What's new

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023) (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm listening to the score now to prep for our 7 pm show tonight. I'm not far into it now and I'm not a music critic in any way, but I'm enjoying what I'm hearing. It's energetic, uses various styles and feels wholly unlike any other comic book movie scores (or animated film scores, frankly).

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Next level stuff. The first film was an instant classic, and so is this one. Juggles an incredible number of balls without dropping any. Moving, hysterical, touching, amazing. I hadn’t paid attention to any of the press, so forgot there was a third one on the way. The cliffhanger quickly reminded me. So assured.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
There is not. I think that the film ends in such a way that any scene after the end would have to pick up right from there, and they obviously wanted to leave the cliffhanger exactly where it is and not expand on that more.

And yes - Sony announced that the film was being split in half all the way back on December 4, 2021 when they released a trailer calling this "Across the Spider-Verse Part One." That information has been on record in this thread without spoiler tags for 544 days. Therefore, I don't think we can suddenly start calling it a spoiler. It would be a spoiler to talk about where the film leaves these characters, but everyone involved have been very open that this is part of a larger story.

I thought it was absolutely sensational.

This summer movie season hasn't been great for me so far. Guardians was too grim and The Little Mermaid was misconceived. Across the Spider-Verse is the first blockbuster in a while that has really delivered. It was a thrilling movie experience in every respect.

Exactly my point.

@DaveF
Can I get the spoiler tags taken off my 2 posts.

majorgear

Auditioning
Real Name
Major
it's a pretty bad movie , just for what they did to Peter Parker's character. I wouldn't recommend watching this movie.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
it's a pretty bad movie , just for what they did to Peter Parker's character.

Can you be more specific? I don't see a problem with Peter here.

I just bought a ticket to go back tomorrow. While going back to something I really love is not necessarily unusual for me, it is pretty rare for me to go twice in the same weekend.

This movie is just that special.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Can you be more specific? I don't see a problem with Peter here.

I just bought a ticket to go back tomorrow. While going back to something I really love is not necessarily unusual for me, it is pretty rare for me to go twice in the same weekend.

This movie is just that special.

Looking to do the same myself!

My wife couldn't go with us on Thursday because she had to get up 5am the next day. The last couple of days my sons have been asking her (repeatedly) "when are you seeing it?"

So today I suggested we should all go next Sunday (June 11), after my older son's birthday lunch. Then, as we got talking, I realized Transformers will take over the big screens next weekend. So then I suggested tomorrow (Sunday June 4)!

Haven't bought tickets just yet, but 2 viewings in one weekend is not unheard of for us. We did it for Avengers: Endgame and (I think) Captain Marvel as well.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Film is still resonating with me today.

It may be one of the 5 greatest films of all time. Animated or not.

It’s certainly the greatest -motion- artistic experience I have ever seen.

Same here as well... I'm still thinking about the huge swings the directors and writers went for... and connected!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
2 viewings in one weekend is not unheard of for us. We did it for Avengers: Endgame and (I think) Captain Marvel as well.

The only other films I can remember fitting this description for me were The Dark Knight, Batman v. Superman, and Finding Dory. In all three cases, I had gone to the earliest show available and was going back with friends who hadn't seen it yet. I would not have seen BvS a second time individually but didn't want to ditch my friend. The other two were much better rewatching experiences.

There was also the Chinese film Coming Home, which I loved so much that I stayed to watch it twice in a row back to back on the same day. It was closing the next day, so if I wanted to see it again I didn't have much choice.

2F2D6A43-1350-4436-AF40-18FD58606297_4_5005_c.jpeg

I realized Transformers will take over the big screens next weekend.

This is a big part of my motivation to see it this weekend as well as opposed to waiting longer. I want to have the premium experience again.

One of the handful of inherent negatives about the summer schedule being so packed with new releases is that the premium screens rotate out so quickly. I think Guardians was the last movie to stay on my local premium screens for more than a week. Transformers will also have it for a week before The Flash shows up. Elemental, Pixar's film opening against The Flash, probably won't have access to premium screens at all.

We were just talking about this in the Mission: Impossible thread. That film will have a very short IMAX run because the company is already committed to Oppenheimer taking over those screens.

It is funny that Across the Spider-Verse and Transformers specifically are in such close proximity to each other on the release schedule. The same thing happened last time with Into the Spider-Verse and Bumblebee

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Is this an IMAX movie or can any large screen theater with Dolby Atmos be good enough?

I see no mention of IMAX in its production so not necessary. Unless the IMAX auditorium will project a bigger image than the next biggest screen, and you want the biggest image possible. But there’s nothing specifically IMAX about that - it’s just the same image being projected on a bigger screen.

We saw it on a premium screen with Atmos.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The closest IMAX theater is a 90 minute round trip. The closest Dolby Cinema is double that so I'm not really looking to travel on the Interstate especially with the amount of construction going on now. So, I'll just watch it at the largest theater in my city that has Dolby Atmos.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
$120.5m opening weekend. That’s about $85m higher than (and almost 3.5 times) the original’s opening weekend! Has to be close to a record increase between the original and a sequel?

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I bought the 4th, 5th and 6th tickets for my session, a couple of hours after I posted they were on sale (above).

This matches @Jake Lipson's observation that there's not the same rush to get tickets as for an MCU film.

Now, the first film was fantastic and well-received but its global box office was around $384 million. I'm sure its audience has grown since 2018, though it may be a challenge to approach the level of box office for the MCU Spider-man films (Homecoming is the lowest with $880 million). It'd be great if it did, though! ;)

I’m bringing up this post of mine from earlier in the thread.

Will have to see how the international response is, but given a 120m domestic opening weekend, it could do Homecoming numbers by the end of its run. And if word of mouth is strong, it may even surpass.

Put it this way, we only saw the original once in the cinema. But we’re going back for a 2nd watch today!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks