What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sony brings the third MCU Spider-Man movie, the box office phenomenon Spider-Man: No Way Home, to 4K UHD Blu-ray featuring a solid presentation.

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

Released: 17 Dec 2021
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 148 min

Director: Jon Watts
Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy

Cast: Tom Holland, Zendaya, Benedict Cumberbatch
Writer(s): Chris McKenna, Erik Sommers, Stan Lee

Plot: With Spider-Man's identity now revealed, Peter asks Doctor Strange for help. When a spell goes wrong, dangerous foes from other worlds start to appear, forcing Peter to discover what it truly means to be Spider-Man.

IMDB rating: 8.5
MetaScore: 71

Disc Information

Studio: Sony
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution:...

Continue reading...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review, Todd. I've got the Walmart release with the alternate slipcover on its way to me now.

Are we sure it was a 2K digital intermediate? I know that's the case with most Marvel Studios productions, but Forbes has reported that the digital intermediate for this was finished at 4K. I've seen conflicting information elsewhere.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
To be fair, IMDB isn't always a reliable source of accurate info either. And, thanks for the review. My wife and I watched the 4K disc in DV/Atmos last night and I thought it was a noticeable improvement over the stream. The Best Buy steelbook looks great as well. Easily one of the best I've seen.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Sony's Bravia Core streaming service ( full 4k quality over high-speed internet connections ) offers this on select Sony TVs such as my A90J ; it's the full IMAX ratio throughout with DTS "Imax-Enhanced" sound. Quality is stunning, but I also picked-up the 4K Steelbook because I wanted the ATMOS mix.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I watched the UHD on Monday (my copy came about a week early).

I thought the Atmos was quite good, but not as good as Far From Home, and not as good as my memory of the theatrical exhibition. In particular, the "Peter Tingle" scene with Green Goblin in Happy's condo was less impressive than in the theatre. I also don't think the Atmos track had a lot of dynamic objects (I assume they cheated the dynamic objects like most discs do these days).

That said, the Atmos track is still really entertaining.

The video was really good, too, allowing for the fact that there are a lot of intentionally dim scenes. No black crush or loss of shadow detail. The post-battle scene at the end with the sun just rising looked gorgeous. The early battle with Electro was quite...illuminating.

markonesmile

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
It's funny how the extras are described as nice. Considering, as is the practice today, they consist of the usual press kit fluff. Why does everyone go on about how wonderful everyone is, how they are the best team they have ever worked with, how everyone does their own stunts, how everyone was their first choice for the part etc, etc. Enough of this sycophantic back slapping. It is tedious, makes the extras unwatchable to me and clearly isn't true.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
It's funny how the extras are described as nice. Considering, as is the practice today, they consist of the usual press kit fluff. Why does everyone go on about how wonderful everyone is, how they are the best team they have ever worked with, how everyone does their own stunts, how everyone was their first choice for the part etc, etc. Enough of this sycophantic back slapping. It is tedious, makes the extras unwatchable to me and clearly isn't true.
That's pretty much the course for all Disney product. They still won't even make The Sweatbox widely available and that was 25 years ago and pretty much everyone loves Emperor's New Groove at this point.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
While I'm not quite as cynical about it as you seem to be, yeah, this kind of stuff is lazy, boring, mostly irrelevant, and far, far too common.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Just watched half of this and find it much more enjoyable at home rather than the cineplex where I had to first sit thru a 1/2 hour of crappy trailers. The image looks better to me as well.
The story makes more sense viewing the second time around like most of everything it seems nowadays lol.

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'll be interested to spin this disc up, hopefully this weekend. I saw it at Grauman's Chinese in the 1.90 IMAX ratio and thought the framing looked good, there wasn't a lot of unnecessary top/bottom information that I can recall seeing. Curious how it's going to look at 2.35.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks