What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Into the Spider-Verse won Best Animated Feature at the Producers' Guild Awards. That certainly boosts its chances for Oscar. Nominations come out tomorrow, and I expect we will see this nominated for Best Animated Feature.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Into the Spider-Verse won Best Animated Feature at the Producers' Guild Awards. That certainly boosts its chances for Oscar. Nominations come out tomorrow, and I expect we will see this nominated for Best Animated Feature.

Oh, there's a 100% chance it'll be nominated. Question is whether it'll win...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The only two times ever that Pixar has been nominated and lost were 2001-2 (when Shrek beat Monsters, Inc.) and 2006-7 (when Happy Feet beat Cars.) Every other time, Pixar has either been nominated and won, or not been nominated at all (Cars 2, Monsters University, Finding Dory.)

I fully expect Incredibles 2 to receive a nomination, which it absolutely deserves. So Spider-Verse actually has a chance to beat a Pixar movie, which is very rare indeed.

Edwin-S

Senior HTF Member
The Best Animated Film category is a trash award. They might as well give out a gold-plated trash bag for what "Best Animated Feature" is worth. Funny how there was no storm of whining and complaining over the creation of that shit category like there was over the creation of Best Popular Film.

If Pixar gets nominated then Pixar will win because no one actually takes the BAF category seriously. The people who "review" the films don't know a damn thing about animation and couldn't care less. Some of them are so pathetic that they ask their kids how they should vote and others put on a blindfold and throw darts. Of course, that is if they can be bothered to watch the films to begin with and actually vote.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There was already Best Animated Short before animation got a feature category. Why shouldn't there be both? I think it is entirely reasonable to honor animation in its own category.

Everyone in the Academy is eligible to on the winner whether they've seen the films or not, which is how it generally works in all categories. There's no way for the Academy to force the entire membership to watch all the nominated films, but that's also true of the rest of the categories. So yes, some people just vote for the Pixar film, but that's not unlike other categories where they can vote for something without having seen all of the nominees. So the category functions like any other.

The problem is that the creation of the animation category has essentially acted as a deterrent for animation being taken seriously in the Best Picture field, and that has to change.

But I still think there is value in having the category. Some of the nominated films, especially the smaller foreign ones that get in from Gkids, get a moment of mainstream attention when they are nominated that they wouldn't have if the category didn't exist.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Best Animated Film category is a trash award. They might as well give out a gold-plated trash bag for what "Best Animated Feature" is worth.
It's a way to continue to ghettoize animation by keeping it separated from live action movies. They do recognize the movie but still continue to think "It's not a 'real' movie because it's animated." That being said, at least animated movies do get some recognition by there being a Best Animated Feature award because there would be VERY few animated movies that would get any Academy recognition otherwise.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
There is a preorder currently available in Germany. Sony has withdrawn 3D support for the US and UK; their current policy appears to be that only major hits will get a 3D disc, and only in Germany and India.
I have ordered it from Germany. Do you think this upcoming Avenger’s will be available in 3D somewhere? I bought “Thor Ragnoroc” from Britain. I’d like to complete my Avenger collection properly.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Do you think this upcoming Avenger’s will be available in 3D somewhere?

It's way too early to know for sure what Disney is going to do with Endgame's Blu-ray release, as the film hasn't even premiered yet and they won't announce the disc until after that. However, Disney seems to be moving away from 3D support. I could be wrong because I don't want 3D personally, so I don't pay the absolute closest attention, but I don't think Ralph Breaks the Internet is coming out in 3D anywhere, even though it was released theatrically that way. That could be a sign of the times.

Back to Spider-Verse....big congratulations to this film for its continued leggy success at the box office. I don't think anybody was expecting it to spend eight weeks in the top five, but it has done that. The last film to do so was Black Panther. Also, as of right now, Spider-Verse has also outgrossed all of its December release competitors except Aquaman. It has been substantially bigger than Bumblebee and it recently overtook Mary Poppins Returns, which I don't think is something anybody was expecting -- at least, certainly I wasn't. And it has also passed Hotel Transylvania 2 to become Sony Animation's biggest domestic grosser to date in the history of their studio.

Sony made something really good, and fortunately it is connecting with audiences, which is always what you hope will happen but not always what actually does happen. So, good for it.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=animatedspider-man.htm

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This is exactly what I mean when I say that I can recognize that I am not the target audience for Into the Spiderverse and yet still love it for how it expands all of comicdom through honest representation. Blah that's a mouthful of words but I hope you know what I mean.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/t-magazine/miles-morales-spiderman.html
Beyond that, Miles is just a great character that you root for. Marvel rarely creates new characters that actually resonate (in large part because alot of fans automatically reject anything new) but it's nice to see a character that hasn't been around in comics for 40 or 50 years get embraced by the mainstream audience.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Beyond that, Miles is just a great character that you root for. Marvel rarely creates new characters that actually resonate (in large part because alot of fans automatically reject anything new) but it's nice to see a character that hasn't been around in comics for 40 or 50 years get embraced by the mainstream audience.
The beautiful thing about Into the Spider-Verse is that it gives us compelling versions of Miles Morales and Gwen Stacy but it also gives us two different compelling versions of Peter Parker.

The diversity conversation often gets presented as a zero-sum affair: more female characters and characters of color means less white male characters. But Into the Spider-Verse showed that it doesn't have to be that way. You can put characters front and center who never would have headlined a movie like this even twenty years ago, and you still have plenty of room for interesting characters from the traditionally overrepresented demographics.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I really liked this movie. The night I saw it, and maybe it was just me, I felt the pacing was a little off and the final act battle kinda dragged. But whenever the film focused on character moments, I was 100% onboard.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Man, this movie had much longer legs than I ever anticipated! It was still in the top 10 last weekend, the 2nd longest-tenured top 10 film after "Green Book"....

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
There is a preorder currently available in Germany. Sony has withdrawn 3D support for the US and UK; their current policy appears to be that only major hits will get a 3D disc, and only in Germany and India.
I've ordered mine from Germany but have to admit I'm really pissed at this policy of dropping 3D Blu-ray releases of films shown theatrically in 3D. Disney and Sony both don't give a crap about customer satisfaction after pushing 3D for years. It's still a niche market that needs to be respected. Though they aren't producing 3D capable TVs at the moment there are millions of them still out there working well and entertaining folks, as well as 3D capable projectors. I'll take 3D over 4K any day of the week.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads