What's new

First Timer. Be Gentle (1 Viewer)

rbkraz

Auditioning
Real Name
ryan
Hey team

So, I don't know much of anything when it comes to speakers/receivers/setup. All of my knowledge has been gained from reading "best of" articles on popular reviewer sites over the last few days and I wanted to hear it from you guys before I pull the trigger on much of anything.

I'm finishing my basement and I will have a room that will be about 20x12x7.5 (old house with exposed sub floor, thus the goofy height) when all studded and drywalled. I will play my Xbox down there but otherwise it'll mostly be for TV and a little music. I have a pretty minimal budget for surround since I have to furnish the entire basement and spend money on other goodies like a TV, so I am thinking around 800ish dollars for a receiver and speakers/sub.

This is the review sites picks for things in that budget range:
Yamaha 379 receiver
Pioneer SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Package. Either bookshelf or tower
Dayton 1000 or 1200 sub
or the Energy Take Classic 5.1 set.

So my question to you gurus is are the above really all their cracked up to be? Are there better/cheaper alternatives within my price range? Am I going about this all wrong?

Thanks in advance!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I think that if you're going to a entry level 5.1 you're definitely on the right track. I don't think there is anything wrong with the AVR that you picked out. That 379 is a great entry level AVR that has plenty of features in a low cost price point. I would only mention that you can get it or something very similar refurbed for less money. For instance this HTR-3068 refurb is supposed to be just like it and the price is $200. That extra $80 could be spent on the speakers or in accessories like stands or mounts.

For speakers...of the three sets that you mentioned I would go with the FS Pioneer set (and a Dayton sub if you can) as the pioneer sub that comes with the bookshelf set was underwhelming to me and others (check out some reviews). The Energy set is good for what it is but with your budget you can step up. Assuming that you want a 5.1 straight away I would also look at these sets in additon to the FS set.
  1. Boston CS2310 $350 Sats about the same size as the Energy set but with a bigger subwoofer. For the same price I think I would go with this set, if you like cherry.
  2. Focal Sib&Cub $600 Larger sats that can be wall or shelf mounted. I think these would be a great all around setup and if you go with the refurb AVR would still in your budget.
  3. DefTech ProCinema 400 $500 Entry level DefTech's that should also be a good all around setup.
  4. Boston CS2300 $200 + Boston CSSub10 $180 very similiar to the first set but in black. This leaves you plenty of budget left for any accessories needed.
  5. Piece together your own - so many options but something like this would be good. (2) Pioneer BS22 sets $100ea, matching center $100, and a BIC F12 sub $230 and you're in business. If you wanted to be matching go with the BIC DV62$120 and matching center $105.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks