What's new

Speaker package for around $1000 (no sub) (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
well, i'm growing ever-tired of the 5 Cambridge SoundWorks Ensemble IV cubes in my dorm room. i'm already thinking about a speaker update for next semester. i've heard some great stuff and a personal recommendation from my brother for Axiom Audio's speakers. the package i'm looking at is http://www.audioshop.on.ca/axiomhts.htm
-thomas
------------------
-Thomas
Click here to visit my webpage.

John Gates

Second Unit
Thomas,
I'm sorry to hear that nOrh's are too weird for you... ;-)
Have you considered the Prism line from nOrh? These are not the drum-style speakers you have probably seen, but rather a unique MDF design. Looks more like a regular speaker, but it's designed with very high quality drivers, exceptional internal parts, and a cabinet designed to eliminate standing waves.
Here's a link for more detail on the Prism line if you are interested: http://www.norh.com/products/prism/index.html
The Ascend Accousitcs 170 package just receved a very, very good review from www.cheaphometheater.com. That would be worth checking out.
Your brother's recommendation for Axiom speakers is solid. I haven't heard these myself, but they have a very good rep with devoted followers.
Swan's Diva line is also well-respected.
All of these are direct-to-consumer companies, but I'm sure you could find forum members who own these who'd be willing to demo.
Good luck!
John
------------------
System:
Onkyo 787
Mains: nOrh SM 6.9 (shipping NOW)
Center: nOrh marble 4.0
Surrounds: nOrh wood 4.0
Rear Center: nOrh prism 4.1
Subwoofers: 2 x SVS 20-39 CS w/Fidek Amp
Pics: http://www.geocities.com/givinit2him/

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
no offense to the nOrh owners (i'm sure they sound great!), but i think i'd get srtange reactions for having something that, well, unique sitting in my dorm room or apartment next year. even the prisms dont seem to appeal to me...there are plenty of other great speaker brands out there that i'm open to though.
anyone have a comparison between Ascend and Axiom? can i afford paradigms? other brands/models?
patriot.gif

------------------
-Thomas

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Yes,you can afford paradigm.Perhaps 2 pairs of mini monitors and the matching center.
How about klipsch...I just love Klipsch.For a grand you can do a pair of sf-1(towers,single 6 1/2 driver,I was able to get the sf-2 for the price of the 1's.The 2's have dual 6 1/2 drivers) matching center and a pair of sb-1's for the rears.That would be right at $1000.I think my sf-2,sc-1 and sb-1's were $1006.
Paradigm and Klipsch are the only 2 makers I am aware of pricing on so I hope this helped some.
------------------
My dvd collection
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
glad someone said Klipsch. heard only great stuff about their speakers. Chad- where did you get your sf-2's from?? and how did you get that price? might the dealer be willing to sell another set at that price? thanks again; i'll definately check them out...
------------------
-Thomas

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Thomas,
Imo, the Axioms will be hard to beat, considering bang for buck. Klipsch? Worthy contenders from what little I've heard. I like their higher end stuff.. but can't decide whether I like the the lower echelon Klipsch or not.. as always, sound is such a personal choice.
wink.gif

Do you want floor standers for mains? If so, you should be able to stay inside $1k with something like M50Ti/VP100/M3Ti combo from Marc at Audioshop.
I very recently got M60Ti/VP100/M3Ti factory blems for well under $1k.. delivered. As they break in, I find I like the sound more and more. I'm running them with a 20-39cs sub.
I really like Paradigm, and would love to be able to run a comparison in my listening room with some Studio 40 or 60.
I've also heard good things about Ascend Acoustics amd HTD. I dunno if the Divas would be a consideration or not.
------------------
--RR
[Edited last by Rick Radford on September 21, 2001 at 06:52 PM]
[Edited last by Rick Radford on September 21, 2001 at 06:55 PM]

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
How about the B&W 300 series package?
I believe that the 300s are now utilizing the Kevlar mids and the Nautilus tweeter that the Nautilus line takes advantage of.
I'm not sure what the pricing would be....but I know that a pair of 601s (the next series up) is right around $450/pr.
If you could get those 301s/02s with a matching CC3 center, should be close to $1k.
Jeremy

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Have you considered the Energy Take 5.2? They are within your price range and finished beautifully. For the money, they are one of the best sounding surround systems.
Larry.

David Head

Second Unit
I suggest you add PSB Image speakers to your list. I compared the PSB speakers with the B&W 600 series and Paradigm Studio series. I ended up buying the PSB speakers and am VERY happy. You can read my thoughts here .
You have one dealer close to you that carries the PSB line:
Hi-Tech Audio
1818 E. Pioneer Parkway, #102
Arlington, TX 76010
817-226-4800
For less than $1000 you could get one of the following PSB Image sets:
1 pair 3LR fronts, 1 8C center and 1 pair 1B surrounds
1 pair 4T fronts, 1 8C center and 1 pair 1B surrounds
The 3LRs would require speaker stands, but I preferred the sound and look over the floor standing 4Ts.
David

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
thank you all very much for your input! i will DEFINATELY look into everything suggested. i like B&Ws and the PSB's looked great from what i saw.
i can't wait- too bad my purchase date is next july!!!!!
frown.gif

patriot.gif

------------------
-Thomas

David Head

Second Unit
Thomas,
I noticed that you're using an Onkyo TX-DS595 (after looking at your home theater page) and thought I'd mention that I'm also using an Onkyo to drive my PSBs (a TX-DS696). The PSBs are VERY efficient - 91 to 92 db - so you won't have any problem driving them with your receiver.
Good luck in your search and make sure you listen to all the brands you're interested in before you make a choice.
David
[Edited last by David Head on September 23, 2001 at 01:10 PM]

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Wow! lots of good feedback...thank you all!
i'm currently eyeing the PSB Image 6T towers...hmmm, maybe i could work more and reward myself with top-of-the (Image) line floor-standing towers?! that would be sweet packaged with an Image 9C center speaker. after reading that post about spending as much as possible on the front 3, this could REALLY be an option! i'm gonna go look at the Paradigms tomorrow or the next day at Marvin's Electronics (heard great stuff about them) and i'll have to make the trip to Arlington to hear those PSBs. what should i buy for cheap(er) surrounds? (i plan to sell the 5 CSW cubes.)
i'm already seriously looking for what's to be bought next summer! somebody stop me! http://www.yawaonline.com I WANT!
thanks again guys...
patriot.gif

[Edited last by Thomas_Berg on September 23, 2001 at 03:41 PM]

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Rick,
I was wondering how you were enjoying your M60s (and the rest of your Axiom set up). I never did see your review of them...I figured that you were still in your favorite chair watching DVDs!
Ron

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
UPDATE: i went into a local hifi dealer on tuesday to demo some Paradigms. the guy had me listen to a few and then we discussed price. he said i could get a pair of Monitor 7's with a CC-370 for around a grand, so i am very interested. we listened to (my favorite) Dave Matthews. i really liked the clarity they brought, and the depth and detail of the sound was the same at loud AND soft volumes! i hadn't heard Dave sound that good (without Sennheisers
wink.gif
) since the legendary B&W 801's i demoed last year! this is nothing my CSW cubes can do. i was very impressed by Paradigm.
then he pointed me to a new pair of B&W 603's. these are too expensive for me to grab a center channel and stay under $1K, but MAN they sounded great! i think i want floor-standers though, just because i'm gonna have -well- college buddies with me alot. the tendancy of floor-standers to fall over isnt as high as with speakers on stands (i dont think...).
well, today i went to my only "local" (hour drive) PSB dealer to demo some 6T's. the store is not very nice and had bad service. the lady that showed me around didn't know too much and i had to help adjust the speaker settings. beyond that, the towers sounded about on par with Paradigm. i liked the volume they put out more, but the bass was murky. i figure if i turn the crossover on the SVS up high, i could free myself from this, BUT i still wasn't as impressed as i was with the Monitor 7's. (i do think PSB makes a damn good-looking speaker though!)
so until i can hear some Axioms (which i am VERY interested in comparing with Paradigms), i think i have my mind set on a pair of Monitor 7's and a CC-370. opinions?
ps- anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area have any Axiom speakers?
------------------
-Thomas
My webpage
[Edited last by Thomas_Berg on October 05, 2001 at 10:58 PM]

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Don't rule out Acoustic Research Hi-Res Series either.
You can pick up a pair of AR9 Towers ($999.00 Retail) for
$550.00 from www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com add an AR2C Center
and a pair of AR Hi-Res Bookshelf's and you now have a
package worthy of an audiophile's ear. The Sensitivity of
the Hi-Res series is astounding (94 Db) and the clarity
from the 2 5.25" Mag-Alloy MidRanges and the 1" Titanium
tweeter in a M-T-M aramgement. There is also a high
excursion 10" subwoofer in each cabinent and these towers
are Bi-Wire/Bi-Amp configurable.
I can not say enough good things about them. I have all AR
for my Front Stage L/R my Center and my Surround L/R and
soon to have AR Back Surround L/R as well.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I bought as a gift for my dad a pair of Klipsch klf-20 from JandR Music worls for $740 a pair. They are simply awsome. 3 way speakers sytem with dual 10" woofers. check out audioreview.com and look what everyone thinks about them. Stores are clearing them out !!!

Yoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
ProCinema 100 with C2 center is definitely a contender. I love its explosive while yet smooth sound works great, especially for movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks