What's new

Barbie (2023) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
How silly. No Director “deserves” a nomination. They are earned. And Gerwig just didn’t make the cut. There was no “snub”…the most over used misunderstood and misused word during Oscar season.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
How silly. No Director “deserves” a nomination. They are earned.
That's splitting hairs with the language. Call it "deserve" or call it "earn," it's the same point. What Margot Robbie is saying is that she feels Gerwig's work should have earned a nomination that she did not receive. It is not a unique sentiment, nor is it unique to this year or this movie.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What Margot Robbie is saying is that she feels Gerwig's work should have earned a nomination that she did not receive.
Of course she feels that way. If she said whose place she should have taken that would have been more interesting. 🤪

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Of course she feels that way.
She is allowed to feel that way. Her opinions are no more or less valid than any of the Academy voters who voted in the nominees. The nominees are nothing more than the opinions of the voters.

I've seen all of the Best Director nominees except The Zone of Interest. I would not hesitate take out Triet, Scorsese or Lanthimos to put in Gerwig instead, easily.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
She is allowed to feel that way. Her opinions are no more or less valid than any of the Academy voters who voted in the nominees. The nominees are nothing more than the opinions of the voters.
Of course. 100% agree.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Which is why there is no such thing as a snub.
The opinions represented by the awards have value because people in the industry think they do. It can absolutely be seen as a snub if people in the industry think someone should have received a nomination and didn't get one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The opinions represented by the awards have value because people in the industry think they do. It can absolutely be seen as a snub if people in the industry think someone should have received a nomination and didn't get one.
Sorry. I disagree Jake. A “snub” is a deliberate act. Not getting enough votes for a nomination is simple math.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sorry. I disagree Jake.
We can disagree. That's fine.

The larger problem is that Best Picture has ten nominees and Best Director only have five. Until that number is changed, there will always be directors of Best Picture nominees who are not nominated in Best Director. This is why I think the Academy should change the number of Best Director nominees to ten.

This does not mean all the Best Picture nominees should automatically have their directors nominated. The directors branch should still vote independently. If they believe that a director should be nominated who did not make a Best Picture nominee, that's fine. However, given the strong historical correlation between the two categories, I think that the directors branch should have the same number of available nominations as Best Picture to use as the voters see fit.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I would definitely rather see the best picture nominees go back to 5.
I think that's off the table. Personally, I don't see a problem with ten Best Picture nominees because I've never had a problem finding ten great films in a year.

Also, I would prefer Barbie to be acknowledged as one of the best films of the year rather than not. Expanding Director to ten seems more likely and possible.

Even then, if it wasn't the same 10 Directors from the 10 BP's, everyone would still be bitchin' about who was snubbed. ;)
Having ten nominations at least provides the oppertunity for each Best Picture director to be recognized if the branch felt that they should be.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Also, I would prefer Barbie to be acknowledged as one of the best films of the year rather than not
You don't think 8 nominations, third most among all films, is that acknowledgement? Seems pretty high praise to me with a lot of voters selecting it above other films.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Honestly, I don't care enough about the Oscars, LOL.

These award noms are useful enough to help promote good films... but they're generally not any kind of particularly definitive thing to fight over anyway.

I'd probably care more about Roger Ebert's perennial top 10 list for each year than the Oscar noms for BP or whatever else. Too bad Ebert's no longer w/ us.

_Man_

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd probably care more about Roger Ebert's perennial top 10 list for each year than the Oscar noms for BP or whatever else. Too bad Ebert's no longer w/ us.
Not quite the same, probably, but his wife is still running his web site and has posted her list of the Top 10-ish films of 2023.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not quite the same, probably, but his wife is still running his web site and has posted her list of the Top 10-ish films of 2023.

Oh, I wasn't aware. Just didn't bother to check. Guess I'll have a look-see even though I probably don't actually need such at least this year.

Thanks!

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You don't think 8 nominations, third most among all films, is that acknowledgement?
Of course it is.

But I'd still rather have it (or fill in the blank other movie) included as a Best Picture nominee than not included. I don't really think that reducing the number of nominees back to five would accomplish anything aside from making it harder for films to be nominated. Gerwig's snub from the directing category suggests that Barbie would perhaps not have gotten the Best Picture nomination if there were only five nominees, and I think it absolutely deserves to be there.

Generally speaking, I never have a problem finding ten really great movies every year. The Academy shouldn't either.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So you think Gerwig was deliberately excluded from a Best Director nomination?
I think she should have been there in the place of at least three of the directors who were nominated and it was foolish of the Academy to leave her out. It does not matter if they did it deliberately or not.

I thought we settled this earlier.

Sorry. I disagree Jake. A “snub” is a deliberate act. Not getting enough votes for a nomination is simple math.
We can disagree. That's fine.
We simply disagree on this point. My opinions have not changed since I wrote the posts I quoted above. Even if you substitute the word "omission" for the word "snub" in my post that you quoted, my point would still stand.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks