]

9. Sean Conklin

Don, if P&S ONLY releases were non existant, then yes I would easily be able to look the other way on P&S, because as long as all DVD's were available in OAR, and P&S for all I care, then I wouldn't bother at all, then I could have the "Have it your way attitude"

10. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Your points are valid and I've got a crappy copy of Willy Wonka that proves it. However, as a pragmatist I understand why things are the way that they are. When more people have 16:9 sets, more releases will be in 16:9.

If I am Joe Six Pack, and not an AV enthusiast, I would probably want to have the entire area of my screen used. Kudos to people for encouraging more widescreen releases. But it's silly to say that widescreen is best for everyone all of the time under every situation.

11. Sean Conklin

Don, So your saying I'm being silly?[​IMG]
    Seriously it is NOT silly to want OAR releases on all DVD's.
    If worse came to worse, include a P&S version on the other side or dual release, or double disc thats all!
    OAR does not work for everyone, especially those with 13" or 19" TV's(again in most cases, not all).
    Well then, the 19 inchers should invest in a proper display device to indulge in the DVD format, otherwise if they are not interested in the display/display quality, then why would they buy a DVD player?
    If they want to stick to a display unit that does not play the majority of DVD's in Full Screen(most DVD's are in OAR), then why don't they just stick to their VCR's and fill that little TV screen?
    Again, when it comes to the DVD format, the masses need to be educated!

12. Sean Conklin

13. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Well honestly that is rather near-sighted. There are other benefits to DVDs besides the OAR. Better resolution, bonus material, etc. The majority of people who own TVs in the world, and let's make it clear that these TVs are 4:3, probably like having access to this material and quality. To force an inferior product on them simply b/c their TV is one of the millions made pre-1996 is as equally bad as forcing people like you to watch PS movies. The difference being that those people outnumber people like you (and me) by a huge margin.

I do, however, agree with you that the studios should include both types of releases on each DVD. The only reason they choose not to is b/c of money .. the same reason that DVD-18s are basically non-existant.

The bottom line Sean is that I agree with you. I just don't feel there is an ideological point to the debate. It's purely supply and demand economics.

14. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill

15. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    YES Sean, preach on my OAR brother!!
    Sean you are NOT being silly! I hate pan n puke so f***ing much that it actually makes me hostile sometimes! Like last week when Fox showed 'EP I' all mutilated beyond recognition, I swear to you that I was ready to deck anyone who said anything to defent that travesty at that point!
    I love this site so much because i'm among my kind and the people here will understand. In fact, the only thing that bothers me here is the apparent lack of interest in something that could really help us. Case in point, their is a thread in the 'Studio and Manufacturer's feedback' area entitled 'To ALL STUDIO'S, we will not tolerate P&S only!' I am very disappointed that that thread has not gotten the support it deserves! Why? Maybe people think that it won't work, or that it's silly, but dammit, at least try, the studio's will see that thread.
    All i'm saying is that I feel that whenever someone tries to rally support here on an important topic like this, he/she is pretty much ignored. That thread has a lot of hits, but they won't get it done, we need posts!

16. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

OAR snob. [​IMG]

17. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    And damn proud of it too![​IMG]

18. Sean Conklin

Thank you John for your support! John "the OAR snob" rules!
    I think everyone(hopefully) on this forum knows that P&S ONLY on DVD is unacceptable PERIOD!

19. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Sean, I have a very morbid curiosity sometimes, and I merely turned it on for a few minuets to see what was done to it, kinda like when you drive by an accident scene, you always want to stop to get a look at someone all messed up![​IMG]

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Re: OAR

Follow the money.