What's new

American Fiction (2023) (12 Viewers)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If the trailer was the only issue, I could easily forgive that. The bigger problem to me is that the movie didn't work as well as I hoped it would. Although more of the jokes would be new if I hadn't seen the trailer, I don't think my opinion on the film would change because the issues I have with the storytelling would remain.

I'm glad I saw it. It certainly isn't a bad film. I just don't think it's a particularly great one either.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
As I wrote earlier, it's a movie where the two halves are in conflict with each other: The fire of the satire vs the dramedy.
If the family saga had genuinely melded with the social commentary it could have made it great, instead, it made the whole sag a bit. Clearly, the personal side is supposed to show that Wright's character has to deal with the "real life of Black America", but, it just typical TV fare.

Each "half" is decent, but, the whole never really achieves flight.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
While I agree it probably could/shoulda been better, guess we'll have to agree to disagree about quite how disappointing (or not at all) it ended up being, heh...

The film worked plenty well enough for me (enough that I find it at least as rewatchable as and actually slightly more enjoyable than The Holdovers so far)... though yes, again, I agree it has its flaws -- I just don't find those flaws nearly as big issues (vs all that are very-to-extremely enjoyable) for me...

IF I want an objectively great film, there are certainly plenty others... perhaps including Anatomy of A Fall, which I don't love at all, but admire, (or Anatomy of A Murder for that matter)... but if I want something like this, well, this is certainly one of the best (or at least most enjoyable) I've seen of this kind...

I would say I'd certainly much rather watch this than Barbie again, haha -- Barbie would probably fit the description of being a movie I wanted to love, especially after seeing it, but find myself feeling a good bit like you guys about American Fiction perhaps, heh...

I suppose we can also chalk this up to being a decent-to-pretty-good, if not (quite) great, directorial debut for Cord Jefferson...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Was anyone else surprised that
Tracie Ellis Ross was killed off so early into the movie? She had second billing in the trailer underneath Wright and she's barely in the film. I understand that her death forced Monk to take more responsibility for his mother. But I feel like it was a missed opportunity to lose that character that way because she was interesting and made a big impression in her three scenes or whatever it was. It just felt to me like there was more her character could have contributed to the story if she had remained alive.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Was anyone else surprised that
Tracie Ellis Ross was killed off so early into the movie? She had second billing in the trailer underneath Wright and she's barely in the film. I understand that her death forced Monk to take more responsibility for his mother. But I feel like it was a missed opportunity to lose that character that way because she was interesting and made a big impression in her three scenes or whatever it was. It just felt to me like there was more her character could have contributed to the story if she had remained alive.[/spoiler[

Well, if not that, I suppose we'd be forced to sit thru even more of a family dramedy that some didn't want/like, LOL. ;):lol:

Thing is... she was sharp and funny even after she was gone and was no longer on screen though... and her character didn't just completely disappear from the story either as there were other significant/meaningful references, traces, etc later...

Anyhoo, I didn't have a problem w/ it given how the story/film developed... and certainly, it's good that we could be as surprised/shocked (and maybe saddened and miss her) to some degree as the characters themselves...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, if not that, I suppose we'd be forced to sit thru even more of a family dramedy that some didn't want/like, LOL. ;):lol:
I think her continued presence would have made the family drama better.

American Fiction is based on a novel called Erasure which I've not read. I don't care enough about the movie to go read it. It is possible that Cord Jefferson, as the writer of the film, killed her because he was following the book; I don't know. I just felt like the movie deflated in her absence. I might be in the minority on this.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

American Fiction is based on a novel called Erasure which I've not read. I don't care enough about the movie to go read it. It is possible that Cord Jefferson, as the writer of the film, killed her because he was following the book; I don't know. I just felt like the movie deflated in her absence. I might be in the minority on this.

Don't know about better, but certainly very different anyway since it was a key turning/launching point at least for that very substantial aspect and story thread/narrative of the film. And as you pointed out, her character is so strong and interesting that aspect (and all related/involved) would necessarily be very different as a result me thinks.

I haven't read the book either... and although the film provides enough to intrigue me a bit, not sure I'm quite interested enough to invest the time and effort toward the book -- I very rarely am. Maybe just a Cliff Notes' or brief synopsis version or something, haha...

_Man_

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Don't know about better, but certainly very different anyway since it was a key turning/launching point at least for that very substantial aspect and story thread/narrative of the film. And as you pointed out, her character is so strong and interesting that aspect (and all related/involved) would necessarily be very different as a result me thinks.

I haven't read the book either... and although the film provides enough to intrigue me a bit, not sure I'm quite interested enough to invest the time and effort toward the book -- I very rarely am. Maybe just a Cliff Notes' or brief synopsis version or something, haha...

_Man_

Ok... I decided to do some quick lookups about the book to see if that would help... and the brief reviews, etc I found seem to suggest the film probably didn't change quite that much from the book.

Some version of the family dramedy is apparently very much in the book and probably substantially enough despite complaints about that in this thread. In my quick lookup, I didn't find whether the sister actually died or not though the various family members are essentially the same w/ largely the same issues, etc, but don't know about additional characters outside the family.

_Man_

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Ok... I decided to do some quick lookups about the book to see if that would help... and the brief reviews, etc I found seem to suggest the film probably didn't change quite that much from the book.

Here is a thorough piece comparing the book to the movie and it finds the film just as weak tea as I do: Key summary: "Where the 2001 novel was scathing in its look at white racial attitudes, “American Fiction” pulls punches, softening the book’s critique into something widely palatable."

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...angs-percival-everetts-scathing-novel-erasure

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Here is a thorough piece comparing the book to the movie and it finds the film just as weak tea as I do: Key summary: "Where the 2001 novel was scathing in its look at white racial attitudes, “American Fiction” pulls punches, softening the book’s critique into something widely palatable."

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...angs-percival-everetts-scathing-novel-erasure

Didn't you already share that review earlier (though the link seems to have changed some for whatever reason)?

As I indicated and the critic (and you) also acknowledged, it's the filmmaker's prerogative how exactly he wishes to adapt from the novel. Clearly, the film won't just be a literal, straight adaptation that would probably make it too long and probably not really work anyhow -- movies aren't books, but a very different medium.

And like just about anything else, it probably inevitably won't please everyone...

It might be better and more interesting to actually see/hear what the author, Everett, himself thinks of the film adaptation though...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Jeffrey Wright was interviewed on MSNBC tonight talking about American Fiction in relation to recent news. There is some political discussion at the beginning of the clip, so I'm not going to post it here. But for anyone who might want to look it up, it can be found on YouTube. I thought it was an interesting discussion.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just realized it's an MGM production. Sure hope there will be a BD (and/or 4K disc) release... but no guarantees these days, especially since Amazon owns/controls MGM now...

I haven't paid much/enough attention, but have they been releasing such MGM films on disc of late (besides the most recent James Bond flick, which was already a couple years back)?

_Man_

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Saw this last night and agree with @Jake Lipson snd @JoeStemme

I thought it was good not great with a sharp witty script and great performance by Jeffrey Wright. I hoped and thought it would be better but it was fine regardless. My wife loved it however. Different strokes and all.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I haven't paid much/enough attention, but have they been releasing such MGM films on disc of late (besides the most recent James Bond flick, which was already a couple years back)?
Creed III was released on physical media last May.

Bottoms and Saltburn (which, it should be noted, are smaller movies that made significantly less money theatrically than Creed III) have been released for digital purchase only.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Gruv is now taking pre-orders for a physical Blu-ray. This site is direct from the distributor, Studio Distribution Services, which handles physical media for Universal and Warner Bros. titles. So SDS is probably preparing a disc release. There would be no reason to take. pre-orders for something that will not exist.

I have no interest in owning this title personally. However, it is significant because I think this is the first Amazon-owned title in a while to get a disc release. Creed III did last year. I am not aware if there has been anything else since then. Bottoms, which got its theatrical and streaming release via Amazon, was licensed out to Kino for a pending disc release.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Technically, this is an MGM picture so the home video distribution deal with Studio Distribution Services (the Universal/Warner Bros. joint venture) that MGM signed before it was acquired by Amazon would still apply.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Technically, this is an MGM picture
Yes. But wouldn't it ultimately be up to Amazon as to whether or not the movie gets a physical release? Even if they have a distribution deal with SDS, I doubt every film they put out is required to be released. They could have chosen to keep it as a streaming exclusive. It's a good thing they aren't doing that.

Incidentally, Amazon themselves are not taking pre-orders for the disc yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks