What's new

Reliable plate amps and where to find online? (1 Viewer)

Blue Fury

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Hello all I'm new here and to home audio. My name is Jason aka Blue Fury- after my ferocious car, a '96 Lumina LS previously owned my my grandma. Its also the name I use in the other forums Im on. I've been in car audio for the past few years and know my way around there pretty well and recently got interested in home audio. I already have a Sony 5.1 setup that Ive had for almost 8 years and its still going strong.

My question is what are reliable brands that make high powered plate amps for subwoofers (used for music)? Both near 1000 watts. Details on their application below.

My friend moved into a house out in the country and we host parties there occasionally where dancing usually breaks out. Right now the music comes from his computer speaker and subwoofer package and it's realllllllly weak, especially when the bass hits lol the little ported subwoofer has so much chuffing noise. So what he wants is to get the music LOUD. I know he could care less about sq because everyone would be focused on looking good and dancing.
He wants something like this:

This is what he wanted, but I'll probably convince him that less speakers will be fine.
The highs are taken care of- he has a receiver (needs to be repaired) to power the speakers however it doesn't power the sub. I have a sub picked out for him-
Mach5Audio IXL-15.2.2 [M5A-IXL15.2.2] - $220.00 : SoundSolutionsAudio.com!, Car Audio at its Best! Just as it says, the amp should be around 800 watts. It will be in a simple ported box. But if you know something better around that price, let me know.

The other application is for me. I recently burnt the leads on my fosgate power hx2 10" sub and now am left with the basket and magnet. Im told I can easily get a custom recone kit that will convert it for use in a ht. Whether I repair it for music or for ht use, it will probably be in either a 1/4 wave, 6th order, a horn if I can fit it in the free space in my room, or a ported box. So with these I'd need to find an amp that ranges from 250 (horn or 1/4 wave) to 1000 watts.

My friend is on a budget so without naming really cheap pawn shop crap, the lower priced the better. Whatever the price of the most inexpensive reliable amp with that power will be the budget. He wouldn't really tell the difference between good and bad equipment anyway, he just wants it to last a few years and be loud. I also have a budget, but usually end up spending more on the better product. Say no more than $500 but prolonged persuasion on your end might raise that number.

Thanks

Blue Fury

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Sorry for the bump, I can't find the 'edit' button

Well I asked around on a couple other forums and if I go the route of a ported box, Ill use the hpsa1000-r from partsexpress or its baby brother if I go the horn route.

John A. Casler

Second Unit

That is the amp I would suggest, and I would NOT get the plate amp version, but the component version.

We use a slightly modded versions for our VMPS Subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks