What's new

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It took a long time since Surf's Up but Sony Animation finally managed to make a film that is unique and sets them apart from Disney animation, Pixar, and Dreamworks Animation. Visually, the film is amazing to watch and is the closest to looking like the actual source material that it is based on. The story is good too, although the flow of it sometimes made it slightly hard to follow.

The animation was generally very good; although, there were some janky looking areas, especially in fast-paced scenes. There were times where the animation looked like it was dropping frames when characters were running. The effect felt like a still camera with a timer set to snap every few milliseconds or so. However, considering the number of different techniques used in the film, the effect could have been a stylistic choice to depict the superhero speed of the characters as compared to their normal selves.

I saw the film in RealD. While the 3D effect was good, many times the film looked like the images were misaligned causing close up foreground characters to have a sort of "double-image" around outside edges. It had the effect of "softening" the images and at times made the film look "blurry". I don't know if that was due to the "half-tone dot matrix" effect interfering with the 3D processing or if it was due to deficient calibration of the theatre equipment. I kind of lean toward the latter explanation as Cineplex is a shitty company that cares little for properly maintaining the theatre equipment in the small-market theatres that they own.

There were a lot of references to other Spiderman films and comics. Some of which I caught, but a lot of which passed over my head I am sure, since I never really read many of the Spiderman comics. One reference that I missed, until today, was to Apocalypse Now with the bedroom scene involving Peter B. Parker. The scene becomes funnier in hind-sight once I realized what was being referenced.

in my book, this film is in the #1 spot when it comes to films using Spiderman. The scene at the very end of the credits was a laugh too.

Edit: If it manages to make enough money, I would like to the next one focus on either Noir Spiderman, Gwen or Peni in that order.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I saw the film in RealD. While the 3D effect was good, many times the film looked like the images were misaligned causing close up foreground characters to have a sort of "double-image" around outside edges. It had the effect of "softening" the images and at times made the film look "blurry". I don't know if that was due to the "half-tone dot matrix" effect interfering with the 3D processing or if it was due to deficient calibration of the theatre equipment. I kind of lean toward the latter explanation as Cineplex is a shitty company that cares little for properly maintaining the theatre equipment in the small-market theatres that they own.
It’s the former. 100% intentional as I unfortunately found out.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It’s the former. 100% intentional as I unfortunately found out.

Where did you find that out? I would like to take a look. It is too bad if that was the case because the 3D was generally good. To have it degraded by a dumb decision is unfortunate. I guess it won't really matter for the home release since I doubt there will be a 3D version put out. The 2D clips I have been looking at on the net do not seem to suffer from the effect. I'll have to try to see the film in 2D before it leaves the theatre here and see if the sharpness problem goes away.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Where did you find that out? I would like to take a look. It is too bad if that was the case because the 3D was generally good. To have it degraded by a dumb decision is unfortunate. I guess it won't really matter for the home release since I doubt there will be a 3D version put out. The 2D clips I have been looking at on the net do not seem to suffer from the effect. I'll have to try to see the film in 2D before it leaves the theatre here and see if the sharpness problem goes away.
It’s in the 2D version too. I saw both. Go back a few pages in this thread to when it first opened and you’ll see the posts describing and explaining the issue.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So it appears that the "bleed over" past the outlines was a deliberate choice. I guess the intention was to replicate the printing effect that often resulted from using offset printing on cheap newsprint. It is unfortunate if they chose to do that as that is really a printing error due to use of poor quality materials. No comic book publisher probably ever wanted the image to look poor in quality. It was just economic conditions that made poor quality reproduction a part of the comics industry.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I do have to wonder if Sony had trouble figuring who this film was aimed at? The trailers at the start of the film were kind of a jumbled mess aimed at disparate demographics. In my viewing the trailers were for:

Bumblebee: a sci/fi action film
A Dog's Way Home: a "drama"/adventure film.
Overcomer: One of those religious films that Sony has been producing for the Christian market.

The only one that looked remotely watchable was "Bumblebee".

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I saw in both 2D and IMAX 3-D. Honestly, I didn't think the 3-D really added all that much. Aquaman's 3-D on the other hand, was stunning.

The animation is what it is. There's some pretty groundbreaking stuff there if you take away the intentional "comic book" look. If I hadn't loved the film so much, I'm sure I'd be bitching about it.

There were a lot of references to other Spiderman films and comics. Some of which I caught, but a lot of which passed over my head I am sure, since I never really read many of the Spiderman comics. One reference that I missed, until today, was to Apocalypse Now with the bedroom scene involving Peter B. Parker. The scene becomes funnier in hind-sight once I realized what was being referenced.
I didn't catch that one either...that IS funny now that I think about it.

In my book, this film is in the #1 spot when it comes to films using Spiderman. The scene at the very end of the credits was a laugh too.
I'm probably still leaning towards Spider-Man 2, but this would be a close 2nd.

Edit: If it manages to make enough money, I would like to the next one focus on either Noir Spiderman, Gwen or Peni in that order.
I think I read where they've already announced that the 2nd one will be a Gwen story.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I think I read where they've already announced that the 2nd one will be a Gwen story.

I read that they are doing a female-centric spinoff focusing on Gwen and other female “spider-characters”, though I hope a direct sequel to Spider-Verse lead by Miles can find a way to use her as well.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Saw Spider-Verse last night (in RealD). Of the few movies I saw this year, Spider-Man is the best. It’s easily the best superhero movie of the year. I thought it was spectacular, an exquisite movie experience, up there with Children of Men, Gravity, and Inside Out. It reminded me of Toy Story in 1994, seeing a new form to tell animated stories.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Spider-Man is the best superhero movie of the year, possibly the past five or more.

It introduces a new visual style, fulfilling the promise of Ang Lee’s Hulk disaster. It is wildly creative and inventive as Disney and Pixar haven’t been in years.

It has some of the best sonic design since Inception.

This was the purest emotional movie experience I’ve had since Inside Out.

It is not a deep story. It’s ultimately a conventional linear origin story. But it is a tight story. ‘Verse succeeds in areas that MCU staggers and stumbles: a compelling villain; strong characters; doesn’t get lost in myriad half-baked side stories; it’s not honed by committee to be safely and unsurprisingly like the 20 movies before it.

This is not to be seen solely on a small screen from the couch. It’s meant for the big screen. The climax is a magnificent, roaring kinetic spectacle.

Maybe I’m weird. I’m chasing that sense of being 10 years old and being blown away by a new experience. I want to have my brain rewired by a movie like could happen in my 20s. That’s very rare now. Spider-Man gave me that bliss and I love it for it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Also, the 3D ranges from unobtrusive to subtle perfection. I’m not a 3D viewer much these days, but I really enjoyed SpiderVerse in RealD. :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
t reminded me of Toy Story in 1994, seeing a new form to tell animated stories.

[Disney nerd] Toy Story was actually not released until 1995. The Lion King was 1994. [/Disney nerd]

Sorry, I just had to point this out.

That being said, your larger point still stands. It is definitely refreshing to see a studio take a big swing on something like this that looks different and unique, even if I don't think all of it worked to the degree that they wanted.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My buddy just got A-List and wanted to see this so I went last night and saw it a second time, in RealD 3D. Tons of fun a second time , gives you room to really scan the film and look for little details.

There was nothing blurry about the backgrounds that I could see. There was limited camera bokeh effect, so maybe that's what you saw in your 3d showing @TonyD

It looked brilliant to me, and the halftoning wasn't a problem at all with the 3d effect. So I get that it bothered some of you but it's all intentional and phenomenally successfully done.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So I get that it bothered some of you but it's all intentional and phenomenally successfully done.
Intentional yes. Successfully done I disagree. It ( the blurry, yes blurry backgrounds) was very distracting to me and took me out of the film when I noticed it. Which was often.

But still an amazing film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw this film today. It was pretty good, but a little long for me. The blurry stuff bother me some, but I got used to it. One thing that confused me is the main character's real name is Miles Morales, yet his dad's last name is Davis. Did I miss a plot point?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks