What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Miles Morales returns in Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, a thrilling sequel to 2018’s Oscar winner for Best Animated Feature.

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023)

Released: 02 Jun 2023
Rated: PG
Runtime: 140 min

Director: Joaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers, Justin K. Thompson
Genre: Animation, Action, Adventure

Cast: Shameik Moore, Hailee Steinfeld, Brian Tyree Henry
Writer(s): Phil Lord, Christopher Miller, Dave Callaham

Plot: Miles Morales catapults across the Multiverse, where he encounters a team of Spider-People charged with protecting its very existence. When the heroes clash on how to handle a new threat, Miles must redefine what it means to be a ...

IMDB rating: 8.9
MetaScore: 86

Disc Information...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Colin

Owner
Real Name
Colin
Awesome review. We have the first one on UHD. I can’t wait to watch this second installment with my kids.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Not a comment on this particular movie (which I'm looking forward to seeing), but am I the only one hoping that Hollywood will soon get this whole "multiverse" thing out of their systems?

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
Loved this film. Saw it multiple times in the theatre. I find the storytelling and the visuals endlessly compelling. This and THE BLUE CAFTAN really have been my favorite films so far this year!

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
It's a great film, and I say that as someone who is largely burnt-out on superhero and "multiverse" movies.

Unfortunately, my disc arrived damaged and would not read past the first layer change in two different drives.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Unfortunately, my disc arrived damaged and would not read past the first layer change in two different drives.
I would try to exchange that for a replacement. Mine plays fine (although I have the Blu-ray+DVD, not the 4K edition.)

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I would try to exchange that for a replacement. Mine plays fine (although I have the Blu-ray+DVD, not the 4K edition.)
Yes, Amazon already shipped a replacement, no-questions asked. This is the second triple layer disc I’ve received with defects at a layer change. Unfortunately, I did not catch the first one (For a Few Dollars More) until the return window had expired.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Not a comment on this particular movie (which I'm looking forward to seeing), but am I the only one hoping that Hollywood will soon get this whole "multiverse" thing out of their systems?

I think it's like any idea they latch onto. The idea itself might be pretty good, but then it's just run completely into the ground by a lack of creativity.

That said, "lack of creativity" is not a problem for the SPIDER-VERSE movies. :) I'm much more tolerant of overused concepts when they're used not as a crutch but as a springboard to explore genuinely interesting characters and ideas.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I think it's like any idea they latch onto. The idea itself might be pretty good, but then it's just run completely into the ground by a lack of creativity.

That said, "lack of creativity" is not a problem for the SPIDER-VERSE movies. :) I'm much more tolerant of overused concepts when they're used not as a crutch but as a springboard to explore genuinely interesting characters and ideas.
Agreed. Interestingly, Lord and Miller were hired to make The Flash back in 2015 before Andy Muschietti took over the project. On a superficial level, the plot of The Flash shares a lot in common with the Spider-Verse movies, but the gulf in execution between the two illustrates your point quite nicely, IMO.

The Spider-Verse films would be remarkable for their visual design alone. The writing elevates them even further, with well-defined characters, emotional stakes, and plotting that uses the "multiverse" to cleverly question so many stale genre tropes. If they have a flaw, it's that they're almost too frenetically caught-up in their own inventiveness.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks