What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Last summer’s winner at the box office, Barbie, arrives on 4K UHD Blu-ray from Warner Bros. Discovery Home Entertainment.

Barbie (2023)

Released: 21 Jul 2023
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 114 min

Director: Greta Gerwig
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy

Cast: Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling, Issa Rae
Writer(s): Greta Gerwig, Noah Baumbach

Plot: Barbie suffers a crisis that leads her to question her world and her existence.

IMDB rating: 7.1
MetaScore: 80

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.00:1
Audio: Dolby Atmos, English 5.1 DD, English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, English Descriptive Audio, Spanish 5.1 DD...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the review. I was hoping for some great / insightful special features. I didn’t love Barbie, but I’m interested in rewatching and would be more inclined to buy the disc if it had great bonus material.

Real Name
Rolf Skrinde
The bonus material is only about 47 minutes in total and is of the stereotypical EPK variety. Could have been much more involving but still enjoyable. The film itself remains tightly constructed and highly entertaining. The cast is perfect. The wry wit, terrific score and full-blown musical numbers add considerably to the value of repeat viewings, as much as the eye popping sets, costumes and photography. The blu ray is gorgeous but the 4K is sublime!
barbie space.jpg

Last edited:

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
There has not been a more original movie like Barbie in years. Everything was perfect, especially the acting, the script, the cinematography, and, lord almighty, the set design. But I guess all you saw was a chick flick, or maybe you're one of those who think of it as nothing more than an anti-male essay. Four out of five is ridiculous. Perhaps if they had set off an atomic bomb in Barbieland, you'd have liked it better.
Please elaborate.
There has not been a more original movie like Barbie in years. Everything was perfect, especially the acting, the script, the cinematography, and, lord almighty, the set design. But I guess all you saw was a chick flick, or maybe you're one of those who think of it as nothing more than an anti-male essay. Four out of five is ridiculous. Perhaps if they had set off an atomic bomb in Barbieland, you'd have liked it better.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
4 out of 5 doesn't exactly seem like a negative review to me. And that's coming from someone who also would have given it a higher rating than a 4.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

You must not have read my review. Also, if you have read my reviews in the 15 years I have been here at HTF, you would know that I very rarely hand out 5 out of 5's for the movie itself. A movie has to be incredibly special to receive that high honor. Where in my review did I refer to it as a "chick flick" or an "anti-male essay"? I never said anything negative about the film, and praised the casting and screenplay.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
4 out of 5? I know a reviewer who is an uptight stuffed shirt. But there's a lot of that going around here.
You can disagree with the reviewer’s film opinion but there is no reason to make personal comments towards our reviewer. Furthermore, I think a film grade of 4 out of 5 tells me the reviewer thinks Barbie is a very good movie and if you read his review, he was very complimentary towards Barbie with some additional comments.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
4 out of 5? I know a reviewer who is an uptight stuffed shirt. But there's a lot of that going around here.
So you think it is a perfect film and he thinks it a near perfect film. That is why they call it film reviewing. It is obvious that he thinks it doesn't quite reach a level for him to give it a perfect score.

I'll never get why a lot of people here think that the The Last Jedi is a good film, but I'm not going to insult them for thinking that even if I disagree.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Getting back to the disc itself, I agree that the extras are lacking here, especially given how successful the film was. A few years ago, I might have thought WB was holding onto more substantial material for a souped up special edition double dip down the line. Now, with physical media in decline, it seems far more likely that this is just all we're going to get for this movie. I still bought it for my collection.

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
You must not have read my review. Also, if you have read my reviews in the 15 years I have been here at HTF, you would know that I very rarely hand out 5 out of 5's for the movie itself. A movie has to be incredibly special to receive that high honor. Where in my review did I refer to it as a "chick flick" or an "anti-male essay"? I never said anything negative about the film, and praised the casting and screenplay.
So you don't give out five stars, huh? That, sir, is weak sauce. Very weak sauce. There has always been a hint of male superiority on this site. No, not a hint. It's heavily laden.
You never said anything negative, yet you have the flimsiest excuses for marking the most original film in decades down as a four. Well, it adds up. I see things as I see them. I call them as I see them. And the negativity for me doing so is just more oats to ignore. Let the denials begin, but I seldom make more than one post on a subject, occasionally two and see no need to do so here. I state my position, and it is what it is. I'm sorry Barbie made so many of you feel you were being put upon and couldn't get beyond that.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I see things as I see them. I call them as I see them. And the negativity for me doing so is just more oats to ignore. Let the denials begin, but I seldom make more than one post on a subject, occasionally two and see no need to do so here. I state my position, and it is what it is.
Yup. You stated your position. Frankly, that's what we do here.

"Most original film in decades."
"Everything was perfect, especially the acting, the script, the cinematography, and, lord almighty, the set design."

Got it.

Nobody is arguing with your critique of the film. Just your critique of the review.

You honestly seem to be anxious to stir things up by attacking the reviewer--whose opinion is not far off from yours. That is neither understood or appreciated.

If you want to continue to discuss the merits of Barbie, fine. We would appreciate that. But if you want to just argue with the reviewer, moderators and members, not fine. Continue at your own peril.

From our rulebook:

Conduct
10. No personal attacks. We expect all members to treat each other with consideration and respect. While we encourage lively debate, we do not allow personal attacks. This includes direct attacks, such as name-calling, as well as indirect attacks, such as repeated baiting of a member in a provocative or belittling manner. If you believe that you have been subjected to a personal attack, or have witnessed one on another member, please see the section on Dealing with Problems for instructions on how to proceed.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I for one, look forward to getting this in 4K. However, like I do with all studio movies, I'll wait for the price to drop a bit.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does Greta Gerwig typically not do deep bonus features or commentaries for her movies? Is there any reason to think this will get a re-release (sooner than later) with more material? I don’t know Gerwig’s movies at all.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Does Greta Gerwig typically not do deep bonus features or commentaries for her movies? Is there any reason to think this will get a re-release (sooner than later) with more material? I don’t know Gerwig’s movies at all.
Gerwig has a commentary on Lady Bird but the home video market is 'dead' so I think this is it. That's just a guess and they could announce a special edition tomorrow but how many recent movies have gotten a re-release?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks