What's new

Looking at new SVS PB-1000 sub(s) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Ok, I'm toying with the idea of a new sub or subs. Right now, I'm using a Mirage BPSS-210 (10" drivers in a sealed box) bi-polar sub, set up at the rear of the room. The sub had stood me in good stead for 15+ years, but it seems like lately I have to start turning it down to keep it from bottoming on newer releases that are bass heavy, especially atmos tracks.

I have been reading that a dual sub set up is a better way to go. My living room is just under 12' by approx.16' long. It is open on one side to dining room and hallway. I've been looking at SVS subs. Their wizard recommends an Ultra 16 as a match for my CM9s. Unfortunately, 16s are too big for the available space as well as too expensive if I want to try a dual sub, front to rear, set up.

I watched a review on "Subwoofer101" for the SVS PB-1000 series. The reviewer had a pretty positive review for them, basically saying that they were good down to the advertised 21Hz via measurement. He mentioned that they would go as low as 17Hz. Right now, I can get a pair of these new for 1330 Canadian with free shipping.

Honestly, I'm more partial to the ultra PB-13 series. Unfortunately, they are 5300 Canadian for a pair. I'm not sure I really want to spend 5000+ on a set of speakers at this time.

I'd like to get impressions on the sound quality of the PB-1000s from anybody who owns one or a set of them. How do you like them and do you ever have situations where you find them bottoming out. Do you prefer a the sealed box version or the ported ones? Sealed box would certainly work better footprint-wise, but the reviewer on "Subwoofer101" had the view that the ported box had more low end presence on movie, even though he measured the seal box versions as being able to go lower than the PBs.

What do you think? Would the 1000s be an improvement compared to my old Mirage sub. Let me know, thanks.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
Edwin,

You would definitely notice the dual PB-1000 as an upgrade from the Mirage if you have them located appropriately and dialed in. That said, your Mirage is actually a pretty powerful sub. It would compete much more closely with the higher end models in SVS lineup.

If I were you, I'd keep the Mirage, and buy 1 higher end SVS sub, (13 ultra is a good option), and then run those two together.

Dual subwoofer setups always outperform single - and as long as you are willing to run Audyssey/MCACC/YPAO for room correction, the end result will be very pleasing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Edwin:

I'm a PB-1000 owner...but can't answer a lot of questions about comparisons to your Mirage sub, about running dual subs or about a comparison with an SB-1000.

What I can tell you is that since getting the sub from SVS several years ago, I have never been wanting for bass in my 12x15' LR...which is open to both my DR and front hall (two big archways in an old-style early 1900s main floor design).

I also don't push my gear as hard as many here. Most times I'm simply watching fare (dramas, TV shows) with my wife. But on those occasions when I crank things up for a fun, loud action film it has never disappointed. And I also love 5.1 music mixes and it really holds up the bottom end of those terrifically.

I have only ever used Audyssey to set up my system. So I've got no graphs to show off. And I've never done a sub crawl or any such thing to position it. Because since my gear is in our main living area, I have my PB-1000 hidden out of the way under an end table in the corner of my room. So, the WAF and aesthetics situation has total control over my sub placement (along with my low-end budget). But even with that being the case, the sub fills the room when given the proper source signal. (I actually had to measure the dimensions under that table to make sure my sub would fit there...or else come up with another solution! The same WAF DID allow me a couple years ago to upgrade some lesser Polk towers into five much better Polk RTi bookshelves which I have mounted on the walls. So that was a plus!)

It's not a lot for you to go on...but thought I'd add my two cents in case it helped.

full

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
Honestly, I'm more partial to the ultra PB-13 series. Unfortunately, they are 5300 Canadian for a pair. I'm not sure I really want to spend 5000+ on a set of speakers at this time.

What about one PB-13 then? Duals will provide additional output, of course, but a single unit in a room the size of yours will be more than enough. Duals can also help even out room modes, but they must be placed corrected and tuned properly for you to derive that benefit. In a smaller space that's not always feasible though.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I too had a mirage sub (Omni-S8)
And I felt it was time to make an upgrade to an SVS PB-1000.
I've always loved SVS stuff and glad to be buying one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gyao