What's new

Press Release USHE Press Release: Asteroid City (2023) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
edfe0770-b4f2-0da4-b380-ec1922a6b2aa.png
THE SUMMER BOX-OFFICE HIT COMEDY SOARS
WITH A STELLAR ENSEMBLE CAST LED BY
JASON SCHWARTZMAN, SCARLETT JOHANSSON AND TOM HANKS

NOW YOURS TO OWN FOR THE FIRST TIME WITH
ALL-NEW BONUS CONTENT PRESENTED BY WES ANDERSON
ced6c697-75d3-e4ee-5c92-e094cc77bb30.png
ON DIGITAL AUGUST 11, 2023
ON BLU-RAY™ AND DVD AUGUST 15, 2023
FROM UNIVERSAL PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT

“WES ANDERSON’S BEST FILM” – THE DAILY BEAST
Universal City, California, August 3, 2023 – Jason Schwartzman (The French Dispatch, The Grand Budapest Hotel), Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow, Jojo Rabbit), and Tom Hanks (Elvis, News of the World) star in the “hilarious and joyful” (GQ) comedy ASTEROID CITY, available to own with all-new bonus content on Digital on August 11, 2023 and on Blu-ray™ and DVD on August 15, 2023 from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. Written and directed by seven-time Oscar® nominee Wes Anderson (Isle of Dogs, Moonrise Kingdom), ASTEROID CITY on Digital, Blu-ray™ and DVD showcases brand-new featurettes with exclusive talent and filmmaker interviews that dive deeper into the film’s unique characters, story, and themes of community and curiosity, lifting the curtain on Anderson’s extraordinary vision.

Certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, ASTEROID CITY “packs a punch with its ensemble cast” (Slash Film), featuring an all-star, critically acclaimed supporting cast alongside Schwartzman, Johansson, and Hanks, including Jeffrey Wright (“Westworld”, No Time To Die), Tilda Swinton (Suspiria, Michael Clayton), Adrien Brody (The Pianist, The Darjeeling Limited), Bryan Cranston (“Breaking Bad”, Trumbo), Edward Norton (Glass Onion, Birdman), Liev Schreiber (“Ray Donovan”, X-Men Origins: Wolverine), Hope Davis (“Your Honor”, “Succession”), Stephen Park (The French Dispatch, “Fargo”), Rupert Friend (The Young Victoria, Pride & Prejudice), Maya Hawke (“Stranger Things”, Do Revenge), Steve Carell (“The Office”, “The Morning Show”), Matt Dillon (There’s Something About Mary, The House That Jack Built), Hong Chau (The Whale, The Menu), Willem Dafoe (Spider-Man franchise, The Florida Project), Margot Robbie (Barbie, Suicide Squad, I, Tonya), Tony Revolori (The Grand Budapest Hotel, Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Spider-Man franchise), Jake Ryan (Moonrise Kingdom, Eighth Grade) and Jeff Goldblum (Jurassic Park franchise, Independence Day).

A fictional American desert town, circa 1955. Junior Stargazers and Space Cadets from across the country assemble for the annual Asteroid Day celebration -- but the scholarly competition is spectacularly upended by world-changing events. Equal parts comedy, drama, and romance (with a touch of science-fiction).

EXCLUSIVE BONUS FEATURES ON DIGITAL, BLU-RAYTM & DVD:
  • The Making of Asteroid City – With Wes Anderson as your guide, take a personal tour behind the scenes of “Asteroid City”and get insider’s access into set creation, performer preparation, music rehearsals and more.
    • Desert Town – Wes Anderson pulls back the curtain on the creation of Asteroid City with an intimate look at what goes into building a town in the middle of a desert and bringing its quirks to life.
    • Doomsday Carnival (Digital, Blu-ray™, DVD Exclusive) – Go even further inside Asteroid City as period costumes, classic cars, and camera tricks combine to create a bustling midway of carnival rides and lookie-loos anticipating an alien arrival.
    • Montana and Ranch Hands – Witness a quiet prayer evolve into a hand-clapping country hoedown as the film’s fictional band inspires a sudden dance number through their banjo, bass, and washboard.
    • The Players (Digital, Blu-ray™, DVD Exclusive) – Go behind-the-scenes with the stars of Asteroid City.
  • The Alien (Digital Exclusive) – Designers come up with the concept and Jeff Goldblum suits up in the costume to create the captivating look and mesmerizing movements of the movie’s extraterrestrial creature.
  • The Roadrunner (Digital Exclusive) – Get a peek at the planning, puppeteering, and careful camera positioning that animates an artificial animal with scene-stealing personality.

Filmmakers:
Cast:
Jason Schwartzman, Scarlett Johansson, Tom Hanks, Jeffrey Wright, Tilda Swinton, Bryan Cranston, Edward Norton, Adrien Brody, Liev Schreiber, Hope Davis, Stephen Park, Rupert Friend, Maya Hawke, Steve Carell, Matt Dillon, Hong Chau, Willem Dafoe, Margot Robbie, Tony Revolori, Jake Ryan, Jeff Goldblum
Casting By: Douglas Aibel
Music Supervisor: Randall Poster
Music By: Alexandre Desplat
Costume Designer: Milena Canonero
Film Editor: Barney Pilling, ACE
Additional Editor: Andrew Weisblum, ACE
Production Designer: Adam Stockhausen
Director Of Photography: Robert Yeoman, ASC
Co-Producers: Octavia Peissel, John Peet
Line Editor: Frédéric Blum
Executive Producers: Roman Coppola, Henning Molfenter, Christoph Fisser, Charlie Woebcken
Produced By: Wes Anderson, Steven Rales, Jeremy Dawson
Alpert P.G.A.
Story By: Wes Anderson, Roman Coppola
Screenplay By: Wes Anderson
Directed By: Wes Anderson

TECHNICAL INFORMATION BLU-RAYTM:
Street Date: August 15, 2023
Selection Number: 191329241929 (US)
Layers: BD 50
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 2.39:1 Widescreen
Rating: PG-13 for brief graphic nudity, smoking and some suggestive material
Subtitles: English SDH, French Canadian and Latin American Spanish
Languages/Sound: English (DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, Dolby Digital 2.0 for Bonus Content), French Canadian (DTS Digital Surround 5.1) and Latin American Spanish (DTS-HD Digital Surround 5.1)
Run Time: 01:44:50

TECHNICAL INFORMATION DVD:
Street Date: August 15, 2023
Selection Number: 191329241936 (US)
Layers: DVD 9
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
Rating: PG-13 for brief graphic nudity, smoking and some suggestive material
Subtitles: English SDH, Complex Mandarin, French Canadian, Korean, Latin American Spanish
Languages/Sound: English (Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital 2.0 for Bonus Content), French Canadian (Dolby Digital 5.1), and Latin American Spanish (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Run Time: 01:44:59

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Compulsory "Wait for the Criterion" response.
Especially now that Criterion is doing 4K. Given how visually boffo he is, I'm basically holding off on any future Wes Anderson films, because I can't see them not getting the push and the ones I already have are some of the handful of movies I'll make the change for. But it's the reason I never picked up French Dispatch.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Especially now that Criterion is doing 4K. Given how visually boffo he is, I'm basically holding off on any future Wes Anderson films, because I can't see them not getting the push and the ones I already have are some of the handful of movies I'll make the change for. But it's the reason I never picked up French Dispatch.

Hell, Criterion hasn't even done an edition of Isle of Dogs yet.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Saw this theatrically on Friday. My least enjoyable Wes Anderson since The Darjeeling Limited. I was looking at my watch and fidgeting, after an hour. He's turned into Woody Allen: perfectly executed, but you pretty much know now exactly what you're going to get.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
Hell, Criterion hasn't even done an edition of Isle of Dogs yet.

The Darjeeling Limited (2007) - Criterion 2010
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) - Criterion 2014
Moonrise Kingdom (2012) - Criterion 2015
The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - Criterion 2020
Isle of Dogs (2018)

The gap between theatrical release and Criterion release is 3-6 years. I bet we see Isle of Dogs this year or next.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
The Darjeeling Limited (2007) - Criterion 2010
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) - Criterion 2014
Moonrise Kingdom (2012) - Criterion 2015
The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - Criterion 2020
Isle of Dogs (2018)

The gap between theatrical release and Criterion release is 3-6 years. I bet we see Isle of Dogs this year or next.

I'm sure Criterion is limited by the licensing terms from the original studios.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, in Anderson's case (after Life Aquatic), that's only 20th Century Fox Searchlight.

Actually, Asteroid City is not a Searchlight release. It is being distributed by Focus Features/Universal. They also released Moonrise Kingdom.

I bet we see Isle of Dogs this year or next.

I hope so. It is my favorite Anderson film and the one movie I got to see at the CineramaDome while on vacation. So that particular movie has special significance to me. (Sadly, while the dome is still there, it has not reopened from Covid.)

I have the original release of Isle of Dogs, but I would gladly upgrade to a Criterion release.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I kind of assume that Anderson puts Criterion releases into his contracts at this point. Now, what the terms are, I have no clue.

Mark VH

Second Unit
A lovely movie and one of Anderson's very best IMO. I'll be grabbing this as I feel no great need to wait for the eventual Criterion.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm sure Criterion is limited by the licensing terms from the original studios.

Well, in Anderson's case (after Life Aquatic), that's only 20th Century Fox Searchlight.

Actually, Asteroid City is not a Searchlight release. It is being distributed by Focus Features/Universal. They also released Moonrise Kingdom.
I wouldn't completely rule out Isle of Dogs and The French Dispatch getting Criterion releases eventually. Disney has licenced to Criterion relatively recently. As for Asteroid City, I would fully expect a Criterion release on the same timeline as say, Parasite from Uni to Criterion.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
After seeing this initially, when it premiered in June, I saw it again, with my son, in one of the most extraordinary cinemas in the world: Kino International in Berlin. This unique cinema is preserved from when it was originally built, in East Berlin, in 1963. There is still only one auditorium, with a gigantic screen. They had Asteroid City showing, when we were there last month - so of course we had to go! And this time round, I loved it! Of course, my son laughing away helped, as well as the simply amazing cinema. But I still think Asteroid City rates lower than all Wes Anderson films, made during the last decade.
IMG_4122.jpeg

IMG_4123.jpeg IMG_4124.jpeg IMG_4128.jpeg IMG_4125.jpeg IMG_4127.jpeg IMG_4131.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks